A Year Later: MGS2 still impresses

zurich said:
You mean the albino/asexual Raiden? :p Hehe, I always liked Fortune. She sounded _ALOT_ cooler in Japanese though.

Ring of Red is great, just remember that its a very first-gen PS2 game. Its also got a very cool story set in 'alternate timeline' 1960s Japan. Sort of like, 'what would have happened if the US didn't drop the bomb?' (Split North & South Japan). Strategy elements are pretty good... no factories/resources though :( (I hate working with limited troops). Missions are loooooooooong too, like some can take up to 6-7 hours. Definitely a good game though.

I didn't mind Raiden. Yes, I skipped a few of his CODEC conversations when they got too whiny, but I didn't really have too much a problem with him as others did.

Honestly, I didn't really care for MGS1. To this day I haven't beaten it. Tenchu really overshadowed that game, to the point where it didn't interest me a bit 8)

I think PC-Engine is getting MGS2 mixed up with FF X. FF X has the ungodly tearing, MGS2 is clean as a baby's bottom.

My eyes don't lie...fortunately.

MGS2 has visible tearing.
GT3 has that grainy popping phenomenon.

It's common knowledge.

GT3 only has shimmering in the distance during gameplay, it's been a while so i'm not sure but i think the replays are clean.... It was an early ps2 title so cut it some slack...

As for MGS2....

I only saw tearing when i went to the edges of the platform were u fight the fatguy... and when u quickly did first person camera movements.... Both don't matter cause u don't have to perform such actions during normal gameplay... hence konami not cleaning up such a trivial image problem...

zurich said:
I think PC-Engine is getting MGS2 mixed up with FF X. FF X has the ungodly tearing, MGS2 is clean as a baby's bottom.

I'm not getting it mixed up read Zidane's post.

GT3 has that grainy popping phenomenon during replays especially when the camera zooms in on the cars. Of course if you have a 13" tv you'll probably won't notice any artifacts. Considering these games too almost 3 years to develop, it's bad ;)

PC-Engine said:

It's common knowledge.

Sigh...you not only blow small, insignificant graphical problems out of proportion, you make them seem that just because of those, these games shouldn´t get praise for their graphical accomplishments. :rolleyes:

Logan Leonhart said:
PC-Engine said:

It's common knowledge.

Sigh...you not only blow small, insignificant graphical problems out of proportion, you make them seem that just because of those, these games shouldn´t get praise for their graphical accomplishments. :rolleyes:

Considering how long the game was in development it IS significant IMO. To you I'm exaggerating, to me you're downplaying... ;)

Uhm

what I see, is a very blurry, drab looking game, that uses about 16 colors(all of which appear to be a shade of grey), Blurry Low res textures wrapped around decent geometry, pretty typical of the PS2, Splinter Cell destroys it in the looks department... and Tom Clancy tries to not write his stories too soon after eating those types of mushrooms.

CaptainHowdy said:
Uhm

what I see, is a very blurry, drab looking game, that uses about 16 colors(all of which appear to be a shade of grey), Blurry Low res textures wrapped around decent geometry, pretty typical of the PS2, Splinter Cell destroys it in the looks department... and Tom Clancy tries to not write his stories too soon after eating those types of mushrooms.

You forgot the shades of green too :p

Considering how long the game was in development it IS significant IMO. To you I'm exaggerating, to me you're downplaying...
I've never seen you talking like that about graphics problems in Shenmue, though.

what I see, is a very blurry, drab looking game, that uses about 16 colors(all of which appear to be a shade of grey),
Just play the game. Suffice to say there IS a reason why people praise it's visuals to this day. I just can't bother explaining anymore. (and before you jump on it, that reason is not blind fanboyism or anything like that)

I've never seen you talking like that about graphics problems in Shenmue, though.

DC is a less powerful system and released 18 months before PS2 and also cheaper. Also IIRC Shenmue didn't use 16 colors. Additionally it had boatloads of textures, NPCs, realtime living town, realtime weather, realtime shadowing casting surrounding objects, complete feature rich fighting engine, minigames engine, huge draw distances. Sure it had pixel shimmering in the distance like GT3, but it didn't have the grainy popping phenomenon that GT3 also had.

Oh yeah and Shenmue ran in progressive mode too. ;)

Nod Marc, its an art style.

edit: GOD, you had to say *henmue didnt you? Time to write this tread off...

See, PCEngine, that's what you do. You defend, find excuses and list positives for the game and it's system just because it's your favorite - yet nitpick and generally do exactly the opposite if it's not.

marconelly! said:
See, PCEngine, that's what you do. You defend, find excuses and list positives for the game and it's system just because it's your favorite - yet nitpick and generally do exactly the opposite if it's not.

Actually what I usually do is take everything into consideration then conclude whether or not it's a major achievement. :)

It's all opinion anyway right?

marconelly! said:
Just play the game. Suffice to say there IS a reason why people praise it's visuals to this day. I just can't bother explaining anymore. (and before you jump on it, that reason is not blind fanboyism or anything like that)

I'd like to comment that I'm rabidly anti-PS2 :LOL: for the most part, and I have to say that the first time I saw MGS2's cinematics in action, Jason practically had to slap me back to reality.

Added: By the way, does anyone know of any links to MPEG recordings of some of them? I WANT.

PC-Engine said:
Sure it had pixel shimmering in the distance like GT3, but it didn't have the grainy popping phenomenon that GT3 also had.

Oh yeah and Shenmue ran in progressive mode too. ;)

character popping is also a feature of Shenmue.

I totally agree. The cinematography of the cutscene is great as well as the particle effects. If we narrowed it down to that then yeah it's great. :D

However IMO the cutscenes in Shenmue is also great ;)

The NPCs faded in/out. It wasn't popping though considering it ran on old cheaper hardware and all the realtime NPCs had their own mini lives, it was a major achievement ;)

It only happend when there were a lot of NPCs on the screen, the popping in GT3 happened 24/7.

Back