AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

Has anyone here been able to get a card at MSRP from AMD.com?
Did you use stockdrops' discord or something similar?

They're supposed to release some stock around this time on Thursdays, right?

Has anyone here been able to get a card at MSRP from AMD.com?
Did you use stockdrops' discord or something similar?

They're supposed to release some stock around this time on Thursdays, right?

I don't know here, but on Hwupgrade.com forum there were many users able to get a card in last weeks. Today it seems it was disappointing (cards dropped at 16.00) because none was able to get one. But it's a tough battle, people has to use bots (to get an alert about the drop) and scripts (to be faster than everyone else) to get a card. Normally there are a few hundred cards dropped per week.

I don't know here, but on Hwupgrade.com forum there were many users able to get a card in last weeks. Today it seems it was disappointing (cards dropped at 16.00) because none was able to get one. But it's a tough battle, people has to use bots (to get an alert about the drop) and scripts (to be faster than everyone else) to get a card. Normally there are a few hundred cards dropped per week.
Yeah.. I did all that (discord bot warning) but without the script.
Followed the link less than 2 seconds after I got the popup from the bot. Opened the page and neither 6800XT was in stock on the general product page. Tried the 6900 XT for the lulz, and it got me on a neverending loop where I'd fill in a CAPTCHA (a.k.a. providing the free service to AMD partner to train some AI on how to identify hills, bycicles, traffic lights, etc.) and then it wouldn't add the GPU to my cart or claimed I needed to finish the bot check while showing a green checkmark for it. After some 20 min of me training AMD's pattern recognition AI for free, I finally figured out that while the general sales page claimed there was stock for the GPU, the GPU's actual page already said that stock was gone.
I don't even know for how long I was kept filling out captchas like a moron with the stock long gone.

The whole thing is a travesty.
I think I'm through with this crap. I'm just going to sell my Vega 64 because I might still get 400-500€ out of it, and then I'm done with PC gaming.

Yeah the GPU supply issues seem to be at the beginning of the end now. It may still be a few months before things are fully back to normal but I wouldn't consider it as a reason to abandon the format.

Personally I'm hoping to pick up a cheap ex mining 3060ti or 3070 just to tide me over for a year or so until the next big architecture. Ordinary I'd just wait but I'm really feeling I'm missing out on a lot with my 1070 right now. Not that it hasn't served me very well for the last 5(!) years. Actually can't believe just how well its lasted when I think of it that way.

I also did not have any luck picking up an 6800 from the AMD store for about half a year now. Neither could I get an RTX 3070 from Nvidias store at MSRP in a roughly equal timeframe. From what I hear, supply on PS5 and XSX is not much better.

Your choice obviously is yours alone, but I don't think it's a good time to give up on PC gaming just yet.

If you don't run 1440p or 4K PC gaming does not even need the latest hardware to run well. I'm forced by space constraints in using a laptop, and even if it's fairly recent it has not the latest tech (Zen2+2070). But at Full HD it runs everything, at max settings CP2077 included, even with no DLSS applied. So it's more a matter of perspective. Of course, in the next years a more powerful GPU (and maybe CPU) will be mandatory, and I will face the problem when it will arise.

If you don't run 1440p or 4K PC gaming does not even need the latest hardware to run well. I'm forced by space constraints in using a laptop, and even if it's fairly recent it has not the latest tech (Zen2+2070). But at Full HD it runs everything, at max settings CP2077 included, even with no DLSS applied. So it's more a matter of perspective. Of course, in the next years a more powerful GPU (and maybe CPU) will be mandatory, and I will face the problem when it will arise.

Errrmmmhhh?
5.png

Max setting at 1080p on CP2077 with NO DLSS at maximum settings (these numbers are Ultra, not Psycho WITH DLSS)...I call not true...
Cyberpunk 2077 DLSS + Ray Tracing Benchmark | TechSpot

Please provide data to back up you claim.

I bought my first 1440p Monitor 14 years ago.... it would be nice if dGPU caught up.

Errrmmmhhh?
5.png

Max setting at 1080p on CP2077 with NO DLSS at maximum settings (these numbers are Ultra, not Psycho WITH DLSS)...I call not true...
Cyberpunk 2077 DLSS + Ray Tracing Benchmark | TechSpot

Please provide data to back up you claim.

Which data? CP2077 is perfectly playable at 40 FPS. Those needing 60+ FPS in all games for playing it have e-penis issues. This is not a ultra-competitive FPS. Also, Ultra Ray tracing is a scam, you lose basically nothing in IQ going a notch down but you gain a lot of FPS. So saying "max settings" was a little too much, but having "high" RT setting instead of "Ultra" makes you lose nothing IQ wise.

Hell if I was still using my previous 1080p monitor I think I'd still be maxing everything out (except RT obviously) on my 1070. Even just 3 or 4 months ago I was still applying DSR on that old monitor to use up my GPU's spare capacity in most games.

I've a 3860x1600 monitor now though and the poor 1070 is struggling. Thank God internal resolution scalers are now commonplace in modern games.

Which data? CP2077 is perfectly playable at 40 FPS. Those needing 60+ FPS in all games for playing it have e-penis issues. This is not a ultra-competitive FPS. Also, Ultra Ray tracing is a scam, you lose basically nothing in IQ going a notch down but you gain a lot of FPS. So saying "max settings" was a little too much, but having "high" RT setting instead of "Ultra" makes you lose nothing IQ wise.

Sorry, just because something is playable at 40 FPS, doesn't mean it is enjoyable... I simply reject you post.
Using my desktop UI at 40 FPS wouldn't be enjoyable.

You can reject what you want, enjoyement is subjective. A game is not a UI and it is not a movie, and even between games there are a lot of factors you must take in account. And it seems e-penis is one of them, unfortunately.

Yeah I'm quite happy with a solid 30fps in lots of games. I'd rather dial up the core graphics in most cases. However there are some genre's or games that just demand 60fps. Sometimes it's the genre itself, or others it's just a poorly optimised game that feels crap or stuttery at 30fps. Cyberpunk in my limited playtime falls into the second category IMO. Even at the 40fps (with VRS) or so my GPU can push at semi-decent settings it played horribly IMO. I'm currently holding off playing it until I can get somethings closer to 60fps and hoping it feels good at that.

I tried it with lower settings, too, or DLSS Quality and balanced (Balanced starts to be quite blurry for my tastes). My experience is that if a section of the game plays poorly, it plays poorly at all settings. So I simply keep the eye candy on.

I don't know why you were down on PC gaming. Consoles are having the same supply issues.
I pre-ordered the PS5 the day the pre-orders went live, and got mine at launch day. Some friends of mine preordered theirs in November and got it in late December.
For the PS5 it's only a matter of putting yourself in the queue and you'll get your turn in a month or two. For the Series X there's no queue at all, in my country. You just go to a retailer and bring it home.

Getting GPUs at MSRP is a whole different beast where I'm from.

Yeah the GPU supply issues seem to be at the beginning of the end now. It may still be a few months before things are fully back to normal but I wouldn't consider it as a reason to abandon the format.
Your choice obviously is yours alone, but I don't think it's a good time to give up on PC gaming just yet.
You're both right. I posted that while hotheaded with frustration on the whole thing. I followed all the steps to enable the Discord bot and in the end AMD.com didn't even drop supply for the 6800XT which was the card that I really wanted.

Fact is, the offer on the PS5 is so much better than it is on the PC right now. The only game I'm holding out on playing until I can get better PC hardware is Cyberpunk 2077, and due to CDPR still developing it, that's one game that will just play better the longer I hold on playing it.

Treat yourself to a model with a real SSD, not the eMMC crap.
Oh it's a 512GB model for sure.

At least you might be able to get one?
Valve said they'll be using a queue system to sell directly to customers. I'm fine with waiting unless they claim lead times of many months.
What I'm not fine with is spending 2 hours looking at an e-store on one specific time of one specific day of the week to try my piss poor luck at getting an expensive graphics card, just to fail and feel frustrated.
Though I guess it's still better than what Nvidia has to offer at MSRP to an Eurolander like me, which is nothing.

Back