AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think for a second. Why would AMD ditch, for example, the delta colour compression tech from Tonga in order to make Polaris an evolution of Hawaii. A key component of Tonga that differentiates it from Hawaii. An evolution from Hawaii.

Do you see how stupid your question is?
Do you see how anal you are being?
Again I see it being Tonga, I keep saying that, and one reason is the delta compression among other factors - maybe you could had just asked why I felt it was based upon Tonga.
But people keep comparing it to Hawaii, and to keep an unbiased open mind I am happy to let others still do that until it is fully confirmed it is an evolution of Tonga - you cannot have a true conclusion without the facts.
I assume you are going to contact all sites and annoy anyone who talks about Polaris in same breath with comparison to Hawaii cards without a full set of caveats, or is it just me?

Performance comparisons and architectural comparisons are two completely separate things. Just because a site compares Polaris 10 to Hawaii doesn't mean they are making an architectural comparison.

I think it is reasonable to compare Hawaii and Polaris.
I think using the phrase "is an evolution of" has implications regarding the technological basis of Polaris that implies that it developed without involving GCN3 for some reason.

I would say that if Polaris did evolve from Hawaii, it would potentially have even more deep implications with regards to Polaris being defined by console hardware and how it might interact with the upcoming hardware in that market.

Performance comparisons and architectural comparisons are two completely separate things. Just because a site compares Polaris 10 to Hawaii doesn't mean they are making an architectural comparison.
No.
People are doing comparisons beyond vague performance and including or surmising specs (most will assume Polaris and Hawaii are similar-based on each other rather than Tonga), the most recent example was the posts by Carsten/myself with what VideoCardz did.
And those comparing performance, only a very few has mentioned potential of architecture in terms of Tonga-Fiji and Hawaii, which is important if doing any comparison or talking about how Polaris and 480 has improved for games.
Further compounded by using mostly unverified data performance.

Anyway if you are doing performance comparisons, you ideally should also include the previous card architecture Polaris evolved/developed/focus from, this is happening but not all the time (one of the few times this was done well was talking about perf/watt) otherwise there is no reference baseline.
If your basing the performance comparison from data provided by the AMD presentation, well sorry but back then Tonga and Fiji was mentioned in discussions here, while not by many tech sites.

Edit:
I can accept the argument around the term evolution, as each of us has a slightly different take on its use in this context, and how loose or tight such a word should be used describing the change to develop Polaris.

Last edited:
What a stupid question. Why would it be an evolution of Hawaii.
In the same sense as homo sapiens sapiens are an evolution of not only homo sapiens neanderthalensis but also homo erectus. I cannot see much stupidity, maybe a little shortsighteness here. *shrug*

Between Hawaii and Tonga/Fiji there seems to have been an improvement in the rates for 4x FP16, where it was almost full rate.
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/937-4/performances-theoriques-pixels.html
That's the effect of the framebuffer compression. Radeon ROPs can do full speed 4xFP16 for quite some time already (even with blending), they are usually limited by available bandwidth in throughput tests. Look at Tahiti for instance with its 384bit interface for just 32 ROPs. It also gives you a higher FP16 rate compared to Hawaii. And with framebuffer compression, the effective bandwidth is obviously high enough to saturate the ROPs in this test.

In the same sense as homo sapiens sapiens are an evolution of not only homo sapiens neanderthalensis but also homo erectus. I cannot see much stupidity, maybe a little shortsighteness here. *shrug*

AMD are probably reusing some tech from way back but calling Polaris an evolution of Cypress would raise eyebrows.

I know this goes offtopic, but homo sapiens sapiens isn't evolution of homo neanderthalensis (sapiens really doesn't belong here). Modern human, so called "homo sapiens sapiens", includes actually several distinctable subspecies.
There's still obviously debates on it, but for example "europeans" are mostly crossbreeds of homo sapiens and neanderthalensis, or erectus and neanderthalensis (depending on had erectus evolved into sapiens before entering europe). There's several other distinct races homo sapiens (or erectus, depending on at which point the crossbreeding happened) crossbreeded with around the world, can't remember the names out of the top of my head.
(eastern) african humans are closest to pure homo sapiens (sapiens), pretty much everything else is crossbreeds. Obviously in recent times the distinction becomes harder and harder as the subspecies mix more and more

I know this goes offtopic, but homo sapiens sapiens isn't evolution of homo neanderthalensis (sapiens really doesn't belong here). Modern human, so called "homo sapiens sapiens", includes actually several distinctable subspecies.
There's still obviously debates on it, but for example "europeans" are mostly crossbreeds of homo sapiens and neanderthalensis, or erectus and neanderthalensis (depending on had erectus evolved into sapiens before entering europe). There's several other distinct races homo sapiens (or erectus, depending on at which point the crossbreeding happened) crossbreeded with around the world, can't remember the names out of the top of my head.
(eastern) african humans are closest to pure homo sapiens (sapiens), pretty much everything else is crossbreeds. Obviously in recent times the distinction becomes harder and harder as the subspecies mix more and more
Exactly my point. :)

The only difference between our values and those posted at Chiphell are non-reference clock speeds with newer benchmarks. The clocks were bumped by 22 MHz (to 1288 MHz). Jugding from GPU-Z graphs the clocks are quite stable, but it’s temperature that is worrying. It seems that FireStrike has really pushed these cards to their thermal limits, as the primary CrossFire card reaches 87C and the secondary 82C.

AMD-Radeon-RX-480-CrossFire-GPUZ.jpg

http://videocardz.com/61396/new-amd...exclusive-first-look-at-new-overclocking-tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back