AMD 790FX and 790X - Info?

lopri

Regular
I have been trying to obtain information regarding technical details of 790X and 790FX (and to a lesser degree 790GX) from AMD.com but it has been a frustrating excercise, to say the least.

One quick question - Is 790X a different ASIC from 790FX? Or is it a same ASIC, differently binned?

I would appreciate any answer, link, or anything. Thank you in advance.

Thank you. I did see the page you linked before, and that's just about all I could get from AMD's website. I was thinking 790FX and 790X are maybe the same thing inside (but obviously differently binned/configured) as well.

I have been looking to build a Phenom system ever since its birth, and I just couldn't pull the trigger till now for many known reasons. It looks like Phenom II finally fixed most glaring issues, so I was looking at those shiny new AM3 boards from MSI and Gigabyte.. Until I saw some previews. It looks like DDR3 controller isn't mature enough yet.

So for now my plan is:

AM3 CPU (most likely either 720BE or 955BE)
AM2+ Motherboard and DDR2

I would like to get some technical details on 790X/790FX and SB750, but navigating through AMD website is kinda depressing. :( Even downlad sections are disarrayed and confusing. (i.e. different stuff in AMD.com from AMD GAME!)

the difference between "X" and "FX" is about the number of PCIe lanes (latter gives 16x + 16x for crossfire), most probably it's more about the motherboard and market segmentation than the chipset itself.

Yes, I know that. I am interested in a little more details, however.

To be blunt, I would like to find documents like these for 790X/790FX and SB750. I am sure such thing exists so that manufacturers can design the boards, but I don't know where..

Yes, I know that. I am interested in a little more details, however.

To be blunt, I would like to find documents like these for 790X/790FX and SB750. I am sure such thing exists so that manufacturers can design the boards, but I don't know where..

I'm not sure AMD provides those to the public, albeit i seem to recall seeing some datasheets for older AMD chipsets, like the RD600.

Haven't received any e-mail from AMD yet, but in the meantime I got my board and started testing it out with a lowly 4050e. (Until 955BE debuts) I was able to get some information via Everest, which was nice.

My board is a Gigabyte 790X, and apparently the NB is RD780, 65nm, 1.1V, etc. I assume 790FX is RD790? Could anyone with 790FX/790GX/770 could post information as above? I know it's a lot to ask but it would be appreciated much!

Edit: Nevermind. Already found it and there isn't much to look at other than different code name. Just hoping AMD will get back to me with some .pdf files~ :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: Still no reply from AMD, but I just found this little toy from AMD and I am pleasantly surprised by its usability as well as information it provides. Not exactly the kind of information that I was looking for but it's so impressive that I thought I'd share some screenshots with you guys. This is by far the best low-level tweaking utility I've seen to date. It beats nTune hands-down, not to mention all those junk apps from mobo makers. (A... Probe, E...Tune, etc.)

AOD1.jpg

AOD2.jpg

AOD3.jpg

AOD4.jpg

It's kinda sad that AMD can't seem to effectively market itself when it has an awesome tool like this.

Reviews of the 955BE have mentioned that overdrive utility, is that the V3 they were talking about?

It looks pretty sweet.

Reviews say you can do profiles including individual core clock speed on a per-application basis so say you have a game that uses only one core, you can bump that core clock up high & drop down the other cores.

That sounds way awesome & I hope some sites test this aspect in more depth.

What I've seen seems to show the 790s having pretty poor HDD throughput though, somewhat offputting :???:

Back