Airbus A380 in livery

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
the airlines will have problems filling a single flight with that many passengers - at least that's what Boeing reckons.
Company FUD maybe?

They didn't want to invest in a new supersized plane, so naturally they'll do their best to rain on airbus' parade, to some extent at least. Of course, if someone stick as many as 600 seats in one of those things (or maybe even more? I'm not quite sure what max capacity is), it is naturally going to take some work filling all of them...

Panicky? If they're already sold half the planes they need until break-even without delivering a single one yet I'd say they're on the road of a fantastic success. The 747 was introduced in the fookin sixties for chrissakes and it's still being produced.

I think they'll have ample time to recoup their development costs and then some, with that in mind...

Guden Oden said:
They didn't want to invest in a new supersized plane, so naturally they'll do their best to rain on airbus' parade, to some extent at least. Of course, if someone stick as many as 600 seats in one of those things (or maybe even more? I'm not quite sure what max capacity is), it is naturally going to take some work filling all of them...

Actually the max. passenger capacity is around 740 if I remember correctly. But that's probably an Economy class only flight :LOL:

the A380-800, carrying 555 passengers in a three-class configuration or up to 800 passengers in a single-class economy configuration. Expected range for the -800 model is 8,000 nautical miles (15,000 km)

awww 800 max ?!? Perhapos those ticket could be the cheapest way to go from one end of the earth to another. btw... is this enough to fly from UK to Australia. I assume the distance is more than 15000 km?

Druga Runda said:
awww 800 max ?!? Perhapos those ticket could be the cheapest way to go from one end of the earth to another. btw... is this enough to fly from UK to Australia. I assume the distance is more than 15000 km?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4423750.stm

Boeing has now beaten its previous world record for the longest non-stop commercial airline flight, which was set in 1989 by a 747-400 jumbo jet flying 10,500 miles from London to Sydney.

That's roughly 16800km.

BTW, airbus numbers: max. passenger number 853.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simon F said:
But it was, to all intents and purposes, virtually empty.

Of course it was, but it's the flight distance London-Sydney which DrugaRunda asked for.

Comparison of real flight situation:
A380: 8000 nautmiles=14186 km
B777: 9170 nautmiles=16982 km

hupfinsgack said:
Of course it was, but it's the flight distance London-Sydney which DrugaRunda asked for.

Comparison of real flight situation:
A380: 8000 nautmiles=14186 km
B777: 9170 nautmiles=16982 km

so B777 just enough

Well it is clear what flight I would like to take :). Unless A380 is significantly cheaper (which I doubt)... interesting comparion though. I guess it was hard for A380 to squeeze those extra 2k kilometers out of the design.

Druga Runda said:
so B777 just enough

Well it is clear what flight I would like to take :). Unless A380 is significantly cheaper (which I doubt)... interesting comparion though. I guess it was hard for A380 to squeeze those extra 2k kilometers out of the design.

Well, I don't know if the B777 doesn't need refueling, as there probably have to be fuel reserves just in case of a blocked airport or heavy traffic. Maybe some wide-travelled Aussie would know...

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Airbus was very panicky about the new plane because they've only sold half of what they need to in order to break even. Obviously since the 380 was started ten years back, the world's airlines are not in as good a state as they used to be.

Actually, Wiki has an entry on the 380. Geektastic!

I got a kick out of the wikipedia image overlay of the 4 biggest planes. The spruce goose is still the biggest! Even wider wingspan than the AN-225. One day I'll get up the Oregon to see that sucker.

That thing never took off, or did it? I think it's more or less implied in teh Rocketeer movie that it did not, but I'd hate to use an action adventure movie as my only historical reference! :LOL:

Btw, that movie ruled. I ought to get the DVD...

Guden Oden said:
That thing never took off, or did it? I think it's more or less implied in teh Rocketeer movie that it did not, but I'd hate to use an action adventure movie as my only historical reference! :LOL:

Btw, that movie ruled. I ought to get the DVD...

It did a little glide, off the water, but it never really flew properly.

Guden Oden said:
Panicky? If they're already sold half the planes they need until break-even without delivering a single one yet I'd say they're on the road of a fantastic success. The 747 was introduced in the fookin sixties for chrissakes and it's still being produced.

I think they'll have ample time to recoup their development costs and then some, with that in mind...

No, Airbus has been working on 380 for more than a decade. A success would be having presold all they need to recoup costs and more. 380 is about to start coming off the production line and they've only got commitments for half what they need to break even, though Airbus has been trying to sell it to the airlines for a decade? That's not good.

I suppose the best metric will be whether the production line will go idle before Airbus has hit break-even.

If airbus has 35-ish or more years after starting to ship these things like boeing has had so far (and will, before they cancel production), I'd think they'd be able to sell at least the remaining 50% they need to break even, unless we hit some major snag like running out of oil or killer tomatoes from space landing on earth or somesuch...

Back