AMD: Sea Islands R1100 (8*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Why i have the feeling to see a texas Hold em poker party, and dont have any idea of the cards they have in hand ?

I agree that awareness and better drivers are all AMD really need right now. If the new GCN memory management driver delivers, I still think it would have a much better impact coupled with new products. A respin of silicon for better power use and slightly higher clocks/more aggressive turbo would do the trick. This way, people who don't follow AMD's existing products because they've made their mind up on them a long time ago, will be forced to re-evaluate with a series of +10 parts (7980, 7960, 7880 etc).

These parts while only minor ~2-5% improvements over the old models in hardware alone, will couple with the new drivers performance improvements to substantially reset the image amongst enthusiasts. Resetting the ingrained image of existing products with a driver alone is a tough battle to fight.

It appears that AMD will be moving to larger die sizes and two year update/replacement cyles for their future generation high end GPU's...

AMD has been pretty open about their roadmap, disclosing sea islands etc. I don't know why they do this, but if that's the policy, then fine.

Now they're clearly back pedaling on that earlier roadmap. I don't get why they're trying so disingenuous about it: nobody of the intended audience is gullible enough to believe it and the rest couldn't care less.

Why not simply say 'we made changes to our roadmap' because we believe our existing line-up is competitive and be done with it? It's refreshingly honest and you don't insult the intelligence of those who care.

Too bad about the next architectural step being further in the future.
There were a number of reserved/undefined bits in the Southern Islands ISA I was curious about, and whether the scalar unit and its read-only cache would be evolving further.

Yup. Even so, AMD representatives appeared to give intentionally vague answers in response to questions about future products. Saying that "7900 series will be a focus for the rest of 2013" could mean anything, including higher performance single die GPU variants such as 7980, 7960, etc. And it appears that AMD wants to announce something after Geforce Titan is out, since Roy Taylor says "Why don't we have another one of these calls in a couple of weeks and we can tell you some more". What's the point of having a conference call now if AMD wants to tell more in two weeks? I believe that AMD does plan to release some new and improved 79xx GPU's within the next 3-6 months, but they don't want to lose sales momentum for 79xx GPU's that exist in the pipeline today, so they are trying to downplay any rumors about new and improved 79xx products by saying that their GPU lineup will be stable throughout most of 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it has anything to do with the big kepler launch. It has more to do with the Playstation 4 reveal on the 20th and there might be tech in it that is destined for consumer GPUs that they can't yet talk about.

I'm sure this additional information in "a couple of weeks" won't be directly related to Geforce Titan, but do note that AMD appears to be very fixated with NVIDIA lately.

Well colour me confused :oops:

I got out of that they are suggesting maybe a faster clocked respin that will still be badged 79xx.
Or maybe a slightly less fast but considerably cheaper & quieter/lower power version?

At the same time AMD also made clear that Sea Islands is based on the same architecture as Southern Islands – the first generation of Graphics Core Next (GCN1)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6751/amd-reiterates-2013-gpu-plans-sea-islands-beyond

In February 2012:
Sea Islands: New GPU Architecture and HSA Features

Something smells pretty bad.
I understand they want to confuse and mislead us in order not to know what happens next and to have stable 7000 series sales.

It's either that the things which will be launched as part of GCN won't be called Sea Islands, or if they are indeed, then by the end of the year we should have new cards with new architecture and new codename... Pirate Islands... I don't remember what exactly was next. :LOL:

BTW: There is a chance that Sea Islands is not 8000 series but the common name of NI, SI, etc. So, whatever comes next, it will be part of Sea Islands, but can be also just improved Southern Islands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could the 8000 series differentiate itself from the OEM 8000 series with something like moving on to a UHD prefix? Perhaps UHD devices will start to hit the desktop market late this year. This way the OEM and Mobile segment won't look so outdated, although, the impact of that really depend on exactly how late in the year the proper next-gen launch is.

Could the 8000 series differentiate itself from the OEM 8000 series with something like moving on to a UHD prefix? Perhaps UHD devices will start to hit the desktop market late this year. This way the OEM and Mobile segment won't look so outdated, although, the impact of that really depend on exactly how late in the year the proper next-gen launch is.

4K seems to be the most popular buzzword at the moment. Radeon 4K XXXX anyone? ;)

Then again, the current HD 7000 series already has support for multiple 4K monitors, so that wouldn't make much sense. In fact, even the 6800 series and up can handle an aggregate definition of 16384×16384 (268 megapixels).

Well next comes RIAA, MPAA or DCMA Islands of course :p

How about Pompey Magnus?

Read:

AMD Next Generation Codenames Revealed: 2013, 2014, 2015 GPUs Get Names

AMD’s GPU code names finally leak

If you recall, we got the Sea Islands code name really wrong, but the internal initials are actually CI, not SI2 or SI.

The CI, VI, and PI code names have been known to SemiAccurate for 18+ months, just ask Eric Demers when we told him…….S|A

There is something fishy. You see on the roadmap here that Richland is missing, perhaps there is something different, not Sea Islands, using the same logic of course.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5491/amds-2012-2013-client-cpugpuapu-roadmap-revealed

4K seems to be the most popular buzzword at the moment. Radeon 4K XXXX anyone?

No, to me 4K sounds and looks extremely dull. I wouldn't go for 4K but as the other colleague suggests- UHD or something more fancy.

UHD builds on what they already had - although maybe a little too subtle of a change. Also, they won't let older hardware already supporting UHD resolutions stand in the way of a new buzzword! The original Radeon 7000 from 2000 supported 1080p yet somehow adding a HD suffix was valid for the 2000 series from 2007. I think adding a UHD suffix makes even more sense this time around.

No, I think many know what it means/ or will know when its time comes. It should designate in a user-friendly manner something superior than HD. Obviously, the relation between 4K and HD is quite unclear unless you read somewhere about it.

The thing is that I am sure that 99% of people don't give a damn about the "HD" thing in Radeon naming scheme.

Back