AMD: Sea Islands R1100 (8*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

From 3DCenter: "New codename for AMD's Sea-Islands-generation appeared" (original).

New Sea Islands chip codenames shown by HWiNFO:
  • Aruba (dual chip), Curacao (high-end), Hainan (performance), Bonaire (mainstream), Oland (low-end)
and their mobile versions, Solar System:
  • Venus (performance, based on Hainan), Neptune (mainstream, based on Bonaire), Sun (mainstream, based on Bonaire), Mars (low-end, based on Oland).

They appear to be making some sort of guess on their positioning.

All chips are GCN2 except for Oland/Mars, which is GCN1.

Anyone that thinks Keplar has better power consumption then AMD need to look at the power consumption scaling when you start over volting the cards...... it's atrocious!

Nvidia claim they disabled voltage control to ensure the cards last longer? More like to keep the power consumption in check.

I thought that chip is another Southern Islands part?

It is. Nothing to do with Sea Islands except the name.

My bad. I should have said Solar Systems.

I don't see how they can be Southern Islands, by the same token - the Whistler/Wimbledon/Heathrow chips were replaced, not Tahiti/Cape Verde/Pitcairn.

I wonder if the Solar GPU's have VCE but disabled or if they are designed without VCE? And if they are more efficient and better for compute, how are they considered SI?

Maybe they are GCN+ and GCN v2 is the desktop line and upcoming mobile line that was hinted at but not detailed.

Anyone that thinks Keplar has better power consumption then AMD need to look at the power consumption scaling when you start over volting the cards...... it's atrocious!

Nvidia claim they disabled voltage control to ensure the cards last longer? More like to keep the power consumption in check.

What does out of specification performance have to do with perf/w and outright power draw?

What does out of specification performance have to do with perf/w and outright power draw?

Because you have to question why the specification is locked out to begin with, Nvidia have gone out of there way to make sure no one can up the voltage on the cards. Could it be they've capped it at a point where the clock speed to power consumption ratio don't spiral out of control? The EVGA GTX 680 Classified with a small voltage bump and a 175Mhz clock increase consumes 100w then a voltage locked GTX 680.... 100w is a lot of power for such a small bump in voltage and clock speed.

We have all heard the rumors that the GTX 670/680 were supposed to be mid-range parts but Nvidia released them as high-end because they could compete with AMD's offerings.

Well if that is true and these were supposed to be mid-range parts then there power consumption is some what atrocious compared to AMD's mid-range parts.

Could it be they've capped it at a point where the clock speed to power consumption ratio don't spiral out of control?
Could it be that not doing so would be an intensely stupid thing to do? Why leave high-end performance on the table? (Cough 7970 vs 7970GE cough) Just look at all the reviews on the web and check out the ratio of the total numbers of performance results pages vs the number of overclocking results pages. (I personally often skip the overclocking results.)

I assume that selecting the operating point is a function of cooling cost/power supply cost/maximum yield/other factors.

Unlike clock speed, voltage makes power to up quadratically. It also impacts long term reliability more than anything else. so it makes sense to limit messing around with it. I've always wondered why GPU chip vendors have given the freedom to mess around with voltage. It's dangerous to put this kind of weapon into the hands of the general public.

Well if that is true and these were supposed to be mid-range parts then there power consumption is some what atrocious compared to AMD's mid-range parts.
Just compare a mid range GTX660Ti to your AMD mid range card of choice. Is the power consumption atrocious there? According to the TechReport review, their 3 660Ti cards are all significantly better than 7870/7950. Nobody cares about what intentions are, results are what count, right?

Maybe they volt it lower, or they use a different bin: 28nm has a lot of variation in terms of lower.

Lenovo has announced a new gaming desktop at CES, the Erazer X700. What's notable for this thread is one of the graphics card options (emphasis added), at least if it's not a typo.

Kristy Fair (blog.lenovo.com) said:
Video Graphics: Dual graphics support – NVIDIA® SLI; up to dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX660 1.5GB or ATI CrossFireX™; up to dual AMD Radeon™ HD 8950 3GB graphics
According to other sources, this desktop will actually be released in June.

We're probably going to see less of a jump than 6970 was over 5870. That at least doubled the VRAM, but of course, there really is next to no need for that this time around. Hopefully with the 9xxx series we will see a doubling of VRAM across the entire range since it will probably be needed due to the new consoles.

The 6950 was pretty much on par with the 5870 and often helped ahead by the extra VRAM at higher settings, this time I just can't see a 8950 besting a 7970 let alone a 7970GE. Maybe if the architectural improvements are bigger than I expect and the boost clocks are quite aggressive and get used most of the time ala GK104.

We're probably going to see less of a jump than 6970 was over 5870. That at least doubled the VRAM, but of course, there really is next to no need for that this time around. Hopefully with the 9xxx series we will see a doubling of VRAM across the entire range since it will probably be needed due to the new consoles.

The 6950 was pretty much on par with the 5870 and often helped ahead by the extra VRAM at higher settings, this time I just can't see a 8950 besting a 7970 let alone a 7970GE. Maybe if the architectural improvements are bigger than I expect and the boost clocks are quite aggressive and get used most of the time ala GK104.

I wonder if HD 9000 will be coinciding with the debut of GDDR6? And does anybody see 48 ROPs coming with HD 89xx? I sure don't. Why would AMD put all that work into the crossbar only for them to get rid of it a generation later?

I wonder if HD 9000 will be coinciding with the debut of GDDR6? And does anybody see 48 ROPs coming with HD 89xx? I sure don't. Why would AMD put all that work into the crossbar only for them to get rid of it a generation later?
I don't see who one excludes the other? You can have the crossbar and still have 48 ROPs.

If AMD is going to do a 8970 or 8950 I expect it to be significantly faster than a 7970. Tahiti is only 360 mm2. Plenty of headroom to grow on a mature process. It doesn't have to be 550mm2. Something mid 400 would be fine.

I will tell you the truth. You never know. So, don't claim it with such high degree of certainty. You see where Nokia is for example today- in the middle of nowhere, and just few years ago no one would have predicted it...

Of course, there are multiple reasons and they are pretty well explained in the articles.
It's sad but as much as MS want to do it, they will never be able to force people to use and like their stupid changes.

:oops: Oh, it's very easy to blame someone else.

When I say they aren't going anywhere I'm talking about the next decade or so . Nokia was in a much more vunerable postion and their base was eroding for over half a decade . Ms has multiple places to go and are in many more markets than nokia .

And yes it is easy to blame others when its actually their fault. Oct / Nov / December was lacking windows 8 hardware. I was looking for tablets or laptops with touch screens and there was a complete lack of it. Its hard to buy what doesn't exist .

Just look at this title , In the past you would get new hardware with new windows hardware. But where is it ? The new amd gpu's are no where to be seen and it seems they wont appear till June .

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_6950_1_GB/22.html the extra VRAM makes next to no difference in case of HD6950

Back