Every rumour goes through ME!!! ;)

Like this one...

or this one...
20906.png

SynapticSignal said:
hum yes
they have to do something to be competitive with 399 $ X360
if they sell ps3 for 500 $ or more, this will sell badly, very badly imo
boys in a range of 8-18 yo are not rich, usually and don't work so..
and a family father that want to buy a console with the family money, hardly will choose a 500+ $ console

so, sony will cut something, but...... what?
cell no, they can't
rsx no, they can't
memory no, they can't
3 usb? 'humm yes.. possible...'
br-dvd? 'humm, it's very expensive.. why don't... make 2 SKU...'
gigabit ports? 'oh yeah'
:devilish::devilish::devilish:

Well as we said before, cutting a couple of USB ports and a Ethernet connection is hardly gonna save them a lot.

I think they should cut the cover. Just ship an open PS3. The consumer will have to take care about dust and stuff. Besides, no heat issues!! And the kids love looking at the chips and stuff!! PERFECT!!

Brimstone said:
I hope the AA and improved texturing information pans out.

As far as Faster GDDR3 goes, I'd rather see the 1Ghz clocked (8 Ghz effective octal signaling) XDR2 ram implemented on the RSX.

Well I'd certainly like to see some XDR-2 as well, but I don't think XDR-2 is supposed to be available until halfway next year. Not to mention, they may need a revision on the Cell for the memory control to work with it. XDR-2 is awesome though, no doubt.

SynapticSignal said:
hum yes
they have to do something to be competitive with 399 $ X360
if they sell ps3 for 500 $ or more, this will sell badly, very badly imo
boys in a range of 8-18 yo are not rich, usually and don't work so..
and a family father that want to buy a console with the family money, hardly will choose a 500+ $ console

so, sony will cut something, but...... what?
cell no, they can't
rsx no, they can't
memory no, they can't
3 usb? 'humm yes.. possible...'
br-dvd? 'humm, it's very expensive.. why don't... make 2 SKU...'
gigabit ports? 'oh yeah'

Oh you're one of those... ;)

Synaptic I really don't think the BD drive is going to get a seperate skew - afterall the PS3 is supposed to be pushing the BD, not the other way around. Not to mention, it would prevent games from ever coming out on BD discs. No I'm expecting a BD-drive in every system, and as for cutting 3 usb ports and an ethernet port, how much is that going to save them, $5?

And I don't think it'll be $500 either, but that's a discussion best saved for another thread. :)

Lu la go jomo

xbdestroya said:
Oh you're one of those... ;)

Synaptic I really don't think the BD drive is going to get a seperate skew - afterall the PS3 is supposed to be pushing the BD, not the other way around. Not to mention, it would prevent games from ever coming out on BD discs. No I'm expecting a BD-drive in every system, and as for cutting 3 usb ports and an ethernet port, how much is that going to save them, $5?

And I don't think it'll be $500 either, but that's a discussion best saved for another thread. :)

Lu la go jomo

I have to remember that for a 20$ saved Microsoft cuts the HD standard from x360..
think about this

and I think that 3 gigabit make them save 15-20$ + 5 of usb
but let me speculate it's only a 15+5= 20 $ per ps3

the critical mass of console is about 10 milions
20$ per console is an additional loss of 20 milions of dollars

you've got the point, now? ;)

SynapticSignal said:
I have to remember that for a 20$ saved Microsoft cuts the HD standard from x360..
think about this

Actually it's $200 million. ;)

Maybe a gigabit ethernet port will go, simply because I have trouble divining their purpose in first place, but I don't see reason to cut USB ports under four, and six is sort of par for the course these days. If they really are going to allow for the PS3 to be turned into a PC of sorts via Linux and a hard drive, then expansion via USB will be crucial to realizing that goal.

xbdestroya said:
Actually it's $200 million. ;)

Maybe a gigabit ethernet port will go, simply because I have trouble divining their purpose in first place, but I don't see reason to cut USB ports under four, and six is sort of par for the course these days. If they really are going to allow for the PS3 to be turned into a PC of sorts via Linux and a hard drive, then expansion via USB will be crucial to realizing that goal.

right 200 milions, I'm very distract, I think a number but wrote another :LOL:

SynapticSignal said:
think about this

Sorry but thinking that 1 or 2 Gigabit (they're not gonna cut all 3 obviously) will save them 20 dollars and a couple of USB ports a whole 5 dollars is totally and completely out of this world.
The cost of manufacturing of those things runs in the penny's. Maybe a bit more but never 15 and 5 dollars.

london-boy said:
Sorry but thinking that 1 or 2 Gigabit (they're not gonna cut all 3 obviously) will save them 20 dollars and a couple of USB ports a whole 5 dollars is totally and completely out of this world.

now I'll show you what's completely out of this world:

The cost of manufacturing of those things runs in the penny's.
^
/ \
||
this is :???:
if 3 gigabits and 3 usb cost penny's, the cell cost 1$, rsx 1,2 $ bluray 50 cent's ?

:LOL:

SynapticSignal said:
now I'll show you what's completely out of this world:

^
/ \
||
this is :???:
if 3 gigabits and 3 usb cost penny's, the cell cost 1$, rsx 1,2 $ bluray 50 cent's ?

:LOL:

I did also say "...maybe a bit more, but not 20 dollars"

I sure hope the bluray drive is not 50Cent, i would hate it bursting into freestyle in the middle of the game... :oops:

Gigabits are 5$ each ( 3 = 15 $)
the 6 usb are 5$

PlayStation 3Component Est. Cost at Launch Est.
CPUIBM Cell $ 160
GPUNvidia RSX @550MHz $ 100
Optical MediaBlu-Ray $ 100
Memory256MB XDR/256MB GDDR3 $ 60
USB6 ports $ 5
Ethernetgigabit ethernet $ 5
Wi-Fi802.11b/g $ 5
BluetoothBluetooth 2.0 $ 10
OtherAnalog IC, ASICs, I/O $ 50 $
Total $ 495 http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1497&Itemid=2

I don't know why people, that don' know a thing, talk as this thing was sure and well known

penny's :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

SynapticSignal said:
the 6 usb are 5$

CPUIBM Cell $ 160
USB6 ports $ 5
Wi-Fi802.11b/g $ 5
Total $ 495 http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1497&Itemid=2

I don't know why people, that don' know a thing, talk as this thing was sure and well known

So much for not knowing what we're talking about.... The article has been discussed and debunked already on the forum.

Besides, even if true:

If 6 USB cost $5, how much will 3 cost?
If 3 Gbit ports cost $5, how much will 1 or 2 cost?

Is it 20 dollars?

SynapticSignal said:
the 6 usb are 5$

CPUIBM Cell $ 160
USB6 ports $ 5
Wi-Fi802.11b/g $ 5

Do not post this price list crap in this thread, I'm serious. First of all it's already getting derailed enough, second of all, those numbers carry absolutely no weight w/me.

You can read through the entirety of this thread: Thread on price

...and then post a reply at the end if you want to get component price conversation going again. But this thread here is to establish a more defined set of limiting factors to RSX's possible improvement, as well as discussion for what those various factors might be.

The tangent conversation on bandwidth and such - that was perfect for the thread. Feel free to go back to that if you like. :)

And enough with the lol icons! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
london-boy said:
If 6 USB cost $5, how much will 3 cost?
If 3 Gbit ports cost $5, how much will 1 or 2 cost?
Is it 20 dollars?

they say 6 usb cost 5$ and a gigabit cost 5$ (there's three '3', 1+1+1, 6/2, gigabit ;) so 5$x3=15, it's simple, try yourself :rolleyes: )

I would also risk it and doubt that article. 160 per Cell sounds a bit high. It is an "estimate" afterall.

ok, you'll never believe
sorry, can't call Kuturagi 'cause I don't know his number ;)
came on, this is the cost, londonboy, I've put some proofs, now do the same, if you're sure of opposite..
I'm not a "unbeliever" or a "doubter", if you take some proofs that 3 gigabit cost "penny's", I can admit my fault
but trust me, there's a minimal cost in material and manufacturing, no electronic controller can cost less than 5$ in actual console hardware

SynapticSignal said:
the 6 usb are 5$

CPUIBM Cell $ 160
USB6 ports $ 5
Wi-Fi802.11b/g $ 5

Those costs listed include the logic necessary to actually run the USB ports and are very rough estimates -- the ports themselves are pennies (the company I work for isn't paying much for them, and they are only ordered in the 10k's, not millions upon millions). The case of the ethernet is even a bigger difference -- Sony isn't paying 5 dollars per port (again the company I work for is paying a little over a couple dollars a piece for them for ones with the magnetics inside, and we are only ordering them in 10ks, not millions). The cost savings of cutting one of the gigabit ethernet will be negligable at best because you'll still need the switch chip that runs the other two ports. They definately aren't paying 15 dollars for three ports, but they may pay about 10 dollars for the chip (I don't know, honestly -- but I doubt its more than 10 dollars, probably a lot less) and then less than a dollar per port -- cutting the ports won't save them much.

xbdestroya said:
Do not post this price list crap in this thread, I'm serious. First of all it's already getting derailed enough, second of all, those numbers carry absolutely no weight w/me.

You can read through the entirety of this thread: Thread on price

...and then post a reply at the end if you want to get component price conversation going again. But this thread here is to establish a more defined set of limiting factors to RSX's possible improvement, as well as discussion for what those various factors might be.

The tangent conversation on bandwidth and such - that was perfect for the thread. Feel free to go back to that if you like. :)

And enough with the lol icons! ;)

I've a name for who have started to derail the thread
a person wrote "No I'm expecting a BD-drive in every system, and as for cutting 3 usb ports and an ethernet port, how much is that going to save them, $5?" and all this start, this person was......
oh, was you :LOL:

I agree to avoid the derailing of the thread, but if you agree with me, then abstain from start to do yourself? ;)

bye

Posting an article doesn't make it real, especially when we all know the article is misleading at best (like Bobbler just proved).

Those costs listed include the logic necessary to actually run the USB ports and are very rough estimates -- the ports themselves are pennies (the company I work for isn't paying much for them, and they are only ordered in the 10k's, not millions upon millions). The case of the ethernet is even a bigger difference -- Sony isn't paying 5 dollars per port (again the company I work for is paying a little over a couple dollars a piece for them for ones with the magnetics inside, and we are only ordering them in 10ks, not millions). The cost savings of cutting one of the gigabit ethernet will be negligable at best because you'll still need the switch chip that runs the other two ports. They definately aren't paying 15 dollars for three ports, but they may pay about 10 dollars for the chip (I don't know, honestly -- but I doubt its more than 10 dollars, probably a lot less) and then less than a dollar per port -- cutting the ports won't save them much.

Back