AMD RyZen CPU Architecture for 2017

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by fellix, Oct 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Sure, like the speed of computing milions of PI's decimals is the very definition of user experience.

Benchmarks provide scenarios which may or may not replicate plausible uses of a system. It's up to them.

Your overall point might be that it's very hard, if not impossible to devise a useful interpretation of the benchmark result in this particular case (3d games, HPET on).
    But stick to that please, don't try to generalize the findings here to the very concept of benchmarking. Not like this.

I can't fathom what you are implying. I am saying that it would be more accure to use HPET just above, yes. I definetly didn't say the oposite when Ryzen 1000 launched. Nor do I've heard of anyone proposing to use HPET for benchmarking now, with its just discovered ill-effects
    So what do you find so interesting?

yep

2. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Yeah, when I first started reading about HPET here in this thread I did some basic googling, and almost all discussions I found, guides, advice, benchmarks and so on were seriously outdated, like from half a decade ago OR MORE. :(

There should be some investigations made here and now in this new post-Meltdown/Win10 era that goes through this subject more thoroughly and which includes advice like checking if HPET is active, how to de/activate, and some advice on if or when you'd want to do it. That would be real useful methinks. :)

BRiT, DavidGraham and entity279 like this.
  3. entity279

Well AT said HPET is forced in the Window's BCD . I don't know if that's a single file or not, but there are BCD editors out there . Tried https://www.boyans.net/DownloadVisualBCD.html but for me it crashes, sadly..

4. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

And by default HPET is not on, it needs to be enabled but that is a lot of faith without being able to check for sure.

To enable/disable the commands seem to be (work for me anyway).
    to disable bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
    to enable bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

Edit:
    Doing a search seems some motherboard BIOS settings also support enabling/disabling HPET even up to X299/X370/etc.
    Usually under the more advanced options it seems, MSI is one for sure that supports it on certain motherboards.

#2904 CSI PC, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  5. entity279

From AT article, comments section :
    bcdedit /enum (from admin cmd)
    if there is a line like "use platformclock on" , then it is forced on

6. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

Just a headsup useplatformclock is one word.

digitalwanderer likes this.
  7. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

digitalwanderer and Lightman like this.
  8. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

Seems to be pretty stable with the setup of PE3 + XFR2 - 0.1vcore offset:

[​IMG]

41.24 at 1.22 vcore is the minimum at 100% load with AVX instructions, temperature maxed out at 60C. Runs anywhere between 41.25 and 4.35 GHz during gameplay. The 2700X is a solid improvement over my 1700, although I don't think such a jump is worth it, I just did it because I like hardware :)

Edit: Euler3D benchmark at the same settings:
    [​IMG]

And Corona
    [​IMG]

#2908 Clukos, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  9. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

So mine is not as good, 1.2V for 4GHz stability. Still, boosts to 4.35GHz quite often and I need to find if I can get it to 4.3GHz all core at all.

10. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

Some already probably follow Stilt's advice for overclocking/voltage regarding Ryzen but worth putting in here:
    I emphasised by bolding important aspect on monitoring voltage and actual effective in context of his values.
    Full quote and context here (relevant aspect is where he quotes himself from a few days ago): http://www.overclock.net/forum/27240681-post220.html

#2910 CSI PC, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Lightman likes this.
  11. itsmydamnation

Veteran Regular

Anyone going to try bclock OC? 103mhz will get you about 4.5ghz on XFR2.

Lightman likes this.
  12. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

My board lacks bclock, but if this works as expected, I will finally have a reason to upgrade my X370 to a better X470 board with BCLK adjustments.

BTW, I've tried 4.3GHz all cores, but it would not finish CB15 test even with 1.425V (CPU LLC overvolts to 1.45V). I will not try to go higher as there is no 24/7 stability to be had at that clock. Thankfully 4.25GHz is fully stable at 1.425V and 4.2GHz at 1.35V. Not the best sample, but it still is about 250MHz better at Fmax than my 1700 and a lot more efficient at anything below 4.1GHz.
    Now waiting for a tool to adjust individual boost levels and increase XFR2 frequency to 4.4 on the best cores (my CPU have 2 really good ones).

#2912 Lightman, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  13. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

14. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Raven Ridge without graphics should still be different than a Zeppelin with half the cores enabled, since the second has a lot more L3 cache. Raven Ridge Ryzen 5 2400G has 4MB L3, while the Ryzen 5 1400 has 8MB and the 1500/1500X has a whopping 16MB.
    I guess we'll know for sure if they're using Raven Ridge or Zeppelin (or Zeppelin+ ?) cores when they say how much L3 there is.

There's another Raven Ridge coming which is the 2800U. My guess is it's a high-binned 15W Raven Ridge with the full Vega 11 and somewhat higher clocks than the 2700U.

15. Kyyla

Veteran

PE3 + XFR2 - 0.1vcore offset seems to be a sweet spot here as well. Thanks for the tip Cluckos.

16. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Would that be a cut-down quadcore with graphics disabled, or a cut-down octacore with a CPU quad disabled...?

I'm assuming it's not a unique die of its own, seeing as AMD probably don't want to spend the resources validating a ton of different die designs...

17. no-X

Veteran

I think the R3 2100 and R3 2000U are dual-cores.

18. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

I'm a little bit surprised, I thought, RR desktop APUs will replace quadcores.

PS:

#2918 Arnold Beckenbauer, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  19. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

Apparently, Raven Ridge actually has a bigger die than Pinnacle Ridge (about 210mm² vs. 192mm²). So it makes some sense to use Pinnacle Ridge dies for low-end machines if they do not require integrated graphics: you save a couple of bucks and get more cache.

20. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Could you please put spoiler tags around that, because it makes the board wonk out when the inline reddit quote loads (page jumps around annoyingly.)