AMD RyZen CPU Architecture for 2017

Actually, it should be coming with a Ryzen APU (if it ever releases, that is).
From the August update:

The Merlin Falcon APU they had in the original prototype is now 2 years old, based on Carrizo. AMD hasn't updated their R-Series embedded APUs ever since (no Bristol Ridge update), meaning the next update in their embedded series will be using Raven Ridge solutions.

Also it looks like one of the private updates they had back in July mentioned they were changing the solution to "a new SoC based on Ryzen and Vega" (basically Raven Ridge), after a falling out with the maker of the original motherboard:

What's really strange is how they keep promising a modular solution without Rhomb.io's (former ClickARM) technology. And for 2018..
After this video I don't think it will come
:(

--------------
Real or fake? 3D Mark 2011 results,
my A10-9600P results http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12098775

Last edited:
After this video I don't think it will come :(

To be honest, the whole video seems pretty ignorant about what happened between ClickArm/Rhomb and Smach Z, or how prototype development works in general for smaller companies.
Rhomb was both an initial investor and hardware maker for Smach. Rhomb got into disagreements with Smach so they left the development for the production model of Smach Z. Rhomb did make Smach Z's early prototype / proof of concept, built around some chinese PCB with an Atom SoC that Linx happens to use in their tablets too. It would be stupid for a company like Rhomb to use a custom PCB for an early prototype to show investors, it's too much of a risk.

And if I had to guess about the problems between Smach and Rhomb, it's definitely related to timing. That Merlin Falcon board is coming too late for a gaming device, as 2017's newest 10nm SoCs from apple, qualcomm and samsung would probably surpass 28nm Carrizo's performance. Probably even the Switch could be seen as a better gaming device. Merlin Falcon Smach Z had to release early this year or late last year.
If they in fact got an OEM on board that brings Raven Ridge during H1 2018, then it's a whole other story.

And if AMD themselves are working with them on this (after not winning Nintendo, this could be spectacular for marketing!), their chances would be even better.

However I simply don't know how they're going to fit two SO-DIMMs, a M.2 SSD expansion and a Raven Ridge motherboard in here:

FMyR8pr.png

What's the fastest memory speed Ryzen can be tweaked to work with today? 3466-3600?

Does it make sense to buy 4000+ kits expecting they will be supported in the future with future Zen models?

I have managed to be stable in everything except fallout 4 at 3600, get some really strange stuttering after about 5 minutes, runs fine at 3466 CAS 14.
Its like fallout is the perfect memory torture , memory is rated for 3600 CAS 15.

GLOBALFOUNDRIES Introduces New 12nm FinFET Technology for High-Performance Applications
“We are pleased to extend our longstanding relationship with GLOBALFOUNDRIES as a lead customer for their new 12LP technology,” said Mark Papermaster, CTO and senior vice president of technology and engineering, AMD. “Our deep collaboration with GF has helped AMD bring a set of leadership high-performance products to market in 2017 using 14nm FinFET technology. We plan to introduce new client and graphics products based on GF’s 12nm process technology in 2018 as a part of our focus on accelerating our product and technology momentum.”

Zen+ in 12LP?

Slightly off topic, but GF also said they're working with Tesla using AMD IP. That could influence a push to a smaller node and Raven APUs would surely benefit from less power along with cars. Assuming AMD has to transition the IP to a smaller node at the very least.

10% increase in performance is pretty good. If the average Ryzen CPU hits 4.2 GHz across all cores instead of 3.8 that'd be a nice boost. They really need to fix the issues with the memory though, you can't expect everyone to just buy Samsung B-die, especially right now with the crazy ram prices.

They really need to fix the issues with the memory though, you can't expect everyone to just buy Samsung B-die, especially right now with the crazy ram prices.

The need to clock the on-die infinity fabric independetly from the DRAM. That concept is just broken.

Ie. have it run at up to 2GHz (and lower when CPU cores go below 2GHz). That would correspond to DDR4 4000.

Cheers

I think the 12LP is just the 14LLP modify to high performance instead of low tdp for mobile devices. and this allow AMD to refine both architectures and stays competitive in the CPU side and less "less-competitive" in the GPU side.

Would be interesting to see how many improvements AMD made to this zen+ CPU since they already said that all zen CPUs will be Tocks and not Ticks but we can agreed that improve the memory sub system and IF and a Clocks boost to 4.3 turbo would be enough to justify. And for Vega we will see if the VEGa HW was broken or not depends of how faster this Vega+ turns out.

Back