ADSL issues? (updated...)

Guden Oden said:
If you have multiple phone-jacks in your home, plugging the modem into any except the first in the chain will typically cause very erratic behavior with frequent disconnections, line re-trains etc.

If you still have problems, you may want to check this out. :)

there are 4 plugs in the house, and i have no idea which one is the first one.
Things are a bit better now but MSN keeps disconnecting for some reason. Same for other apps, although i'm still online all the time, or so it seems...

london-boy said:
there are 4 plugs in the house, and i have no idea which one is the first one.

You could try to find out through trial and error, or just see if any of the others give you better performance... Or you could ask your phone company about it, tho I think just testing would be faster.

I only have 2 jacks at my place, and using the 2nd meant the modem sometimes disconnected like every 30 seconds. It was terribly annoying, considering handshaking took 10 seconds. :p

Guden Oden said:
If you have multiple phone-jacks in your home, plugging the modem into any except the first in the chain will typically cause very erratic behavior with frequent disconnections, line re-trains etc.

And make sure you have filters on all the lines going to phones!

Simon F said:
Guden Oden said:

Huh? Didn't know THAT!

Anyway, i installed Outpost firewall and SP2 and things seem to be improving.....

Strangest thing, ftp download is very unstable, everything else is fine apart from occasional disconnections. Just for a very few secs then back on.

london-boy said:
Simon F said:
Guden Oden said:

Huh? Didn't know THAT!
That doesn't sound good.

FWIW, my ISP (metronet) has some quite good trouble shooting and FAQ pages. For example "Intermittent Connections". The section "misuse of filters" may be of interest.

I must admit I am using a cheap phone cable from the main socket to the room where the computer is without obvious problems, but I made damned sure there's a filter wherever it splits off to connect to phones.

Ok, so i have one plug with only the modem plugged in, with the filter having the phone jack empty.
Then i have another 2 phones, plugged in other rooms.
That's bad i take it....?

london-boy said:
Ok, so i have one plug with only the modem plugged in, with the filter having the phone jack empty.
Then i have another 2 phones, plugged in other rooms.
That's bad i take it....?

Yes

london-boy said:
And you couldn't have told me that BEFORE? :devilish: :devilish:

Hey, I didn't know you had 30 thousand phone connector sockets in your house, nor that you had no clue that you need a microfilter everywhere a phone connects.

sytaylor said:
london-boy said:
And you couldn't have told me that BEFORE? :devilish: :devilish:

Hey, I didn't know you had 30 thousand phone connector sockets in your house, nor that you had no clue that you need a microfilter everywhere a phone connects.

....... HELLO!!!!

Not like u don't know me!! :devilish:

Gay bible:
-Thou shalt have 5 phones in each room.
-Thou shalt know very little about stuff unless Brad or Johnny or David are in the marketing campaign.

Elementary really!!!!! ;)

Other question, do i need a filter for each plug, or for each phone? It's kinda different...
And also, in what order would u put the:
-many filters thing
-cable extension
-master plug
in terms of messiness? Like, if i put the filters where they need to be, will i also have to make sure the other 2 have to be done? Or could it be fine anyway?
Know what i mean?

Make sure that anything that plugs into a phone jack has a DSL filter on it, I think I have a few spares lying around if'n you need extras....but I'll have to clean my desk off to find them! :?

For you, I'll do it. Just lemme know if you need 'em.

digitalwanderer said:
Make sure that anything that plugs into a phone jack has a DSL filter on it, I think I have a few spares lying around if'n you need extras....but I'll have to clean my desk off to find them! :?

For you, I'll do it. Just lemme know if you need 'em.

Aww thanks, but by the time they arrive from where u live, among the cornfields in Texas or whatever, i'll have bought an electrical shop, the shop assistants and all the filters i need ;)

london-boy said:
Not like u don't know me!! :devilish:

Gay bible:

You didn't ALWAYS use to be gay! :p

NEway... Here in Sweden it's apparantly sufficient to stick a filter on the connector where the ADSL modem plugs in. At least I never heard more is needed, and I have my acoustic modem plugged in the other connector here; works fine with only one filter...

london-boy said:
Aww thanks, but by the time they arrive from where u live, among the cornfields in Texas or whatever, i'll have bought an electrical shop, the shop assistants and all the filters i need ;)
I live in Indiana LB, and the cornfields don't start until about 15 miles south of me and it takes about a week to get stuff to England from here. :p

digitalwanderer said:
london-boy said:
I live in Indiana LB, and the cornfields don't start until about 15 miles south of me and it takes about a week to get stuff to England from here. :p

:devilish: Thank you daddy, but i'll get some on my way home tonight

digitalwanderer said:
london-boy said:

That would be "extra fast" option, which cost more than those filters probably. Normal shipping takes 3-4 weeks.[/b]

_xxx_ said:
digitalwanderer said:
london-boy said:

That would be "extra fast" option, which cost more than those filters probably. Normal shipping takes 3-4 weeks.[/b]

Nah, i've been ordering stuff from the US and it takes no longer than a week or so...

london-boy said:
Gay bible:
-Thou shalt have 5 phones in each room.
And the BT bible says " thou shalt have at most 4 phone 'units' connected".

One must therefore conclude that your house consists of only 80% of a room or you aren't quite as "row of tents" as you claim. :)

Back