AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

I would wait for a more "official" source before jumping the gun though...Let's see what AMD has to say/show in the coming weeks.

Irrelevant at this point to me since I just built my rig but I do hope they come out with something very competitive. We need major leaps!

Irrelevant at this point to me since I just built my rig but I do hope they come out with something very competitive. We need major leaps!

Obivously and going for the 580 was deffinitely the right choice IMO. I'm currently running a 5870 and feel that's it's good enough for the 6 months to come (only game to make it suffer is the horrible Tesselation implentation in Crysis 2 DX11). Waiting to see both the AMD GCN and NVIDIA Kepler to make my choice.

They say it's due high demand and capacity problems of HD6000 - but HD7000 doesn't eat HD6000's capacity a single bit, since they're on different process.
It also contradicts what AMD said in their last conference call

Wasn't there a conference call or some such just couple weeks ago where they said they're on track?
Pretty much:

“We also passed several critical milestones in the second quarter as we prepare our next-generation 28-nanometer graphics family,” said Seifert.

“We have working silicon in-house and remain on track to deliver the first members of what we expect will be another industry-leading GPU family to market later this year."

Since its recent news, AMD most likely will squeeze in 2011, however questions remains:

1. Can TSMC deliver 28nm in any decent quantity this year? Raising prices for AMD/NV doesnt give a lot of confidence, along with its poor transition track record, and Apple taking huge chunk of 28nm wafers.

2. AMD havent specified what 7000 models will be available this year. They can just launch mid-range pipe-cleaner or even entry-level cards, and still be in the line of what they promised.

3. What graphic cores we'll see? WLIV4, GCN? Most likely both. 1st wave of launches will be with WLIV4 IMO, easy choice.

Harison: According to NordicHardware TSMC will be able to produce only 7-10k wafers this year. And according to DigiTimes GlobalFoundries starts mass production in Q1/2012 just like TSMC: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110914PD220.html

Would it be possible, that first GPUs will be manufactured by GF?
IMHO AMD contracted both sources to make different lines of GPUs, but still its unlikely GF would be first, unless TSMC screws up again. AMD can keep its launch promises with just one pipe-line cleaner, and it doesnt take much wafers to do it.

I think I said on this forum half a year ago we wont see any mass quantities of 28nm GPUs in 2011, especially not high-end, a lot of ppl disagreed... I would have preferred to be wrong though, cant wait to see GCN and Kepler in action.

Could it be possible, since GCN is completely new, that GF is contracted for GCN only, and TSMC brings out all the VLIW4 which are similar to Cayman-design, already being manufactured at TSMC?

This could give them opportunity to bring GCN this year from GF, and some lowend/midrange from TSMC?

They probably have already ported Cayman RTL to GirlFriend's stuff, given Trinity...Would they risk having Graphics Chocolate Next there straight away, instead of working with the known quantity that is TSMC? Hmm...

Obivously and going for the 580 was deffinitely the right choice IMO. I'm currently running a 5870 and feel that's it's good enough for the 6 months to come (only game to make it suffer is the horrible Tesselation implentation in Crysis 2 DX11). Waiting to see both the AMD GCN and NVIDIA Kepler to make my choice.

You can use the Catalyst's tesselation control and set it to 1X, 2X or something, for Crysis 2. It should work much better.

As far as I'm aware, there's still no indication that any HD 7000 chip is VLIW4.

Yeah, what do Wavey and Mike Houston know about these things anyway:p. Absolutely no indication beyond an AFDS presentation and Wavey's posts here indeed!

You can use the Catalyst's tesselation control and set it to 1X, 2X or something, for Crysis 2. It should work much better.

Especially since 1X amplification disables it alltogether, therefore providing the most accurate depiction of the developer's intentions. I swear the vileness of some of the Control Panel overrides that IHVs provide is mind-boggling.

Yeah, what do Wavey and Mike Houston know about these things anyway:p. Absolutely no indication beyond an AFDS presentation and Wavey's posts here indeed!

Uh? I must have missed something, the only post I remember from Dave mentioned that a GCN GPU would be able to function in Crossfire with Trinity just fine.

Of course Trinity itself officially includes a VLIW4 GPU that is classified as "HD 7000", but beyond that and possible renamed 40nm chips?

What did I miss?

Back