AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Hey is this thread about gcn or the quality of amd's drivers? I forget. Can any of you remind me?
As an online discussion involving either AMD or nVidia grows longer, the probability of turning it into a driver discussion approaches 1. :p

PS. Isnt it about time a site "accidentaly" releases their review early? Or are they finishing them till last minute? :D

PS. Isnt it about time a site "accidentaly" releases their review early? Or are they finishing them till last minute? :D

Probably not many review cards to hand out so bigger fish get theirs first, and the smaller fish (who are the usual leakers) have no choice but to wait.

Is that completely AMD's fault or maybe the developer who's still sour for one little Alpha-build leak?

I'm gonna stop you right there and say I think it's damn nearly impossible that id would create so much negative hype about their teased-for-way-too-long game in order to get a pseudo-revenge over something that happened some 9 years ago.
Besides, the criticism hammer fell a lot more on their head than on AMD's.

However, I do think it's downright sad that the game even required a driver update for some 60% of the video cards purchased in the past 2 years (ATI DX11 graphics cards) in order to be playable.
To depend on 3rd parties to have the game playable on some 60% of your audience? The stupidity and lack of responsibility in this shocks me even today.

ID was doing some funky things that apparently required some additional cooperation on the part of the IHVs.

On the GCN front, the more advanced memory subsystem is a much better fit for what Megatexture wants to do, something some of the slides indicated.

ID was doing some funky things that apparently required some additional cooperation on the part of the IHVs.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, as long as you release the game after the required driver is out.

Well then I don't know why AMD lists a fix for these in their release notes :)
Crysis 2 was unplayable with CFX for weeks after its initial release. Basically a 20 Hz strobe light. They eventually fixed it. Anyway, don't argue with me, just tell AMD to stop fixing - and documenting fixes - for problems that never existed :)

Just to point you that not every bug fix listed in release notes is affecting every system out on the planet ;). I had CFX systems as well as current single GPU and played games listed in driver notes as causing issues, but they worked perfectly for me. Of course some of the driver issues are global, like Rage problems, but just looking at list of fixes isn't telling all truth.

Enough off topic!

Back on track!
So if HD7970 launch is in few hours and HD7950 early Jan. will we get few retail HD7970 on shopping shelves in 2011?

I'm quite exited by this launch, not because of game performance alone, but mainly because of GPGPU stuff. One slide was showing some impressive improvements in that department and latest creation from our fellow Dade [Sfera] can benefit from them quite a lot :D
I hope reviewers will include broader spectrum of GPGPU tests in their articles, starting from Basic SiSoft and finishing with proper applications taking advantage of OpenCL and DirectCompute.

Actually are there any hard leaks on hardware availability levels? If the 7970 hits the leaked numbers it's going to be in high demand ($100 over list) for a while...
(side note...I got to experience quite a few CFX issues this last year but my biggest gripe was the texture filtering quality - crawlies - of the 69XX compared to 580...but 79XX seems to have raised the bar on that one).

But will it play Crysis?
(sorry, couldn't resist)

Notice the bias towards 25x16 benches. Showing off that 3GB of GDDR5 RAM.

For what other reason would someone spend 550€ on a graphics card, if not to use multi-display or very high resolutions?

For what other reason would someone spend 550€ on a graphics card, if not to use multi-display or very high resolutions?

My point was to more show that the disparity would grow because it had more VRAM than the 580 it was being compared against, which would shine at those high resolutions.

I can see someone buying a high end card intending to play at 1080p if they keep their card in excess of 2 years and still want to play the latest releases with all effects turned on at the highest resolution. Sure, it's not the most efficient thing for their dollar, but some people have to have the best despite their usage scenario.

Introduction
Tahiti architecture
GNC Compute Unit
level cache Tahiti
Tahiti's ROP, texture units and the memory controller
Tahiti's Tessellator
any general-purpose computing performance improve?
GCN and Partially Resident Textures
Tahiti power control
VCE video coding technology
AMD Steady Video 2.0
Eyefinity 2.0 and DDMA
RADEON HD 7970/7950 and the larger size

PCINLIFE

gcn_cufqa59.png

7970_specsk0x73.png

7950_specsq3y05.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It's apparently an ISV ass-kissing site that ran AMD's slides no questions asked. Shame. Looking forward to some real reviews!

Such angst :LOL:. They are simply re-posting the leaked slides from 2 days ago just like everyone else has done so in order to get a few more page hits.

Back