Alternative AA methods and their comparison with traditional MSAA*

A extruded quads on the object where the lines should be drawn.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.94.3174&rep=rep1&type=pdf
Ah ok,now I have understand... but it isn't a compromise 'acceptable'? I don't think the aliasing is so evident in the finiest objects or not?...however a good solutions to be used MLAA & MSAA for finiest objects, I think the cost of MSAA would be very cheaper for so limited edges... or why not edge detected blur even.

Ah ok,now I have understand... but it isn't a compromise 'acceptable'? I don't think the aliasing is so evident in the finiest objects or not?...however a good solutions to be used MLAA & MSAA for finiest objects, I think the cost of MSAA would be very cheaper for so limited edges... or why not edge detected blur even.
If you have enough free memory MSAA is a good option.

In case you already do use fins for NPR with little amount of shaders and prefiltering to get AA might not be a bad idea.

In case you already do use fins for NPR with little amount of shaders and prefiltering to get AA might not be a bad idea.

It isn't 2xaa very cheap if used only for finiest 'objects' how for example 2xmsaa in a low buffer? I guess not requires so 'huge' amount of free ram or even comparable to full screen 2xmsaa...crysis 2 on the ps3 use 2xmsaa for some light effect at half res why the cost on finiest 'objects' it isn't the same? Just to know.

The consle have neither memory or BW for doing 8xMSAA, and the very high contrast of black edges means lower 2xMSAA and even 4x is still going to look fairly jagged. Whereas MLAA will give nigh perfect results for those solid lines, and I'm sure it can be adapted for sub-sample quality in a cel-shaded engine by faking line between separate points or somesuch.

The consle have neither memory or BW for doing 8xMSAA, and the very high contrast of black edges means lower 2xMSAA and even 4x is still going to look fairly jagged.

Well, at least on 360, MSAA memory overhead is taken care of in the resolve op, but it's the tiling that becomes a limit of sorts. :)

Are cel-shaded games on XB360 featuring good amounts of AA? eg. Borderlands. Zero AA on PS3. How's it lookng on XB360? Borderlands is what I'm playing which got me thinking how suitable it'd be for it to adopt MLAA.

Borderlands is 2x IIRC on 360. I do recall some JRPG (eternal sonata I think) having 2xMSAA on 360 and QAA on PS3... QAA actually wasn't too bad considering the simpler texturing.

edit:

or maybe it was tales of vesperia... had a full screen blur + 2xAA instead of QAA (PS3)

anyhoo, MLAA yum :)

If 2x already costs around 5ms with single cycle on the ROPs(G7x)... 4x must be pretty heavy on RSX...

And then there`s the memory overhead... (not so much on 360 due to the resolve op from edram to GDDR3)

Ah right. Just checked the DF gallery on a few images. Oops. :p

Gotta add that to the list... keep forgetting.. And backup the list too! too easy to lose... :devilish:

What was Heavenly Sword doing that made it "not bottlenecked by the RSX" (for 4xAA 8xAF) according to DeanA and nAo? I know some of it was broken, but that be can't the only thing. GT5 must be doing something similar too.

If 2x already costs around 5ms with single cycle on the ROPs(G7x)... 4x must be pretty heavy on RSX...

And then there`s the memory overhead... (not so much on 360 due to the resolve op from edram to GDDR3)

The next game which will use 4xMSAA should be Brink (thanks to support of a developers of Heavenly Sword in the team); maybe he has found a 'trick' to use 4xMSAA on the ps3...but with MLAA I really don't care more of 4xMSAA on the ps3 :LOL:

The next game which will use 4xMSAA should be Brink (thanks to support of a developers of Heavenly Sword in the team); maybe he has found a 'trick' to use 4xMSAA on the ps3...but with MLAA I really don't care more of 4xMSAA on the ps3 :LOL:

well 4xMSAA looks way much better than GoW MLAA.
i think 2x looks better too. much more consistent, imho.

well 4xMSAA looks way much better than GoW MLAA.
i think 2x looks better too. much more consistent, imho.

You are crazy! Did you only play the GoW demo or something? Because that's 2xMSAA, and the difference between that and the final code's MLAA is huge.

MLAA is really in another league, I think. I'd have to see it in more games to be sure, but in God of War at least it looks phenomenal and the quality is just fantastic. Didn't you see the Digital Foundry feature?

Back