AMD: R9xx Speculation

Looks like 6970 is closer to 5970 than 5870 and 6950 is about 10-20% faster than 5870. All taking as reference the placement of 6870, since its slotted nicely between the 5850 & 5870 and 6850 is slower than the 5850, both are fairly accurate conclusions.

Just trying to keep Mize entertained.

"Performance placements are estimates" is what the slide says. ;)

Pretty terrible comparison

Pretty terrible rebuttal. Nothing you said had anything to do with his point.

He wasn't talking about yields or power consumption. He was talking about measured performance relative to available resources - i.e. efficiency. And yes, you can count aggregate bandwidth since the 5970 is working on multiple frames in parallel.

Ha! I beat chiphell by hours! :D

No, he's just saying that he may be able to share the date before the end of the month :D
Yeah sorry .. I didn't properly reply that, right on schedule it is (and not the 22nd I believe)

So if Cayman XT is actually a 30 SIMD part, what about Cayman Pro? 24 SIMDs? Would explain the previous 1536 SP rumors...

Cayman has 1920SP, 30 个 SIMD Core, and will not be postponed for sale. The official conference for this week

That would be 71.4% more computational units than Barts. We don't know clock frequencies, VLIW architecture, memory bandwidth, et cetera, but this offers some nice performance potential.

That would be 71.4% more computational units than Barts. We don't know clock frequencies, VLIW architecture, memory bandwidth, et cetera, but this offers some nice performance potential.

We know it's VLIW4

On another news, VR-Zone says the cards are indeed delayed, and according to Sampsa one of his non-AMD sources says the same
http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-rad...age-launch-date-to-be-re-confirmed/10276.html

However, the issue is not yields or such, but just too low availability of one specific driver-MOSFET from Texas Instruments, which is "so new there's no info about it available, not even from TI"
HD6800 uses the same, and apparently there just isn't enough of them at the moment

However, the issue is not yields or such, but just too low availability of one specific driver-MOSFET from Texas Instruments, which is "so new there's no info about it available, not even from TI"
Uhhh ... let's hope at TI they at least know they are producing the darned thing :LOL:

We know it's VLIW4

On another news, VR-Zone says the cards are indeed delayed, and according to Sampsa one of his non-AMD sources says the same
http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-rad...age-launch-date-to-be-re-confirmed/10276.html

HD6800 uses the same, and apparently there just isn't enough of them at the moment
Its probable, but AMD in this case would relocate some of those DrMOS from 6800 to 6900. Initial shortages (which are inevitable in any case) are better than postponement of the launch IMO.

Come on, it almost been a 'known' thing that XT would be 1920SP with 30 SIMDs and Pro 1536SP and 24 SIMDs. Rumours have been speculating for ages. Also, it's VLIW4

My speculation:

XT specs:
900Mhz
5Ghz
VLIW4
1920SP
30SIMD

Pro Specs:
850Mhz
4.8Ghz
VLIW4
1536SP
24SIMD

They both end up with 64 which is required for Wavefront.

Back