AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Dude, seriously?

I just bought a friggin' GTX570 for the HTPC I'm giving to my gf this christmas (uhm.. yeah..), completely convinced we'd have no GCN cards until February!

Damn you rumours! Damn you to hell!

I'm waving a closed fist above my head, so picture me doing that while yelling the statements above.

Dude, seriously?

I just bought a friggin' GTX570 for the HTPC I'm giving to my gf this christmas (uhm.. yeah..), completely convinced we'd have no GCN cards until February!

Damn you rumours! Damn you to hell!

If you really just bought it, you might be able to return it. That said, I don't remember anyone credible saying there'd be no GCN until February. Where did you get that from?

If you really just bought it, you might be able to return it.

Thanks for the advice, and I actually am able to return it for the moment.

However, since absolutely nothing is officially known so far (precise dates, availability in my country, prices, etc), I think it's better to keep the GTX570 for the moment.

Besides, it was a fairly good deal at 270€, and it seems the GCN cards will be selling way above that price. Then again.. the rumours say..

That said, I don't remember anyone credible saying there'd be no GCN until February. Where did you get that from?
Semiaccurate maybe? Don't remember, sorry...

Thanks for the advice, and I actually am able to return it for the moment.

However, since absolutely nothing is officially known so far (precise dates, availability in my country, prices, etc), I think it's better to keep the GTX570 for the moment.

Besides, it was a fairly good deal at 270€, and it seems the GCN cards will be selling way above that price. Then again.. the rumours say..

Semiaccurate maybe? Don't remember, sorry...

A gtx570 for a htpc? is that a troll atempt?

And then they say theres is economic crysis in europe lol yeah right

A gtx570 for a htpc? is that a troll atempt?

And then they say theres is economic crysis in europe lol yeah right

*Spends 2500€ on a macbook every 2 years:
- OMG you're so cool, let me just touch it! Ooooh it feels so fine! I want one!

*Spends 300€ on a graphics card every 2 years:
- LOL is that a troll attempt? You're european, shouldn't you be saving money for the soup or something?

Will you please let me spend my paycheck the way I f"$#% want to?
Thank you.

BTW yes, a.. *gasp* gaming capable HTPC! I must be crazy, right?

ToTTenTranz, it's not that, but just the fact that GF100/GF110 are behind times with their media features compared to Radeons and GF10x/11x

*Spends 2500€ on a macbook every 2 years:
- OMG you're so cool, let me just touch it! Ooooh it feels so fine! I want one!

*Spends 300€ on a graphics card every 2 years:
- LOL is that a troll attempt? You're european, shouldn't you be saving money for the soup or something?

Will you please let me spend my paycheck the way I f"$#% want to?
Thank you.

BTW yes, a.. *gasp* gaming capable HTPC! I must be crazy, right?

Well not only for the soup, you should also save for the electricity, i heard it´s pretty cheap over there. *sarcasm*

I think you should have said in the first place it was a gaming machine. In my head htpc = llano or something like that

ToTTenTranz, it's not that, but just the fact that GF100/GF110 are behind times with their media features compared to Radeons and GF10x/11x

GF110 doesn't support audio bitstreaming? What else is there?

Well not only for the soup, you should also save for the electricity, i heard it´s pretty cheap over there. *sarcasm*

I think you should have said in the first place it was a gaming machine. In my head htpc = llano or something like that

Aaactually, there is a Llano inside, and Athlon 631 to be precise. There's just no better cpu+board bang-for-the-buck nowadays.
Non-overclockable lower cost i3 sandybridges cost twice as much as the Athlon 631 and 1155 boards with SATA 6 /USB3 also cost twice as much. I figured I'd spend part of the ~150€ I saved in going FM1 for a souped-up GPU.
So I can play Skyrim.

Last edited by a moderator:
GF110 doesn't support audio bitstreaming? What else is there?

The 570 cannot bitstream TRUEHD nor DTS-MA audio. Go get a 460/560 if you want to do that and stay Nvidia (avoid the 448 core 560 too). Even then it will fail if you try to play a 3d blu-ray.

The 570 cannot bitstream TRUEHD nor DTS-MA audio. Go get a 460/560 if you want to do that and stay Nvidia (avoid the 448 core 560 too). Even then it will fail if you try to play a 3d blu-ray.

317749.jpg

Ignorance. That's what you get for sticking too long with one vendor (in my case, ATI/AMD).
I never thought a late-2010 high-end GPU would come without TrueHD or DTS-MA bitstreaming.
Not that 7.1 PCM wouldn't be impossible decoded on the PC, but I'm connecting everything to an AV Receiver that makes sure everything is synchronized, so no way I'm leaving this be.

Plan for tomorrow: return the 570, get a HD6950 2GB for less money.
And shame on you, nVidia.
Shame on you...

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one excited for SI and GCN because of mobile graphics? Hoping to have a big performance jump over 6990m so my P150HM can have some more life if I so choose. /laptopgamer :oops:

… and raw arithmetic and texturing power of GF110 is 2,4× lower. But raw numbers don't mean much, do they? :smile:

… and raw arithmetic and texturing power of GF110 is 2,4× lower. But raw numbers don't mean much, do they? :smile:
GCN tex units may still be 8-bit devices, so FP16 fill-rate will be marginally faster than GF110 in this case. Of course the improved texture caching could have further impact.

I think full-speed FP16 texture filtering isn't really helpful these days - with the exception of 3DMark, of course.

Back