8 ROPs on the RSX. Bad engineering decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it is worth questioning. The major catch in the comparison though is that Xenos is a lot different than R600. The shader core is fundamentally different. It would appear though, from the use of bilinear filtering in games and general lack of anisotropic, that its texturing performace may leave a lot to be desired.

Yep, different but presumably less efficient since R600 is supposed to be a design that evolved from Xenos.

Obviously the edram will play a part though in making the comparison a difficult one.

The PS3 80GB that includes a free copy of Motorstorm came down to $499.99 since around September or August of 2007.

The 40GB PS3 is $399.99

And as for the 6800 and 7800 running in a PC I am the type of person who does annual reformats, specially since I have multiple drives and use my main drive for things that can be replaced (specially when virus or malware strike hard) I personally have found that the last time I reformatted back when Nvidia released their Dec 2007 driver release for Win XP that I gained alot of much smoother performance and I have a 6800GT with a single core Athlon XP.
Okay so yeah I'm now informed on PS3 pricing. :)

As for 6800, I promise you it still has the same wonderful texture filtering speed issues. Try out KOTOR, HL2, or Oblivion with some texture packs. In KOTOR you will see mip map barriers because of half-assed trilinear in the default driver quality setting. In HL2 I saw lots of texture shimmering due again to bad trilinear, I believe. With Qarl Texture Pack 3 in Oblivion, up in snow country you will see painfully obvious mipmap transitions on the snow surface.

All of these issues can be remedied by setting the driver to "High Quality". But the performance is strongly affected by this. Hence why it is not on HQ by default. NV4x and G7x might as well be the same chip because they do the exact same things in these games.

Problem is you're making the assumption that guys like KP, ND & Insomniac couldn't produce equal to or even better results as they did on the PS3 had they dedicated their talent to the Xbox360 platform with the same resources & schedule..
I think there are two assumptions...

1. That KP, ND & Insomniac couldn't produce equal to or better results on the Xbox 360

2. That KP, ND & Insomniac are that much better skilled than the rest of the developer community to be able to produce equal or better results on the Xbox 360

I don't see the difference between the two assumptions. Both sides are assuming. Personally, I'm assuming the studios in question are only much better at focusing on their tasks instead of complaining like some of the other developers.

The energy some of these developers are expending on complaining should be used to improve yourself by learning this new architecture. Programming in parallel is not going away anytime soon and neither is the Cell. This is a time where developers really have to earn their keep, but not like the days of the PS2. Supposedly, this time around it is much easier.

ModHat: The apple has strayed far from the apple tree and is clearly going nowhere and too slowly. Thread Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back