AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

IMO the problem here is that AMD doesn't get a 350% YoY increase in net income by selling us their GPUs at MSRP, they do so by selling their chips to the OEMs at a much higher price.
Though if I didn't know any better, I'd say your method of selective quoting by slicing my sentence in half and showing only the second part seems a tiny bit dishonest:
Quoting the whole sentence makes it much worse. Your claiming AMD make a 350% increase in net income every year not from cpu sales but from selling gpu's to oem's at a much higher price than msrp since gpu's dont have a msrp I can only assume the msrp your refering to is the msrp of a graphics card.

Quoting the whole sentence makes it much worse. Your claiming AMD make a 350% increase in net income every year not from cpu sales but from selling gpu's to oem's at a much higher price than msrp since gpu's dont have a msrp I can only assume the msrp your refering to is the msrp of a graphics card.

Nah, you're making a bunch of assumptions to put the statement - which I need to remind was made after an "In my opinion" prefix - in a completely different context than originally intended.
I never suggested AMD doesn't make money out of CPU sales (lol), nor did I suggest a specific threshold above which they're selling their GPUs to OEMs.

I suggested that they're selling the GPU chips to the OEMs at a higher price than initially planned in November 2020, and I have good reason to think as such.

Early this year their expected YoY revenue growth for fiscal 2021 was 37%:

g9yi1Rh.png

Yet we're seeing how they're on their way to achieve a growth that is massively above the predicted 37%:

I2k5saQ.png

They already made $7.3B in H1 2021, a period where they had made $3.7B in 2020. That's a 97% growth. They'd need to have 0% YoY growth in Q3 + Q4 2021 to reach those predicted 37%, which seems obvious to me that it isn't realistic.

What would you say is the main driver for the higher-than-expected growth?

- Datacenter CPUs and GPUs: orders for those are usually made almost a year in advance. I doubt there were many surprises there;

- Automotive: same as Datacenter CPUs+GPUs, Cezanne + Navi 23 on Teslas are most definitely the result of a contract made in 2020;

- Consumer CPUs: Semiconductor production generally couldn't ramp up in 2021, and their CPUs have been selling at MSRP for months;

- Console SoCs: Semiconductor production generally couldn't ramp up in 2021, prices per-SoC are locked under multi-year contracts

- Van Gogh in Steam Deck: we have good reason to believe Van Gogh was originally intended to go into a premium Surface device from Microsoft, and at a much higher price point. It appears in roadmaps as "Premium Form Factors" and the Deck starts at $399.

- Consumer GPUs: Semiconductor production generally couldn't ramp up in 2021, but they're all selling at 2 to 3x the MSRP.

Feel free to throw in your opinion on the matter, though.

I dont' think AMD can sell arbitrarily their GPU to AIBs because there are things called supply contracts which are usually signed way before the actual delivery of goods. But, of course a big issue is margins from AIBs, There were a lot of rumors of them not liking the tight margin on AMD cards with that MSRP. So AIBs are trying to sell "custom" cards instead of the "base" version at their price instead than the MSRP. This is the most leaked rumor about AMD cards' prices and I'd say it is the one with more ground, Another issue is the VRAM prices that are going up and up, buying 8 Gbytes of GDDR6 costs way more than a year ago. and this is a not negligible amount of money in a GPU card.

Similar die size to Navi 10 on the same process and same amount of RAM with less power consumption and added functionality for 20$ less. Not exactly good, but not exactly a disaster, considered there are shortages and increased costs the industry is facing.
Not a disaster at all, just not anything to be too excited/enthusiastic about IMO.

Sadly they only had couple games to compare to 5600XT & 5700, but based on those it should beat 5700 XT with clear margin (without checking I think they said 40 % faster in 3 and 70 % faster in one game compared to 5600 XT and according to TPUs results 5700 XT is only ~25% faster than 5600 XT at 1080p
Looking at BFV AMD states 164 FPS and Techpowerup has a 5700xt at 150 FPS. No idea about the benchmarking scenes so differences could be greater of course, but given the specs and the lack of any performance increase with RDNA 2 at iso clocks/shaders it seems unlikely.

Cuz Lisa and her CFO like to sandbag the shit out of their outlook.
Sandbagging a little, sure. But major investors don't tend to like surprises, and 3x more revenue growth than expected is a big surprise.

Sandbagging a little, sure
Oh no not a little.
A LOT.
37% was bs the moment you or anyone else sniffed Milan and/or just how good it was.
and 3x more revenue growth than expected is a big surprise.
Not really.
If anything Wall St. expected better EESC perf for Q1'21.
lol

You can argue they've expected C&G decline but that's kinda BS too given that first and foremost AMD is gaining premium share.

You can argue they've expected C&G decline but that's kinda BS too given that first and foremost AMD is gaining premium share.

There's no way they predicted the mining craze lasting for so long and getting an actual ASP of >$1200 for the 6800XT and >$800 for the 6700XT.

There's no way they predicted the mining craze lasting for so long and getting an actual ASP of >$1200 for the 6800XT and >$800 for the 6700XT.
AMD (nor NVIDIA for that matter) aren't taking the huge profits from inflated retail prices, it's either AIBs and/or steps between them and retail, including retail.

AMD (nor NVIDIA for that matter) aren't taking the huge profits from inflated retail prices, it's either AIBs and/or steps between them and retail, including retail.
Color me skeptical on this.
I see a huge bump in revenue and no other plausible source of extraordinary revenue, other than the ridiculous GPU prices. Again: almost all companies are blocked from production ramp ups and AMD is no exception. There's no volume, there's a ridiculous amount of higher than expected revenue, and there are GPUs being sold at >2x their MSRP.

I can be wrong, but right now I don't believe they sandbagged their predictions down to 1/3rd of the real values, nor that AMD is making zero extra dollars out of the current GPU pricing climate.

There's no way they predicted the mining craze lasting for so long
AMD has little to no mining revenue and their dGP alloc is meagre to say the least.
actual ASP of >$1200 for the 6800XT and >$800 for the 6700XT.
The actual ASP for board kits did not change a dime.
Color me skeptical on this.
Oh please.
I see a huge bump in revenue and no other plausible source of extraordinary revenue
Read my posts!
They're gaining premium laptop share ($$$$ ASPs) and also getting Xeon MSS at Xeon prices (giga $$$$$) while Intel had to basically cut their ASPs in half.
AMD DC biz will be >$1B Q4 or so.
Maybe even next Q!
nor that AMD is making zero extra dollars out of the current GPU pricing climate.
Yeah.

RX 6600 XT is officially announced an no one cared/noticed?

Radeon RX 6600 XT (AIB-only launch)
  • MSRP 379 US-$, available from august 11th
  • RDNA2: Navi23 (full spec, 32 CUs, 2048 FP32-FMA-ALUs)
  • Game-Clock 2359 MHz
  • 9,67 FP32-TFlops
  • 8 GByte GDDR6, 128 Bit, 256 GByte/s (no other sizes allowed at launch)
  • 32 MByte ∞$ @ 512 Byte/clk, up to 1.94 GHz (~993 GByte/s) while boosting
  • 64 ROPs
  • 160 Watt TBP
https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-6600-xt
tbh some people cared until now, but now with the Steam Deck announced I am about to say goodbye to desktop GPUs in a long long while ('cos of the prices and those darn bitcoin capitalist pirates) :devilish:.

Still, it's an AMD product so it is interesting to know what they came up with.

They define it as an "Epic 1080p gaming" device, which is puzzling although fellow forumers here mentioned the meagre 32MB of IC being the culprit, but given the framerates 1440p 60fps is doable in quite a few titles.

tbh some people cared until now, but now with the Steam Deck announced I am about to say goodbye to desktop GPUs in a long long while
Seems not everybody has a choice even if there's the money.
July 28 (Reuters) - PC maker Dell Technologies Inc (DELL.N) said it has stopped shipping some versions of its powerful gaming systems to California and five other states because the products do not meet new energy efficiency standards.

The regulations affect "select configurations" of its Alienware Aurora R10 and R12 gaming PCs, Dell said in a statement sent to Reuters late on Tuesday.

Gaming PCs made by Dell and others use powerful chips for cutting-edge graphics in video games. Those components mean gaming systems typically consume far more electricity than an average computer.

Dell said it planned to have new models and configurations that "will meet or exceed these regulations, in line with our long-term focus to address energy and emissions."

It did not give details on why specific models did not meet energy standards, what it planned to change and or when new models would be introduced.

The affected models contained graphics processing units from Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD.O) and Nvidia Corp (NVDA.O), along with central processors from AMD and Intel Corp (INTC.O).
https://www.reuters.com/technology/...ipments-over-new-efficiency-rules-2021-07-28/

Got informed about this within some private discussion of the 'iGPU at sweetspot, please!' topic.
Thanks for all the regarding posts, guys. Too much to like them all, but i see it's not that hopeless.

EDIT: Ooops - wrong thread. Though i'm in RDNA3 thread. So the following conversation is out of context from the (already) off-topic of yesterday.

Last edited:
Back