AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by UniversalTruth, Dec 17, 2010.

1. UniversalTruth

Veteran

:lol:

There are always many other women as well. Especially if the current one controls you in such a way. :mrgreen:

:lol:

2. caveman-jim

Regular

How do you.. know... this? But then... you state it is... speculations.... which is it?

3. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

We have a good agreement when it comes to spending money. Basicly we try to spend the same amounts and keep it fair. We are saving up for a wedding and a house so we aren't spending as much. This year I'm getting a surface pro and either a video card or a 27inch 1440p monitor. Gotta choose which one.

4. DavidGraham

Veteran

5. lanek

Veteran

6. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

7. Silent_Buddha

Legend

It'll be interesting if any of this ends up giving AMD hardware a slight advantage when games are ported from next gen consoles to PC.

Although I can't help but wonder if the compute "co-processor" could potentially be designed by Nvidia allowing for hardware accelerated PhysX on console. Or if it'll be a more generalized compute co-processor taking advantage of OCL or somesuch.

Regards,
    SB

8. snarfbot

Regular Newcomer

i ended up buying a his iceq 7950 its real quiet and real fast. have not noticed any stuttering in the games i play. i dont play any of the games in the techreport review tho. im playing alan wake now actually, its pretty much awesome.

9. DavidGraham

Veteran

I am just happy they dumped the idea of using something like HD 6670 , or you think it was never their intention from the start ?

10. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

The co-processor is most likely nothing other than the cell cpu to help with ps3 compatibility.

11. lanek

Veteran

hard to know, this was just rumors ( a single APU crossfired with HD6670 ).. I dont think they have change the design in the middle, ( taking in account AMD have been choose by Sony and MS a long time ago for design the hardware of this generation ), you basically choose someone specially for the design it will bring, not just because the name.

12. gkar1

Regular

Saw this over at Anand: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6724/amd-announces-new-winter-video-game-bundle-never-settle-reloaded

AMD Announces New Winter Video Game Bundle: Never Settle Reloaded

13. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Anas platyrhynchos
    Legend Veteran

That six game bundle is SWEET! Getting a crossfire 7950 setup and those six games on top is a great deal.

14. suryad

Veteran

Yeah it is. Dang!

15. jimbo75

Veteran

16. lanek

Veteran

17. Silent_Buddha

Legend

That's how it should be. Mid range systems should never be able to run a graphically demanding game at top settings. Hell, I'm old school enough that I don't think enthusiast level systems should be able to run a game that attempts to push graphics technology at playable framerates in ultra settings.

Give us a peek into what the future will bring. Not something that could have been done 2 years ago (highest settings playable on mid-range system).

Regards,
    SB

18. jimbo75

Veteran

I agree that's how it should be, however the show needs to be obviously superior to justify it.

It feels more like both companies are desperately trying to invent reasons to justify upgrades. Eyefinity was the last great reason imo, we need more of this and less of minute details or tricks that are barely noticeable.

19. DavidGraham

Veteran

Most of these heavy new effects offer nearly nothing of visual upgrade over the old effects .

For example , DOF in Metro2033 ,was overly taxing while offering very little visual enhancements . Also Supersampling in Witcher 2 and Sleeping dogs , completely unnecessary and taxing !

Even Tessellation in some titles is rarely noticed and in many cases excessively used to the point of ridiculousness while offering no gains in graphics quality (ie Crysis 2).

I would rather they focus again on texture resolution , that would make a real palpable visual difference .

20. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Ummm. I'd have to respectfully disagree. Tesselation in Crysis 2 was the most impressive thing I've seen in graphics the past 5 years, IMO. It has single handedly made all other non-tessellated games look rather bland and uninteresting. Now if only they also hadn't overdone the tessellation by tessellating perfectly flat surfaces to ridiculous extremes. I'm quite interested to see how things turn out in Crysis 3. But unfortunately I may never get Crysis 3 as I refuse to install Origin on my system.

And at least for me, the supersampling in The Witcher 2 was quite welcome even if I couldn't run it at my typical gaming resolution (2400x1500).

Texture resolution would be great as well. Hopefully with the next gen consoles having access to a larger pool of memory we'll see some noticeable advancements there, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not sure how willing games companies are to host games in the 40-50 GB or larger range for digital download.

Regards,
    SB