AMD: R9xx Speculation

Not sure if it's fail. It's Bart. Cayman should be a lot better and should beat 480 me thinks.

The issue for me is the name and the price point. Having the 6870 name imo. is fail but I hear it's coming at the $250 price point which is not a bad price point although it would be better at $200 though.

When the card gets released, I'd love to know why AMD went with the number. I know AMD are getting rid of the ATI name but it doesn't explain the number for me.

Wow, if that's true, that is so full of fail...

Regards,
SB

How so exactly? Or was you expecting such a card to still beat a 5870 anyway? In any case it all depends on the price point. For example if that performance is true and cost around $230 that's a solid win IMO.

How so exactly? Or was you expecting such a card to still beat a 5870 anyway? In any case it all depends on the price point. For example if that performance is true and cost around $230 that's a solid win IMO.

Are you trying to look cool here with this comment?

Looking at these numbers makes me quietly angry, angry because the folks who own a 5870 already and who may not know much about these sorts of things and thereby guided only by numeric nomenclature (as is their wont) will be buying what they think is a performance upgrade and going home with basically the same performance card they already have.

I don't care how cheap a zero performance upgrade is, the "commercial realities" are in fact simply corporate greed and deception.

Looking at these numbers makes me quietly angry, angry because the folks who own a 5870 already and who may not know much about these sorts of things and thereby guided only by numeric nomenclature (as is their wont) will be buying what they think is a performance upgrade and going home with basically the same performance card they already have.
The 5870 was a $400 video card. People don't buy those on a whim.

I don't care how cheap a zero performance upgrade is, the "commercial realities" are in fact simply corporate greed and deception.

Anyone who owns a 1 year old $400 card and buys a new $250 card thinking it will be a performance increase needs to learn the lesson 'caveat emptor'.

the 6870 will be competing in stores with the 5870, with same performance and price, and so will the 6850 and 5850.

you don't want to make the 5700 series look too slow, nor the new series one look notch lower than the 5800.
I understand some people here have trouble accepting AMD does a generation side-grade, as you expect it from the Ominous Vendor of Strain instead.

I can't understand this whole "fail" philosophy as people keep Comparing Barts to Cypress, while they should compare it to Juniper. It only goes to show how strong Barts is WHEN people compare it to Cypress.
AMD is getting flack now because they are holding on to their original naming scheme where 8 is the sweet-spot.

I can't understand this whole "fail" philosophy as people keep Comparing Barts to Cypress, while they should compare it to Juniper. It only goes to show how strong Barts is WHEN people compare it to Cypress.
AMD is getting flack now because they are holding on to their original naming scheme where 8 is the sweet-spot.

I dunno. The HD 48x0 series showed insane performances increases over the previous generation, and the HD 58x0 series showed fairly healthy performance gains(I was hoping they'd be bigger, given it was a brand new architecture, but that's neither here nor there). That's two solid generations of big gains. Now, with the renaming scheme, everything's thrown for a loop because they've chosen to go back to the ways of old.

Is it really hard to see everyone's confusion?

Will the price be comparable to Juniper too? If it was, many would approve.

I dunno. The HD 48x0 series showed insane performances increases over the previous generation, and the HD 58x0 series showed fairly healthy performance gains(I was hoping they'd be bigger, given it was a brand new architecture, but that's neither here nor there). That's two solid generations of big gains. Now, with the renaming scheme, everything's thrown for a loop because they've chosen to go back to the ways of old.

Is it really hard to see everyone's confusion?

People are blind to the fact that 4xxx had 55nm and 5x had 40nm. This time the 6xxx card has the same 40nm than the last generation.

Also dont get why are people saying fail about the posted vantage results (if they are true ;)).

ATI Radeon HD 5870: P17924/19433 ATI Radeon HD 5870: P17924/19433
AMD Radeon HD 6870: P16270/19480 AMD Radeon HD 6870: P16270/19480
ATI Radeon HD 5850: P15593/18762 ATI Radeon HD 5850: P15593/18762
AMD Radeon HD 6850: P14872/18750 AMD Radeon HD 6850: P14872/18750
ATI Radeon HD 5830: P14014/17298 ATI Radeon HD 5830: P14014/17298
ATI Radeon HD 5770: P11017/16358 ATI Radeon HD 5770: P11017/16358
ATI Radeon HD 5750: P9124/14966 ATI Radeon HD 5750: P9124/14966

Thats quite a gain if u compare that 5850 and 5870 had 1440/1600 SP-s and barts should:)?:) have 800 and 960 SP-s.

I agree. I buy the performance I need using the cash I have available at that given time. I don't buy names. And neither Average Joe. He buys by price alone.

We have to wait to see the prices and the relative performance of Barts/Cayman. If it's Cayman that replaces 5870 at that price point, and it is significantly faster....

If Barts equals 5870 performance at a much cheaper price, then AMD have effectively upgraded the performance level at the mid-range, which benefits the customer. If Barts is the same price as 5870 whilst being a slightly worse performer, and with a newer more expensive range above it with Cayman, then we're being ripped off.

That's not true. If it had been true, how would you explain that Nvidia sells more and more expensive cards? I don't buy by price alone. It's nonsense. :LOL:

Some buy the best card no matter the price.
some are brainwashed to belive the hype of a brand like Nvidia or Apple.
Some are consistent to buy the same brand over time, those customers are gold worth due to them sticking with one brand a whole life.

then, some are smart and informed, they buy the best price/performance ratio for their needs.
Like 8800gt Nvidia.
Like radeon 9700
Like 4850 ati.
Like 5850 ati.
Like 460gtx.

There lies the cashcow, for consumer markets.
Then, the pro market, where they can charge just about anything due to the cards still are cheap to what they accomplish.

I got my eyes on cayman xt this time.
Not the best price/performance ratio, but I spent 2 generations on the best price/ratio last the 5850, so i fugure I go premium this time.
and no, dual cards sucks, crossfire/sli sucks.
To much hassle.

cant belive a week away and no indepth info out yet.
security has gone up.

Back