AMD: Sea Islands R1100 (8*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Physics is software. This would be like providing a game engine as part of the DirectX suite I think.

An API is software too. Sure, it would go beyond the normal scope of DirectX, but why not? Besides, if this were compatible with the next Xbox, it could be a very profitable investment for MS.

AMD's own roadmaps show 2013.

Screen%20Shot%202012-02-01%20at%202.14.03%20PM_575px.png

Article with image here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5491/amds-2012-2013-client-cpugpuapu-roadmap-revealed

Because Southern Islands covers most of 2012 while Sea Islands covers most of 2013, but that doesn't mean the latter won't be released in 2012.

AMD's platform roadmaps are always like that, they showed Southern Islands as a 2012 thing when it really launched in late 2011, Northern Islands as a 2011 family when it really launched in late 2010, and so forth. These roadmaps just have very coarse granularity.

So much for AMD's next gen coming Q4 2012, let alone Q1 2013.

An API is software too. Sure, it would go beyond the normal scope of DirectX, but why not? Besides, if this were compatible with the next Xbox, it could be a very profitable investment for MS.

My argument is loose, sure.
What I think is MS's job is to provide an API for efficient generic computation (a new version of DirectCompute) and there should go the physics calculations.

DirectX 12 would foremost bring support for HSA (as in the new Xbox). It could transparently support nvidia Maxwell, which integrates CPUs so should be able to do things Xbox and AMD APU/GPU can do.. But there may be serious political problems and what will happen is unknown.

My argument is loose, sure.
What I think is MS's job is to provide an API for efficient generic computation (a new version of DirectCompute) and there should go the physics calculations.

DirectX 12 would foremost bring support for HSA (as in the new Xbox). It could transparently support nvidia Maxwell, which integrates CPUs so should be able to do things Xbox and AMD APU/GPU can do.. But there may be serious political problems and what will happen is unknown.

How exactly did you plan to make those ARM cores suddenly work like x86 CPUs?

Good call. But same code can be compiled to x64 or ARM 64 (as long as it doesn't do too funny low level things), beforehand or JIT.

But really I have no idea how things will look like one or two years from now.

What I think is MS's job is to provide an API for efficient generic computation (a new version of DirectCompute)

What's wrong with C++ AMP for that? It's probably significantly preferable to "write a shader" shenanigans.

In the context of a game, and with a GPU that can't really multitask (it's for the gen after jaguar/xbox/steamroller/radeon 8000) you would maybe use DirectCompute as a wrapper that calls that C++ AMP code?

It's the other way around. C++AMP atm is built on top of DirectCompute, and hence is a (nice) wrapper around direct compute.

I always wondered....with so much available Tflops and the hype of Direct Compute (lol seems so long)...is it so hard to do those fancy sparks on Tahiti? What happened to AMD graphics physics department?

Was there any tech demo? I don't remember anything since the days of Dawn and Ruby.
It used to be you would download awesome videos of what unforeseen stuff a new hardware gen can do.
Lately, I only remember nvidia Kepler demos where they pour water in a glass tank, shatter three cylinder things and collide two galaxies.

Maybe you really have to pay attention nowadays, or a good demo for something as powerful as current cards would cost over a million because of the arts assets..

Was there any tech demo? I don't remember anything since the days of Dawn and Ruby.
It used to be you would download awesome videos of what unforeseen stuff a new hardware gen can do.
Lately, I only remember nvidia Kepler demos where they pour water in a glass tank, shatter three cylinder things and collide two galaxies.

Maybe you really have to pay attention nowadays, or a good demo for something as powerful as current cards would cost over a million because of the arts assets..
GCN's tech demo was Leo, which was used to show off AMD's MSAA-compatible DirectCompute based lighting system.

In the context of a game, and with a GPU that can't really multitask (it's for the gen after jaguar/xbox/steamroller/radeon 8000) you would maybe use DirectCompute as a wrapper that calls that C++ AMP code?
Can't multitask? AMD's HD7xxx GPUs already support asynchronous compute and graphics in OpenCL. That means you can run heavy compute apps and, generally, your desktop will still remain responsive. This also means that if you have an OpenCL renderer plug-in for, say, 3DSMax, you can still interact with the GUI while the rendering is being done. It's not foolproof, as there is no context switching, but it's a huge step forward.

I know nothing, really.

Alright, the knight and damsel one. It's beautiful, though short.

I think you was speaking mostly about Physic demo, but well..

- 5000 series: 2 videos : Lady Bug and the mecha
- 6900 series: a bad mecha video ( to forget )
- and effectively 7970: Leo demo

Back