Afrika - TGS 2007 trailer

Intriguing! I guess Sony think there's no market for Afrika in the US, and are happy to palm it off. I wonder what their reasoning is? Will be very interesting to see how this pans out in terms of sales.

Intriguing! I guess Sony think there's no market for Afrika in the US, and are happy to palm it off. I wonder what their reasoning is? Will be very interesting to see how this pans out in terms of sales.

It could possibly be a sign that Sony are less inclined to take risks with the current state of the company/economy.

It'll be interesting to see how many niche/fringe game types will be greenlighted for internal studios going forward.

Also be interesting to see if any other smaller IPs are allowed to be published/developed by a 3rd party to lower risk.

Regards,
SB

Jack Tretton's latest interview acknowledged that it's a tough time to sell future tech in 2008. Once the economy improves and they start to target the casuals, they should be more open to titles like Afrika again. In general, Sony can't afford not to innovate. They have higher cost than most organizations due to their size and overhead.

At this point, they have too many side apps (My biggest complain is that Unified Village channel).

Well... this game got lucky. My EyePet purchase now goes to this.

Besides the photo shooting game, Afrika is supposed to include a (encyclopedia-ish) field guide. Am buying it for the kid.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24187

Do you think Natsume will do more in that direction, or is this just an experiment?

YM: We are not so interested in the so-called “value” titles. Most of the Natsume games I’d say are about in the middle. Sort of normal retail price titles with normal graphical levels.

Like with the DS, we want to price things at $29.99, not $19.99. But for a PlayStation 3 title, this will probably be $49.99. That’s what we’re thinking. Between $39.99 and $49.99. $59.99 is probably too much.

I thought I could get this on PS Store? Bummer. I'd pay 39.99 if I could get this from the store tonight, but I'll most likely skip it at this point for 59.99. Throw it on my Gamefly list instead.

You may be able to get it for less once pre-owned copies start to show up -- unless you want to reward Natsume for bringing it to US ^_^

I'll probably keep mine together with Blu-ray Planet Earth.

The game admittedly isn't for everyone, you have to go into the game with the mindset that you like the idea of the game and are going to like the game. But if you care about games other than shooters and basic Wii shlock getting released I'd highly urge you to buy this game. I'm enjoying learning more about cameras than animals. You can tweak camera settings to adjust motion blur(shutter) and depth of field(aperture, zoom) and there are different kinds of lens.

I wish the framerate were better. It's chuggy and for a game that has so much driving and camera panning it makes me a little queasy. And it's not like the game looks all that great. The animals, humans, and jeep are the best looking things in the game, they have the highest resolution textures but high resolution textures are about as much as the game does, there isn't any fancy shading(especially lacking for fur) or normal maps. And forget about taking picturesque photos of the landscape as the landscapes look almost ps2 quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to my nearest GameStop 2-3 times to buy it, but it's not on the shelves. I'll have to try Best Buy or Fry's Electronics. Where did you buy yours ?

Back