AMD: Sea Islands R1100 (8*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

fps isn't everything. This stutter wouldn't necessarily influence average fps much (if at all), but it can make or brake a gaming experience.

AMD press release from today (January 7, 2013): "AMD Delivers Enhanced Gaming and Improved Application Performance with Latest Mobile and Desktop Graphics Technology." This press release links to an overview and specs of the 8000 series mobile GPUs and 8000 series OEM desktop GPUs, the mobile ones we already know about, but the desktop ones are new.

Many of the desktop GPUs appear to have the same specs as those of existing 7000 series desktop GPUs (there are some minor TDP changes).
  • HD 8970 = HD 7970 GHz Edition
  • HD 8950 = HD 7950 with Boost
  • HD 8870 = HD 7870 GHz Edition
  • HD 8760 = HD 7770 GHz Edition
  • HD 8740 = HD 7750 (rev 2, 900 MHz)
I'm seriously hoping I'm misreading this, it's a series of typos, or it's some sort of joke. :rolleyes:

And the other GPUs:
  • HD 8670 and HD 8570 appear to be Oland based, with 384 SPs
  • HD 8400 appears to be a Caicos
  • HD 8350 appears to be a Cedar

Doesn't appear to be a misreading or a joke. What happen to the 75% increase on only 25% more silicon? Too good to be true?

So they finally have some mobile GCN to release so in order to distinguish them, they then have to make it a whole new series including discrete desktop. But since it's to OEM only it doesn't matter since it won't affect enthusiast.

It's quite sad.

if true then that is really sad. A full line up rename ?
It seems so, but it might not end up that way if they later use some other possible numbers (8960, 8980, etc.) for future Sea Islands parts. AMD has kinda done this before with the RV790 (4860, 4890), and don't forget NVIDIA's initial 600M lineup was entirely Fermi with some model numbers (670M, 675M) quite close together, but they dug their way out of that hole with Keplers like the 670MX (although it probably helped that their entire ≥ 680 number range was initially empty).

Anyway, looking closer at the model numbers, there is a strange gap between the 8760 and 8870, especially given that the 8740 and 8760 have unusual 3rd digits. So maybe that'll be where the Sea Islands mainstream chip (Bonaire) (assuming its performance is > Cape Verde's) comes in some time from now. The Sea Islands performance (Hainan) and high-end (Curacao) chips might be squeezed in or interlaced with the existing 8000 lineup. If the rumors of 2560 SPs and 384-bit bus for Curacao (at least back when "Venus" was thought to be its codename) are true, and if memory speeds won't go significantly above 6 Gbps, then a 2304 SP Curacao might end up having FLOPS and bandwidth similar to those of the HD 7970 GHz Edition, so it could be given a number among 8960, 8970 (retail), or 8980. If AMD plans to skip a stock dual-chip GPU this time around too, then the 8990 name could be freed up for a higher-performing-than-7970 GHz Edition single-GPU part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously I meant the desktop HD8000 GPUs. The presented HD8000M GPUs are related to HD7000 technology, so where is your point?

You just made my point! ;)

:D

So, are you saying Sea Islands was always meant to be a 7000 series rebrand, with the only new chip being the low end mobile (forgot the name)?

This is pretty horrible if true... I didn't expect much from SI personally and yeah, the handling of the 7970GE and 7950 boost releases were bad, but it's too late for a move like this and rebranding to 8000 series is too much of an ask regardless.

If this is OEM only, then are the 9000 series coming out in ~6 months?

It seems so, but it might not end up that way if they later use some other possible numbers (8960, 8980, etc.) for future Sea Islands parts. AMD has kinda done this before with the RV790 (4860, 4890), and don't forget NVIDIA's initial 600M lineup was entirely Fermi with some model numbers (670M, 675M) quite close together, but they dug their way out of that hole with Keplers like the 670MX (although it probably helped that their entire ≥ 680 number range was initially empty).

It spoils the whole series though. Just like 7970 GE wasn't enough of a shift away from the 7970 which had already recieved a 'bad' name compared to the GTX 680 for whatever reasons. Same deal with the 7950 boost. They should have gone with 7980 and 7960. This would be even worse, they're diluting the next gen series with a whole range of last gen products. If they add actual next gen parts as +10 to the name it won't be enough to distinguish them especially with the potential of the whole 8000 series getting a 'bad' name due to being made up of far too many 7000 series parts.

They could do a Nvidia with the 100 and 300 skipping where only a few rebranded parts made up those series. Moving to 9000 series with the actual next gen parts at least wont have them launching on a diluted namesake, but it still seems like a strange move!

So, are you saying Sea Islands was always meant to be a 7000 series rebrand, with the only new chip being the low end mobile (forgot the name)?

This is pretty horrible if true... I didn't expect much from SI personally and yeah, the handling of the 7970GE and 7950 boost releases were bad, but it's too late for a move like this and rebranding to 8000 series is too much of an ask regardless.

If this is OEM only, then are the 9000 series coming out in ~6 months?

If they rename the HD7970 and other stuff, they are just dead... ( I dont think they could do this error ) . many infos i got for mobile are allready speaking about GCN2.0 for this HD8000 series...

So instead i got other infos about it, i will not believe they will rename GCN1 architecture for desktop cards. ( or i dont see the point about it )..

Or like you said, OEM on a side, and they have advance the 9000 series.

I don't think the mobile chips released under the 8000m series moniker are GCN2 in the way everyone is thinking. Slides just say '2nd Generation of GCN-based notebook graphics products' under the title of 'GCN goes mainstream':
AMD-009.jpg

That doesn't imply than this is any sort of revised GCN, just that they are the second generation of GCN based mobile processors.

Although, the last point states they are "raising the bar in every segment vs previous generation", as seen more clearly here:
http://www.slideshare.net/AMD/amd-ces-2013-press-conference

But 'the bar' may not have to refer to performance per se.

The 7000 got rebranded and tweaked into 8000 OEM series, there will be a new line of desktop cards for consumers (this strategy is a head scratcher), looks like Cape Verde got a new binning, 384 cores and boost enabled; or it's a new chip. 8000m is released at the same time, derivatives of Cape Verde or the new chip that's in the OEM lineup.

5450 lives on still... for use with teeny tiny APU's? Core i-somethings can match and best it now.

More 8000M cards coming later, maybe they'll tie in with the new Sea Islands revised GCN etc.

5450 lives on still... for use with teeny tiny APU's? Core i-somethings can match and best it now.

HD 3000 from Q1 2011 could already compete decently with the 5450...

I guess it only makes sense when paired with a Celeron/Pentium Sandy Bridge (with the HD 2000 based IGP)

but still 5450>6350>7350>8350 exactly the same card sounds bad....

also the slowest "A" APU is already much faster (A4 llano had 160sps), the only thing close to the 5450 is the their E/C(also Z?) series Bobcat based APUs.

The 7000 got rebranded and tweaked into 8000 OEM series, there will be a new line of desktop cards for consumers (this strategy is a head scratcher), looks like Cape Verde got a new binning, 384 cores and boost enabled; or it's a new chip. 8000m is released at the same time, derivatives of Cape Verde or the new chip that's in the OEM lineup.

More 8000M cards coming later, maybe they'll tie in with the new Sea Islands revised GCN etc.

I dont understand too this strategy.. i mean they take an high risk on marketing and they better have something solid then for back up this. Something who could suprises anyone, otherwise they will lost a lot of credibility .

I was invited to the "side conference " of AMD in CES, and i have not been able to be there this monday, but now i regret it because after seeing this i will have thousands of question for them.

Back