AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by UniversalTruth, Dec 17, 2010.

1. LordEC911

Regular

Don't listen to bad rumors then. You should have never taken the XDR2 rumor seriously...

Dual cards.

2. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Who is going to shoot themselves in the foot? The gouging etailers? They get some hits and maybe even some pre-sales from those you describe. I doubt they give a crap about your opinion of them.

Ultimately it's going to be priced where its performance puts it (if it's the same performance as a GTX580 they aren't going to sell it for significantly less just because they can). If you're expecting them to sell a higher performance part for a significant discount over currently selling parts, you're going to be disappointed a lot. Limited availability and gouging at launch are normal and expected and websites throwing up ridiculous prices for products they don't have in stock isn't anything new. When the major/respectable e-tailers have stock the price will move to the MSRP.

<Edit> and if you were looking for a 100% improvement over the 6970, you were destined to be disappointed.

3. Ethatron

Regular Subscriber

It helps with auto-mimapped FP16 rendertargets which you access filtered. I only see this use-case becoming more used, not less. We use filtered access for Bokeh, Godrays even AO (single channel FP16 intermediate buffer).

4. denev2004

Newcomer

How come?

5. 3dilettante

Legend

I think if the memory has been designed to a specification that allows for a modest number of traces across long distances, a compliant device can't just sprout hundreds of extra outputs just because an interposer can support much higher pitch density.

6. rpg.314

Veteran

I am assuming that the new mem standard is being worked in the background, to go with this interposer. Intel's going big on interposers with Haswell, so there must be more to it than meets the eye.

Or it might just all be wishful thinking.

7. MfA

MfA
    Legend

IMO if Intel does it it will be all custom and all unavailable to anyone not producing at their fabs.

8. rpg.314

Veteran

Custom RAM, that sounds costly even for intel.

9. UniversalTruth

Veteran

Exactly. :wink:
    HD 6990 can be bought for € 665, all the way down to € 556 incl VAT.
    So, if that card is at € 696, or even € 625, it's logical to assume that it puts the HD 6990 in the dust.
    I can't understand such a ridiculous pricing and who will go for it. Those should be sentenced. :mrgreen: I thought that it was logical to expect the new manufacturing node to bring the same performance to lower market segments.

What happened to the liquid chamber coolers? Are they present or again false rumour? :???:

10. no-X

Veteran

I know it's useful, but typical amount of Int8 filtering is still several times higher.

11. Alexko

Veteran

I hope ZeroCore works even when Eyefinity is enabled. 3W idle power sounds really good, especially in the summer.

12. AnarchX

Veteran

ZeroCore is active when display turns off or on additional CF-cards with no attached displays.
    Probably with Virtu ZeroCore could be also used, if you attach your displays to the IGP.

With multiple displays(@different timing) attached to the card and activated, we probably see up to 100W idle-consumption, especially with 3GiB GDDR5 @ 5,5Gbps and 4 billion transistors.

#1473 AnarchX, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2011
  13. Rangers

Legend

You always pay a premium for single card performance, since you dont have to rely on crossfire profiles and other annoyances of dual GPU cards.

If it's faster than GTX 580 it will cost the same or more than GTX 580. We dont have to like it but that's the way it will be.

14. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

Mind you, no one has 3GiB graphics cards, they're all 3GB (3x 1024MB)

please carry on.

15. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend Alpha

Other way around, GB=1000MB, GiB=1024MiB

16. Entropy

Veteran

Only if they are targeting similar or lower sales volumes as well. Which, depending on production capability/yields, may well be the case.

17. hoho

Veteran

Then again putting it on sale at ludicrous price is a nice way to "fix" the problem of sucky availiablity.

18. Man from Atlantis

Regular