AMD: R7xx Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
4850 & Assassins creed dx10.1

assassinscreed.gif

"Only marketing" cit. :LOL:

But another site only got 675/682 on two different brands of 4850, and concluded most of the better chips must be binned for 4870.
Binning likely only plays a very small part in this. I am pretty sure I saw voltage numbers in one of the previews (but can't find it any longer :( ), and it was 1.089V under load. Compare this to the 1.22V and 1.32V of the HD3850/HD3870 (taken from some review - it's possible not all cards are exactly the same).
Volt-modding might not really help too much though, not only would you possibly need another cooling solution, but the voltage regulator parts might get to their limits (or just blow up...).

edit: found the voltage number here: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_4850/21.html - actually it's only 1.082V. Also explains the higher idle power draw compared to HD3850/HD3870 - for some reason idle voltage is almost the same, old cards were quite a bit lower (not to mention the frequency reduction is quite modest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard a rumor that the 4870 is also initially only coming out only with 512 megs of gddr5 onboard... Hope we dont have to wait till a couple months before the 5800's come out before we get a 4870 with 1 gig... The 3870 1 giger came out like early May was it?

Heard a rumor that the 4870 is also initially only coming out only with 512 megs of gddr5 onboard... Hope we dont have to wait till a couple months before the 5800's come out before we get a 4870 with 1 gig... The 3870 1 giger came out like early May was it?

IIRC vr-zone has a PR blurb from asus about a 4870 TOP 1G.

IIRC vr-zone has a PR blurb from asus about a 4870 TOP 1G.

Dunno about VR-Zone, but at least one european shop has/had HD4870 1GB listed for presale @ 259€, so I'd imagine they won't be coming far behind 512MB models, more likely that they'll come out the same time

Dunno about VR-Zone, but at least one european shop has/had HD4870 1GB listed for presale @ 259€, so I'd imagine they won't be coming far behind 512MB models, more likely that they'll come out the same time
I highly doubt the 259€ bit however...

I highly doubt the 259€ bit however...

yeah.. it's probably lower. a 512mb product @199 and a 1GB @259?
Presale prices are always bloated ;)
Oh, and 199€ for 4870 512MB? I wish Finland was that cheap, I know 4850's are sub-150€ in Germany, but so far cheapest in Finland has been over 170€

DX 10.1 which is not even supported by nV chips? How should that be possible? :LOL:
Naturally it's 10.1 path for Radeons, 10 for GFs

No more ringbus + fixed performance (by way of lots more units while keeping transistor count fairly low) seems to indicate that the ringbus naysayers were right & the ringbus was a waste of transistors?

Do we know which bit of ATI/AMD designed the RV770?
Team A: R300 -> Xenos -> RV770?
Team B: R420 -> R520 -> R600

edit: found the voltage number here: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_4850/21.html - actually it's only 1.082V. Also explains the higher idle power draw compared to HD3850/HD3870 - for some reason idle voltage is almost the same, old cards were quite a bit lower (not to mention the frequency reduction is quite modest.

One characteristic of the RV670 and very possibly 770 is that voltage doesn't matter much relatively to clockspeed (I think the guys on XS concluded ths. :D ) for overall consumption. Which isn't vaguely close to ideals I know.

It could be drivers that don't have aggressive Powerplay to scale clocks down.

Looks like the 9800GTX+ leads the ATI 4850 in most games they tested at FiringSquad.

Also the 8800gt SLI card looks pretty good compared to the 4850CF in Anand's review.

Looks like you could buy either Nvidia or ATI this time in the mid range and get the same thing for the same price.

The 8800GT SLI does look to offer the best graphics for price + it takes less power.
Nvidia should make a cheap bundle deal for them.

Anandtech

No more ringbus + fixed performance (by way of lots more units while keeping transistor count fairly low) seems to indicate that the ringbus naysayers were right & the ringbus was a waste of transistors?

Do we know which bit of ATI/AMD designed the RV770?
Team A: R300 -> Xenos -> RV770?
Team B: R420 -> R520 -> R600

Last time I remember hearing from ATI design teams they had 3 teams which all collaborate more or less with each other

Hoom maybe the ring bus doesn't shrink well ;)
It seems to have happened with the cell, the analogue part is not shrink happy and prevent the die size to decrease as expected ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back