AMD: R9xx Speculation

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Lukfi, Oct 5, 2009.

1. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Chiphell probably, saw it there earlier.

2. ZerazaX

Regular

They still say 22nd on chiphell

Plus, the ? was being sarcastic... that legitreviews link quotes Fudzilla directly underneath :razz:

3. onethreehill

Newcomer

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/17512...omething_to_bite_into_after_13th_of_december/

4. ZerazaX

Regular

They say this is direct from AMD, but earlier in the article this was from Shane Baxtor?

He doesn't exactly have the best record on rumors.. and wouldnt the release date be under NDA anyways?

5. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Yes.

6. mboeller

Regular

I think that Barts contain 1280 SPs.

1280 Shaders need around 199mm² (1280/400 x 62mm²) when using Redwood and Juniper as reference. This area should already include the added ROPs too.

The uncore of the HD56xx and HD57xx seems to be around 42mm² (Juniper = 166mm²; Redwood = 104mm²). The uncore of Barts was improved, but only a small amount as it seems (+33%).

So with the assumptions Barts could contain 1280 SPs within the 255mm²

Yes I know very well that this is a "high level" overview but it seems to work. ;)

7. ZerazaX

Regular

Makes sense

2x8 is a more... even number than 2x7, even if it ultimately doesn't matter, engineers like to work in 2's

8. Harison

Newcomer

To be fair, that link doesnt say about 28nm mass production, just tools for it.

Out of curiosity, I looked around whats new with TSMC's 28nm, what I got was:

1. In 2009 TSMC said they'll have 28nm HP up and running in 2010 1H, it didnt happened. In 2010 jan/feb TSMC said they'll have 28nm HP in 2010 December. But they are silent about it either. Considering how difficult was transition to 40nm, and 28nm will be even harder, its safe to assume there wont be any major shipments of 28nm HP until 2011 1H, or even 2H.

2. Altera is getting "initial production in small volumes" until the end of the year.
    http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4209724/Altera-to-get-28-nm-from-TSMC-in-Q4

While its definitely possible there will be small batch of 28n GPUs in Q1 2011, but considering high volume of low-end GPUs, they already should be in mass production to have good initial availability, they wont have that with 28nm.

9. LordEC911

Regular

Maybe I'm just being dense but wouldn't that increase the count over 48?

Edit- Yes, I was being extremely dense and forgot how to do simple math. :oops:
    I think I may need to go to bed.

10. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

No, they don't.

11. ZerazaX

Regular

Where haven't they? Last translation I did they said conference later this week in Beijing, info on 22nd

12. UniversalTruth

Veteran

Guys, I don't find here any discussion about nApoleon's confirmation that R6970> GTX580. :roll: And, also, I don't see any updated information about GloFo's deals with the 28 nm tech process. Only some sentences about TSMC. But is TSMC the only option? :roll:

13. keritto

Newcomer

This vr info should came with certified April 1st reliability :) afaik HD6800 uses "budget" CHiL's PWM drivers and not TI, while HD6900 probably needs somewhat better driver according to their TDP which is 1.5x and 2x of HD6870.
    It's also weird that AMD now breaks pretty long history, since 1950XT times, of tying up their high end GPUs PS w/ Volterra pwm regulators.

I believe ATi have far better margin for those pricey HD5970 than for HD5870, and i don't think i as customer should care too much about manufacturing cost.

HD5870 in most cases sport better cooling than HD5970, which on chip level don't need better cooling than HD5850, and in most cases they aren't heavily utilized as single chip solution. And every gear in retail channel measures their profit individually based on card, and not its BOM or manufacturing cost.

You're talking about nVidia here, where i'm asking about Cayman, an AMD chip :wink: I think they could easily further improve memory bw adding extra four Quad-RBE w/o going to extra weird 384-bit bus.

More likely they dont need to fast ramp up their HD6900 series considering how much of those newly GTX580 vaporware will actually hit the stores. (*not just until Dec2010 but during product life)

btw. i dont see why there's so much of disappointment with GF100 shiny polished rebrand, aka. GF110, in GTX580 if we put aside yet another extreme low availability product on launch date (like for GTX480/470 line). It's faster, finally fully working *GF100* chip, sporting some gaming oriented rendering tweaks. And tbh, GF100 is first innovative architecture after 5yr old G70. So if they make it really available, and for somewhat more popular prices ... hope that Cayman will help there a lot ... it's decent card.

In fact i dont remember anyone did blame G80/GT200, that were similar power hogs, for their low availability in cards sporting fully functional chips on pre-announced speeds (8800Ultra, GTX280) and they sold at even more insane 800USD price tag. It's not like GF100 is deviation from it's heritage :roll: Except it's being cheaper :)

14. Love_In_Rio

Veteran

As someone said in another forum he also predicted that 6850 was faster than 5870, so...
    Besides i believe more in the versions about Cayman being in the 360 mm2 area rather than in the +-500. Amd left giant chips buried with R600... So...how painful ( for Nvidia ) and strange would be a 360 mm2 beating a 550 mm2 one...except for it really being the new R300!.

15. CarstenS

Legend Veteran Subscriber

I seriously doubt that (my bold).

16. Sampsa

Newcomer

17. I.S.T.

Veteran

That translation is too poor to truly gain any info out of it. I mean, it keeps saying "a box of cereal."

18. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

:lol:

That's the name of the website "Muropaketti", it means "box of cereal" in Finnish. No idea why they called it that, though.

19. I.S.T.

Veteran

Well, then consider me wrong. >_>

20. PSU-failure

Newcomer

Question is: does using a power-of-two SIMD count use that much more die space than a power-of-two-minus-one count?

Most of the driving logic needed for the additional SIMDs is here, so that's probably less than a 5% increase in die space.

Is it better to have coarse grained redundancy with a merely bigger die, fine grained redundancy or no redundancy at all?

Considering fine grained redundancy adds to the design complexity and defects usually appear clustered, that would be perfectly in line with the goal they wanted to achieve, the cheapest possible GPU in a given segment.