A Year Later: MGS2 still impresses

zurich

Kendoka
Veteran
Well, I was VERY bored this evening, so I popped MGS2 into my underplayed PS2 (been having more fun with Xbox Live), and WOW, the cinematic quality graphics (most notably in the Tanker level) still amazes me. There were a few shots where I had to hit the R1 button _just_ to make sure.

What also gets me, is how there is next to nil for load times of the cutscenes. Especially when RAY is stolen, the scenes are flashing from various rooms / angles, and there was still zilch waiting (also notable when the environment changes from the tanker to NY harbour).

Again, its expected for a flag ship title that took 3 years to make, but I have to say that the game has definitely stood the test of time. The gameplay graphics are decent-to-ho-hum, but its the cinemas that blew me away. Hideo Kojima-san should be allowed to direct a movie (only as long as he doesnt write it :LOL: ).

I can see why Konami is so PS2-happy with the amount of time and resources they spent on certain games (MGS2, SH2). With the number of inhouse tools & techniques for PS2 they've developed, I doubt they'd want to ramp up on another platform.

the shadows and the lighting impress me the most. They are not solid black. They are clearly permiated by like and diffuse naturely.

Legion said:
the shadows and the lighting impress me the most. They are not solid black. They are clearly permiated by like and diffuse naturely.

I think if I had to narrow it down, I'd say the geometry impresses me the most. The level of detail on the Tanker from an exterior view (in a cutscene) is overwhelming. Same with the brown "pipe" area right before the Marine holds... there are _alot_ of nicely curved surfaces there.

It wouldnt surprise me if half of the game environments were actually gourad shaded, but the overall presentation is amazing.

Did KCEJ ever release a polygon-per-second number for the game?

PC-Engine said:
Other than MGS and ZOE has Konami made anything else worth mentioning?

Silent Hill, Contra, Castlevania, DDR, ISS Soccer, Suikoden, and one very overlooked strategy game, Ring of Red. They also have a whole ESPN sports line, but I don't think they're too hot.

It does?
Ingame looks huhawhatever. You must mean the 30fps, scripted non-interactive, black borders cutscenes with limited objects onscreen. :oops:

I always wanted Ring of Red. Reminded me of Front Mission... next time I go in to EB or Babbages, that game is going to be near the top of my list :)

IMO the most impressive thing about Metal Gear Solid 2 was the character design. The graphics were nice, but the artwork- WOW.

chap said:
It does?
Ingame looks huhawhatever. You must mean the 30fps, scripted non-interactive, black borders cutscenes with limited objects onscreen. :oops:

...and nothing on any system as come close to comparing to it :)

Ozymandis said:
I always wanted Ring of Red. Reminded me of Front Mission... next time I go in to EB or Babbages, that game is going to be near the top of my list :)

IMO the most impressive thing about Metal Gear Solid 2 was the character design. The graphics were nice, but the artwork- WOW.

You mean the albino/asexual Raiden? :p Hehe, I always liked Fortune. She sounded _ALOT_ cooler in Japanese though.

Ring of Red is great, just remember that its a very first-gen PS2 game. Its also got a very cool story set in 'alternate timeline' 1960s Japan. Sort of like, 'what would have happened if the US didn't drop the bomb?' (Split North & South Japan). Strategy elements are pretty good... no factories/resources though :( (I hate working with limited troops). Missions are loooooooooong too, like some can take up to 6-7 hours. Definitely a good game though.

Yes, I absolutely consider MGS2 as one of the most impressive (visually and aurally) games ever made. Everything about it is just so tight and incredibly polished to a point I think it will stand the test of time for years to come. They have accomplished certain level they were aiming for, and there is nothing really that sticks out as a sore thumb. Just some of the things I like to see over and over:

- Mind numbing special effects (rain, underwater...)
- Amazing cut scenes
- Smooth animation and framerate
- Clever scene setups, color usage, dynamic camera angles
- Boss fights - there is so much stuff going on during those

marconelly! said:
Yes, I absolutely consider MGS2 as one of the most impressive (visually and aurally) games ever made. Everything about it is just so tight and incredibly polished to a point I think it will stand the test of time for years to come. They have accomplished certain level they were aiming for, and there is nothing really that sticks out as a sore thumb. Just some of the things I like to see over and over:

- Mind numbing special effects (rain, underwater...)
- Amazing cut scenes
- Smooth animation and framerate
- Clever scene setups, color usage, dynamic camera angles
- Boss fights - there is so much stuff going on during those

You forgot one:

MAJOR TEARING!

You forgot one: MAJOR TEARING!
Play Splinter Cell and come back to me talking about MAJOR tearing in MGS2.

MGS2 has tearing so small and so insignificant (and so seldom) that I really don't see how can anyone take it against it :\

Btw, if you are basing your assessment from the Xbox version - you're playing the wrong version.

There was tearing in the SC demo, but in the retail version its basically gone, at least I haven't envountered anything worth mentioning yet and I'm mid-mission 6. There might be slight differences between PAL and NTSC versions though. <shurg>

As for MGS2, never had any long sessions with it, but I certainly don't remember any significant tearing during the short time I enjoyed with it either.

There was tearing in the SC demo, but in the retail version its basically gone, at least I haven't envountered anything worth mentioning yet and I'm mid-mission 6
Maybe it's different in the PAL version. From what I've seen, it's maybe slightly better than it was in the demo.

marconelly! said:
You forgot one: MAJOR TEARING!
Play Splinter Cell and come back to me talking about MAJOR tearing in MGS2.

MGS2 has tearing so small and so insignificant (and so seldom) that I really don't see how can anyone take it against it :\

Btw, if you are basing your assessment from the Xbox version - you're playing the wrong version.

I'm basing it on the PS2 version and no it's is not small seldom or insignificant. It's a known issue, one that's often swept under the carpet because it's seen as a weakness.

I'm basing it on the PS2 version and no it's is not small seldom or insignificant. It's a known issue, one that's often swept under the carpet because it's seen as a weakness.
Oh well, say as you wish. In my opinion, it's swept under the carpet exactly because it's so insignificant and seldom, but if that gives you more anti PS2 ammo, then more power to you...

Why hasn't MGS2 gone platinum yet? I am waiting to scoop a copy.
MGS2 Greatest Hits edition can be purchased, I think? I know Silent Hill 2 GH can.

Oh well, say as you wish. In my opinion, it's swept under the carpet exactly because it's so insignificant and seldom, but if that gives you more anti PS2 ammo, then more power to you...

My eyes don't lie...fortunately.

MGS2 has visible tearing.
GT3 has that grainy popping phenomenon.

It's common knowledge.

PC-Engine said:
Other than MGS and ZOE has Konami made anything else worth mentioning?

X-Men arcade, Simpsons arcade, Ninja Turtles arcade(I own one of these :) ). But for recent stuff, the only one I've seen that really caught my attention was the new Contra...I might have to try that one.

Back