Am I the Last Gamer in the World...

blakjedi

Veteran
That does not give a rats ass about online multiplayer?

In fact the only game that get enjoyment from generally by playing online is football... other than that I'd much rather a deep single player experience with story. Maybe thats why I'm looking forward to Mass Effect so much.

or maybe I'm just not as advanced as you younger net-enabled whipper snappers...

Am I the last gamer to enjoy side scrolling shoot em ups and beat em ups?
I have found that even though I enjoy the foray into 3D theres something more magical and honestly downright more controllable about side scrollers... except for Virtua Fighter... Is that why I cant wait for LBP? Is that why I love Blast factor, Everyday Shooter and Super Stardust HD, Assault Heroes, Heavy Weapons, and Prince of Persia Classic? Am I the only one who enjoys those games MORE than the big budget blockuster, massively multiplayer, online with map editor games that fill every messageboard and magazine? Am I? I hope not.

Signed,

The Last Old School Gamer in the World.

Yes. You are. :p

Offline games can be tons of fun, but multiplayer has become such a huge part of gaming, I just can't see the gaming world without it.

Offline games can be tons of fun, but multiplayer has become such a huge part of gaming, I just can't see the gaming world without it.

But not all types of gameplay are suited to online or is possible to do I'd guess.

For instance games like SSHD would be really crap with lag and if the online only allows for people to coop online with less than x ms of delay, well not many will be able to play it in coop online.

No, he's not. ;)

Most games I couldn't care less about being online. Though there are some games that were clearly designed to be multiplayer. Games that wouldn't work if they were anything but multiplayer. The quake series for example.

But not all types of gameplay are suited to online or is possible to do I'd guess.

For instance games like SSHD would be really crap with lag and if the online only allows for people to coop online with less than x ms of delay, well not many will be able to play it in coop online.

No, he's not. ;)

Most games I couldn't care less about being online. Though there are some games that were clearly designed to be multiplayer. Games that wouldn't work if they were anything but multiplayer. The quake series for example.

You know what I love about internet forums? People take everything literally, or out of context. Both of your responses to me are in agreement with what I've already said, although they've been written as though there is a contradiction. The whole "yes you are" thing was quite obviously a joke (hence the emoticon).

I already said offline games can be a lot of fun. The rest of my post was simply a reflection of the reality of gaming today - games w/MP capability make up the majority of games today. That's it. No knock against single-player games. Stop looking for something that isn't there ;)

Let's see:
Interesting dialogues:
-single player - rarely, usually extremely cheesy
-multiplayer - most of the time
Enemies:
-single player - always extremely dumb, never adapt to my style, tough oponents usually means cheap difficulty
-multiplayer - opponents that learn as I do, adapt to my style, though opponent is usually a creative guy who comes up with better strategies than I do, forcing me to think and not play carelessly

Multiplayer>>>>single player most of the time. Single player can sometimes give you something multiplayer can't, but in general playing games with other people online or offline is such a better experience

I've been only into online games for the past 10 years, mainly sports games.

However, I've always believed that online was a niche or at best, a subset of overall gaming market.

People have been talking about online as the next big thing for at least 10 years. But few have really made money at it. Sure there are a few big MMORPGs but we're only talking about a handful of games which make money from the online component. Not sure if XBL is profitable or what percentage are Gold members.

Casual online gaming sites like Yahoo Games are popular because there are no costs and there, the parlor games are just a way to socialize. Millions of people download bowling to their cell phones but they're not playing online with those mobile games for the most part.

In console and PC space, you have a handful of really popular online games at a time. Madden for instance is huge but NBA Live is less so online. Halo3 and maybe one or two other shooters might get people to subscribe to XBL Gold for a time but there aren't many other games in that category.

So most of the gaming world is content to play the singleplayer or offline modes. That is where developers still seem to spend the most time and where the game is judged.

So most of the gaming world is content to play the singleplayer or offline modes. That is where developers still seem to spend the most time and where the game is judged.
judged how?

Critically?

I wish it were so to be honest..

Let me put it another way.. Do you think Halo could have scored what it did critically without the online component? How many game reviews have you read when the reviewer specifically stated that the game would have scored higher if the online component was there/better?

I guess it really depends on what you're aiming for in the end however.. I see too many teams promising deep, well-fleshed out offline story modes AND online that in the end you end up with both being diluted due to a lack of time/resources to polish both ends..

I think that's one of the reasons why I value PS gaming since the vast majority of games have long since (traditionally) had a focus on offline play allowing all the development resources to be focused making the one single experience the best it can be..

360 has become alot more broad in that department also showing alot more single player focued titles than ot's predecessor ever did..

I can say, when I look at purchasing a game I never consider online multiplayer. I want to know how does the single player work, and is it good? If it passes my single player test, then I would view online multiplayer as a bonus, thats it. I never purchase games strictly for online multiplayer or let that become my deciding factor.

I care about online multiplayer as a way to meet up with friends without the faff of driving round people's houses. However I only care for it in a 'meeting people I already know' way and not a 'meeting new people' way. I also don't care for competitive play. The playing against other people could work in a team of 'us' versus a team of 'them', such as a Warhawk team of four of us versus another, evil team.

I care about online multiplayer as a way to meet up with friends without the faff of driving round people's houses. However I only care for it in a 'meeting people I already know' way and not a 'meeting new people' way. I also don't care for competitive play. The playing against other people could work in a team of 'us' versus a team of 'them', such as a Warhawk team of four of us versus another, evil team.

As gaming demographics skew older over time, this becomes key. It's not as easy when you're no longer in school to get together with other gamers.

Online makes it possible to play not just with strangers but old friends too.

The Warhawk scenario is one direction which this generation of consoles may be able to deliver. EA has started to enable what they're calling Team Online. Instead of just two consoles connected, they now support multiple ones so that you can have up to 5 humans playing another 5 humans in NHL. They're adding that to NBA and FIFA with downloads due this month.

Of course, team shooters have offered this dynamic as well.

The other scenario which could be interesting is online co-op multiplayer, exploring a game with others, playing through singleplayer modes that way. Of course, they'd have to ramp up difficulty and present puzzles which require more than one player to solve.

Imagine playing through good SP games like HS and Uncharted in coop modes.

I basically only care about the singleplayer, or coop, or offline multiplayer in Pes or NHL etc.

That's more or less exactly what I was going to say. I'm not a huge fan of competitive multiplayer, although once in a while a game catches my fancy (Warhawk is quite a bit of fun in multiplayers, but I rarely like FPS in multiplayer). Co-op and Singleplayer (and same console offline multiplayer with my GF).

I love 'em both equally. To me, the single player experience is a chance for dev's, designers and artists to express their creative talents, technical prowess and story telling abilities. When I look at the games that I always keep (won't trade off even when I haven't played it months), they all seem to be games that told a great story, played like butter, kept me interested until the end and all-in-all were very pretty to look at and listen to. I have a ton of respect for the talent that goes into these endeavors. I really view great single player experiences as works of art. Would I miss single player games if they all of a sudden were gone? Absolutely.

Online gaming has been evolving for well over a decade and so far it's been a pretty fun endeavor. I think there have been some great online experiences - Halo's, UT, Warcraft, Diablo, Resistance, Warhawk etc. Like aselto said above, it offers a level of intelligent adversary that no one's AI has even come close to touching. I love online gaming because of the competitive and social aspect it offers. Even when(if) AI becomes indistinguishable from human play, it just feels different knowing your playing against another person and not a machine. Would I miss online gaming if it all of a sudden was gone? Absolutely.

Point in case, I can't wait for Uncharted and I am very excited about The Agency next year.

I at first thought I would, but when it came down to it online is not a factor in gaming for me at all. In fact my Live Gold pass came due on Nov 1 and did not renew after I discovered it had been 145 days since I last played online.

Most games I buy I enjoy playing in single-player and the odd time that I would get online I keep getting frustrated over dying way too quickly. Not a young buck anymore and cannot keep up with the new gen. of players.

You are not.

The online experience is incredibly dull for me. I much prefer playing against friends in the same room.

Back