AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

AMD will happily let you get a Kaveri plus a 280X, or a 260X to go with a non Kaveri CPU.. If that's not what you want I'm confident you have to wait for the next, 20nm generation. They've just had their line up ready, only missing a R260 non X (there are still 7770 and 7790 in the channels)

But it's also too slow in terms of Pixel and Texelrate.

A GTX 680 can beat a 280X. There certainly must be a compromis between a 280X and a 290. A $300 Hawaii-based card, at least as fast as a GTX 770, is where you'd hit the nerve of the consumer.

Wat? The 280X easily beats the GTX680. It's even faster than the GTX770!

AMD will happily let you get a Kaveri plus a 280X, or a 260X to go with a non Kaveri CPU.. If that's not what you want I'm confident you have to wait for the next, 20nm generation. They've just had their line up ready, only missing a R260 non X (there are still 7770 and 7790 in the channels)

Intersting point and perhaps a question Dave could answer...

Can the TrueAudio chip in Kaveri be used if the GPU itself isn't being used? i.e. you have a dGPU either from AMD that doesn't support TrueAudio or from another vendor?

AMD will happily let you get a Kaveri plus

I wouldn't hold any very high hopes or expectations, Kaveri will be the typical CPU launch from AMD in recent years, aka disappointing

Oh, and on very very nice article:

What’s the state of the GPU union?

That scenario is unfortunately not likely: fanboys of each brand will only buy their preferred brand, whereas the rest of the consumers will buy whatever their budget and requirements allow them, either begrudgingly buying AMD hardware because it’s affordable but not necessarily stable or reliable despite having solid performance, or begrudgingly buying Nvidia hardware despite the steep and questionable price points.

The state of the GPU market in 2013 is largely unchanged. Let us hope for the best in 2014.

HFR:
IMG0043355.png

TechReport:
value-99th.gif

Obviously, your mileage may vary, etc.

Okay, after doing some more research, I think a Tahiti XTL based card like the MSI 280X Gaming 3G should be about as fast or faster than a GTX 770 @1080p.

Mantle and 3GB VRAM is what pushes be to Team Red, because Nvidia is just way too overpriced.
That card certainly should suffice to play Next-gen console ports on PC @1080p/No-AA sufficiently, right?

That card certainly should suffice to play Next-gen console ports on PC @1080p/No-AA sufficiently, right?

Considering it's much faster than the PS4 GPU in every respect there's no reason other than poor optimisation why it shouldn't be able to outperform the PS4 (and by extension the XBO) in every scenario. So if the game is 1080p on the PS4 then 1080p with lots of AA should be easily achievable. If the game is 720p on the PS4 then 1080p might be possible with the same framerate at a struggle.

I'm not sure how you conclude that, the 280x is slower than the 7970Ghz which in turn was roughly equal to the 680 and slower than the 770.

Hmm, it does seem to vary depending on where you look. After a bit more research I conclude that the 280X is about even with the 770. Definitely a fair bit faster than the 680 - as is the 770.

Hmm, it does seem to vary depending on where you look. After a bit more research I conclude that the 280X is about even with the 770. Definitely a fair bit faster than the 680 - as is the 770.

This is a proof of how far GCN drivers evolved plus how nVidia and AMD designs 'age' (new games - new loads for GPU's)

It's almost identical to how Radeon X1900XT(X) aged compared to GF7900 in more shader heavy games.

Yes you're right, it seems the drivers have moved on since the initial 770 reviews. I've just cross referenced 50 different benchmarks at 1080p across 6 different sites (yes I'm at a loose end lol) and the 770 only came in at 1.79% faster overall.

Have any numbers on mantle performance gains come out of the AMD developers summit yet? I believe AMD promised as much. I'm really interested in seeing the results!

Have any numbers on mantle performance gains come out of the AMD developers summit yet? I believe AMD promised as much. I'm really interested in seeing the results!

Nothing very concrete, except for "3× faster in some scenes" from the Nitrous guys, but presumably that's for very special cases with boatloads of draw calls.

What is AMD's next descktop arch ? I havnt heard anything about it yet. All I hear about is Maxwell from Nvidia. Im sure AMD have something to counter it ??

Back