AMD: R9xx Speculation

Napoleon@Chiphell said Cedar/Park is something significant, so it could be the first 32nm GPU from Global Foundries?

Napoleon@Chiphell said Cedar/Park is something significant, so it could be the first 32nm GPU from Global Foundries?

He also said Juniper would launch on November 3rd, 3 days before it launched :rolleyes:

if it was 32nm, GF would've ramped in August and it would've been in MP for over a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it would have to be canned... unless someone else can make it. GloFo has no 32nm bulk. UMC? Or would AMD just make it on SOI? What about Chartered?

I guess it would have to be canned... unless someone else can make it. GloFo has no 32nm bulk. UMC? Or would AMD just make it on SOI? What about Chartered?

I *highly* doubt if it'll be made on SOI. This may well push the next gen parts (next-to-next gen for nv) onto the 28 nm node.

And since, now AMD doesn't have to have >50% of GF, I don't see a need for them to push production of gpu's/chipsets over to GF. As long as GF can come up with the SOI process, why care about GF. Fabs are highly capital intensive anyway.

I *highly* doubt if it'll be made on SOI. This may well push the next gen parts (next-to-next gen for nv) onto the 28 nm node.

And since, now AMD doesn't have to have >50% of GF, I don't see a need for them to push production of gpu's/chipsets over to GF. As long as GF can come up with the SOI process, why care about GF. Fabs are highly capital intensive anyway.

So why is it that ATI GPUs aren't made on a SOI process given that AMD owned ATI since 05?

http://xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20090604171017_Globalfoundries_Demos_28nm_32nm_Wafers.html

Any change since the time? Is Charlie the only source suggesting, that GF canceled it?

No, it's official:

97c565cd-9658-456e-bb99-db6fe4b4ef62.jpg

http://xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20090604171017_Globalfoundries_Demos_28nm_32nm_Wafers.html

Any change since the time? Is Charlie the only source suggesting, that GF canceled it?

GloFo dropped 32 due to lack of interest industry-wide, and having customers that wanted 40nm. They refocused the engineers and effort on 40 and 28. Given that 28 is a half-node of 32, if you can do 28, you can do 32 with very little effort.

The feeling I get from GF people is that if someone came to them and said "We have suitcases full of cash, can we buy some 32nm wafers?", they would get them. Also, there is very little time between the debut of 32 and 28 in the GF roadmaps, 6 months with a pessimistic read of the roadies. I would think most customers would rather tune for 28 and wait the 3-6 months.

-Charlie

What about northern islands? 32nm node was canceled. Will be the refresh part canceled too? Or reworked for 40nm? Or delayed untill launch of 28nm production?

Back