AMD Radeon RDNA2 Navi (RX 6500, 6600, 6700, 6800, 6900 XT)

"Your turn should be coming up soon" -> Except my turn never came up, and they closed the line while I was in it.
A dud.

Untitled2.png

I feel like I had even less of a chance this time. At least before I could get to press buttons and stuff.

Looks like you could get a different queue ID if you just opened the store page with a new browser.

This will be even easier for bots and VMs now.

Looks like you could get a different queue ID if you just opened the store page with a new browser.

This will be even easier for bots and VMs now.

How did any of this get past even beginner level analysis?

I don't get why they (the entire industry) doesn't simply implement a signup list where unique buyers are put into a very long queue. Where buyers are determined to be unique based on delivery address and credit card or some other meaningful metrics.

I'm so sick of being unable to buy anything because of scalpers or having to pay 60% markup at the least.

I don't get why they (the entire industry) doesn't simply implement a signup list where unique buyers are put into a very long queue. Where buyers are determined to be unique based on delivery address and credit card or some other meaningful metrics.

This is exactly what EVGA did. I joined the queue in November and I'm still waiting. Didn't matter in the end because I got lucky at Microcenter but it goes to show how crazy the backlog still is.

How did any of this get past even beginner level analysis?
Well people wished for a queue system, they gave us a queue system. The problem is that a monkey's paw is granting the wishes.
I don't know who thought this would be better received than the terrible system that was in place before.

I think they would if it was in their best interests. Valve wanted one Steam Deck per Steam user, so they implemented a queue while limiting the orders to one Deck per old account.
I'm sure AMD could avoid professional scalpers very easily by associating themselves to an entity that has databases of established PC gamer accounts like Steam, GamePass, GOG, EA Origin, etc. and limit the shipping to one purchase per "old" ID (say, created up to November 2020).
There would be little reason for these platform holders to refuse a collaboration like this, because they all gain in getting GPUs in the hands of PC gamers.

IMO the problem here is that AMD doesn't get a 350% YoY increase in net income by selling us their GPUs at MSRP, they do so by selling their chips to the OEMs at a much higher price.
And the more GPUs they sell us at MSRP, the more they'll anger the OEMs that are selling for twice the price.
The amount of GPUs they're dropping at MSRP is so tiny (looks like it's in the double digits per continent) that it doesn't even matter if they're going to scalpers, miners or gamers.

We are complaining, but AMD is laughing all the way to the bank.
The joke's on us.

This is exactly what EVGA did. I joined the queue in November and I'm still waiting.
That's for a Nvidia card, right? EVGA doesn't make Radeon graphics cards.

Where buyers are determined to be unique based on delivery address and credit card or some other meaningful metrics.
With AirBNBs the delivery address is abused by these bot scalpers, in the same way they're used by general scammers. They give a street address of a bnb and because they know roughly the couple of hour window when they'll be delivered, they wait at the door of the house and sign for the package. You have people that literally their only job during the day is to drive to various airbnb's to collect packages for a small fee and deliver them to a central location.

With AirBNBs the delivery address is abused by these bot scalpers, in the same way they're used by general scammers. They give a street address of a bnb and because they know roughly the couple of hour window when they'll be delivered, they wait at the door of the house and sign for the package. You have people that literally their only job during the day is to drive to various airbnb's to collect packages for a small fee and deliver them to a central location.

It's still a much larger barrier of entry than just letting scalpers create thousands / millions of queue IDs to secure all the graphics cards.
Regardless, using:

>1 year-old Steam IDs, or;
> 1 year-old GoG IDs, or;
>1 year-old EA Origin IDs, or;
Microsoft Store IDs that bought either PC games or subscriber to GamePass PC >1 year ago.

All these would be immensely more effective at making sure that GPUs ended up in the hands of people who aren't simply making money through resales on a massive scale.
Cross these with one delivery address per GPU order and they'd make scalpers' activity a pain in the ass.

They're just not doing this while implementing a long queue because then we'd all know how ridiculously tiny the volume for MSRP sales is, and then people would pressure AMD to increase that volume.
If they keep making this a game of chance while talking about so much demand, at least they make it seem like they're making an effort.

RX 6600 XT is officially announced an no one cared/noticed?

Radeon RX 6600 XT (AIB-only launch)
  • MSRP 379 US-$, available from august 11th
  • RDNA2: Navi23 (full spec, 32 CUs, 2048 FP32-FMA-ALUs)
  • Game-Clock 2359 MHz
  • 9,67 FP32-TFlops
  • 8 GByte GDDR6, 128 Bit, 256 GByte/s (no other sizes allowed at launch)
  • 32 MByte ∞$ @ 512 Byte/clk, up to 1.94 GHz (~993 GByte/s) while boosting
  • 64 ROPs
  • 160 Watt TBP
https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-6600-xt

• Game-Clock 2359 MHz
  • 9,67 FP32-TFlops
  • 64 ROPs
  • 160 Watt TBP

The chip shortage suuuuuucks. A year ago this might've been $299 and a good deal for the right audience. Now you'd be lucky to get it at "MSRP", whatever that means these days.

Last edited:
32 MByte ∞$ @ 512 Byte/clk, up to 1.94 GHz (~993 GByte/s) while boosting.

Does anyone know how the 512 bytes/clk is actually delivered? Is it servicing 4 independent 128 byte requests from a single L2, multiple L2’s? Are there multiple cache segments covering different parts of the address space. How many ports per segment etc.

Do you have a link to proof that AMD are selling gpu's to oem's at higher than the retail price of a graphics card?
Yes, I have undeniable proof right here.

Though if I didn't know any better, I'd say your method of selective quoting by slicing my sentence in half and showing only the second part seems a tiny bit dishonest:

IMO the problem here is that AMD doesn't get a 350% YoY increase in net income by selling us their GPUs at MSRP, they do so by selling their chips to the OEMs at a much higher price.

The chip shortage suuuuuucks. A year ago this might've been $299 and a good deal for the right audience. Now you'd be lucky to get it at "MSRP", whatever that means these days.

Stock drops in e-stores where you can buy videocards in stock at MSRP are now titled "Events" where you enter a game of chance to not being scalped by the other retailers and e-tailers.
That's what MSRP means.

Does anyone know how the 512 bytes/clk is actually delivered? Is it servicing 4 independent 128 byte requests from a single L2, multiple L2’s? Are there multiple cache segments covering different parts of the address space. How many ports per segment etc.

The cache is split into independent slices, each of which has a single R/W port and is backed by it's own memory channel, and can serve a 128-byte line from the cache over 2 cycles.

32MB, 512 bytes/clk and 128bit interface then implies 8 4MB slices, each backed by a 16-bit gddr6 channel. The address space is probably interleaved over the slices by cache lines, but I haven't seen that written down anywhere, and haven't checked that. Also, the cache has a relatively high latency, but can support enough simultaneous accesses to provide full throughput, regardless of R/W mix.

The cache is split into independent slices, each of which has a single R/W port and is backed by it's own memory channel, and can serve a 128-byte line from the cache over 2 cycles.

32MB, 512 bytes/clk and 128bit interface then implies 8 4MB slices, each backed by a 16-bit gddr6 channel. The address space is probably interleaved over the slices by cache lines, but I haven't seen that written down anywhere, and haven't checked that. Also, the cache has a relatively high latency, but can support enough simultaneous accesses to provide full throughput, regardless of R/W mix.

Thank you. Is there public documentation on this? Couldn’t find it.

• Game-Clock 2359 MHz
  • 9,67 FP32-TFlops
  • 64 ROPs
  • 160 Watt TBP
Seems like it wont be usefully faster than a 5700xt which was available at the same price 2 years ago.

Seems like it wont be usefully faster than a 5700xt which was available at the same price 2 years ago.
Sadly they only had couple games to compare to 5600XT & 5700, but based on those it should beat 5700 XT with clear margin (without checking I think they said 40 % faster in 3 and 70 % faster in one game compared to 5600 XT and according to TPUs results 5700 XT is only ~25% faster than 5600 XT at 1080p

Similar die size to Navi 10 on the same process and same amount of RAM with less power consumption and added functionality for 20$ less. Not exactly good, but not exactly a disaster, considered there are shortages and increased costs the industry is facing.

Back