Agni's Philosophy Technical Article

Good question. I would love to read a proper translation of that as well, google site translation can only go so far.

Kotaku off course translated only the most marketable part, fact that Square spent entire year making this 3 minute long demo.
They forgot to mention that they used that time to essentially create entire new engine, tools, etc.

edit - few pictures:
47erue1.jpg

599dunx.jpg

78dtu79.jpg

795vucg.jpg

81pkuf3.jpg

86qluw4.jpg

I can appreciate the magic realism angle ... but Muslim terrorist antagonists, really? Oh well, maybe if it's a shooter I'll actually like the gameplay :p

As for the technology so hard to say something useful with these canned demos ... how much of the animation is straight mocap, how much of the lighting is rigged, how much of the destruction is procedural, etc etc. The fact that video cards can throw a lot of tris and pixels at the screen now I already know.

So far we know that they are using unoptimized models, taken straight out of Visual Works pipeline [models that have detailed fingers inside boots, etc].... and we absolutley dont know how optimized is engine and how much GPU power will be in nextgen consoles. It can be anywhere between 1.5 and 3TF [most likely somewhere around 2-2.5].

It can be anywhere between 1.5 and 3TF [most likely somewhere around 2-2.5].

Ugh...that may be somewhat optimistic, unless it's Sony doing the counting, in which case even the PS Triple is LOLMEGABOMBADFLOPS!!

Comparing the appearance of the back of the devkit to existing GPUs. It's covered in a more relevant thread. As noted, it's not a beta kit, but an 'alpha' kit ('alpha' apparently being a name coined by the media, because I don't think SDKs are labelled as alpha per se. You just get different revisions, each stepping closer to final design. The known kit isn't anything like final).

1040kmz.jpg

Caption below this slide was " シーンのレンダリングパフォーマンス概要 ", which translates into "Overview of the scene rendering performance".

16678µs/16.6ms/60fps. Impressive. I always thought this demo was 30fps.

Comparing the appearance of the back of the devkit to existing GPUs. It's covered in a more relevant thread. As noted, it's not a beta kit, but an 'alpha' kit ('alpha' apparently being a name coined by the media, because I don't think SDKs are labelled as alpha per se. You just get different revisions, each stepping closer to final design. The known kit isn't anything like final).

But a 6750 looks the same as a 6850 looks the same as a 6950.

AMD_Radeon_HD_6750_Graphics_242W.png

But a 6750 looks the same as a 6850 looks the same as a 6950.

AMD_Radeon_HD_6750_Graphics_242W.png
GPUs in dev kit pictures where carefully inspected, and its MSI card, and MSI 6750 doesn't have the same layout. The picture you shown is just marketing one from AMD, every manufacturer can choose different layout.

GPUs in dev kit pictures where carefully inspected, and its MSI card, and MSI 6750 doesn't have the same layout. The picture you shown is just marketing one from AMD, every manufacturer can choose different layout.

The picture I saw and Shifty refered to had the same layout as what I posted. If you have a picture of a dev kit with an MSI layout then please post it.

Back