GTX512/RSX analysis

SynapticSignal said:
I have to remember that for a 20$ saved Microsoft cuts the HD standard from x360..
think about this

Do you have a link for this? As far as I know even for 2.5" drives the manufacturing cost is significantly greater than $20.

Nite_Hawk

Reactions: Geo
london-boy said:
Posting an article doesn't make it real, especially when we all know the article is misleading at best (like Bobbler just proved).

no because when I talk of cutting gigabit ports, I'm talkin of the logic too, of course
I trust Bobbler, and he says " Those costs listed include the logic necessary to actually run the USB ports"

of course
the cost saved include the logics.

then If you want to continue derailing the thread, take a seat ;)

SynapticSignal said:
no because when I talk of cutting gigabit ports, I'm talkin of the logic too, of course
I trust Bobbler, and he says " Those costs listed include the logic necessary to actually run the USB ports"

of course
the cost saved include the logics.
;)

Why would they cut the logic?! There is one controller and 6 ports, like there is one Gbit controller and 3 ports. The logic is what costs money and it's staying there because there will still be "some" ports left. If they cut something, they cut the ports and only the ports, which cost pennies.
If they take out the USB and Ethernet controllers, none of the ports left would work.

then If you want to continue derailing the thread, take a seat

Good way to avoid people's criticism of your crap posts, after you derailed the thread up to this point!

Enough with this now.

Synaptic go read that thread I linked to, and then come back. Until then, admit to yourself that you have no idea in what manner those cost figures were derived and that Bobbler probably has a clearer line to the answer on this aspect than you yourself do.

Anyway in other news, on your previous posts Synaptic you give a clear reason why Sony may wish to pursue a bandwidth increase via the use of faster GDDR3.

SynapticSignal said:
Gigabits are 5$ each ( 3 = 15 $)
the 6 usb are 5$

PlayStation 3Component Est. Cost at Launch Est.
CPUIBM Cell $ 160
GPUNvidia RSX @550MHz $ 100
Optical MediaBlu-Ray $ 100
Memory256MB XDR/256MB GDDR3 $ 60
USB6 ports $ 5
Ethernetgigabit ethernet $ 5
Wi-Fi802.11b/g $ 5
BluetoothBluetooth 2.0 $ 10
OtherAnalog IC, ASICs, I/O $ 50 $
Total $ 495 http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1497&Itemid=2

I don't know why people, that don' know a thing, talk as this thing was sure and well known

penny's :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Just for a reference, these are retailprices for acasual Consumer taking at least 100 pieces of Ethenernet-Ports.
unshielded - 0,45€

shielded - 1,67€

Now substract taxes and consider that Sony may need substantially more that 100 pieces and orders them directly from the manufacturer and you are nuts if you believe they pay more than 1$ per Gigabit-Port. Its rather substancially less than 1/2 dollar in any case.

Last edited by a moderator:
some people have to
1) undestand english:
"when I talk of cutting gigabit ports, I'm talkin of the logic too, of course"
2) some others need to stop derailing threads then blame others that reply
3) if they cut gigabit, they cut ALL the logic, = no gigabit ,seems a simple concept, but some have problem to understand this

pure, 100% simple

xbdestroya said:
Anyway in other news, on your previous posts Synaptic you give a clear reason why Sony may wish to pursue a bandwidth increase via the use of faster GDDR3.

but they can't, because they want to limit the loss, not to make grow the loss
:devilish:

SynapticSignal said:
some people have to
1) undestand english:
3) if they cut gigabit, they cut ALL the logic, = no gigabit ,seems a simple concept, but some have problem to understand this

pure, 100% simple
There's little in the way of logic needed for the ports. This is like cutting a $1M project to try and fix the $400B deficit. It's nickel and diming to nowhere. The cost-leaders in the PS3 are known. If Sony is gonna cut anything, it would have to be one of the items that cost more than a few bucks. The ports are there b/c they are cheap to throw in (IMO). PEACE.

MechanizedDeath said:
There's little in the way of logic needed for the ports. This is like cutting a $1M project to try and fix the $400B deficit. It's nickel and diming to nowhere. The cost-leaders in the PS3 are known. If Sony is gonna cut anything, it would have to be one of the items that cost more than a few bucks. The ports are there b/c they are cheap to throw in (IMO). PEACE.
so what they'll cut?
CELL?
;)

SynapticSignal said:
so what they'll cut?
CELL?
;)
They'll cut nothing. They'll have priced out the parts for the system before announcing it at E3. I assume they can forecast costs to within at least a year. Being the prime manufacturer of a lot of the components should afford them that luxury. Cutting ports just seems so pointless. They'd save a few bucks, yet still lost money. $10 per system isn't such a big deal compared to the other $90 or so of loss that's piling up. That and those prices (particularly the Cell and BD) prices look whacked. Not sure how Cell is the more expensive of the two chips (fewer trannies and smaller die, and more redundancy). Not sure why a BD drive will cost $100 to make, unless the laser itself costs like $90 to make. Optical drives are quite modular. CD drives are built much the same as DVD drives, which should be much the same as BD drives. The laser and logic (I assume contained on IOP) shouldn't cost that much. Meh. PEACE.

SynapticSignal said:
some people have to
1) undestand english:

pure, 100% simple
1) its still nothing but an uneducated guess. Its quite possible that the additional cost of the logic within the IO-Chip( ie. additional die-size ) will be offset by high volume-production. Its the same as with Cell-core, which is planned to use in workstations too, in fact Sony could cut out alot of unused FlexIO-Links if it werent for the fact that those could be used outside of the PS3.
3) Cut all gigabit? Sure

Npl said:
1) its still nothing but an uneducated guess. Its quite possible that the additional cost of the logic within the IO-Chip( ie. additional die-size ) will be offset by high volume-production. Its the same as with Cell-core, which is planned to use in workstations too, in fact Sony could cut out alot of unused FlexIO-Links if it werent for the fact that those could be used outside of the PS3.
3) Cut all gigabit? Sure

1) It's a rumor, you can believe or not, but the only uneducated thing is lacking of respect with another person

3) why don't?
a normal ethernet is far than enought in my opinion

SynapticSignal said:
some people have to
1) undestand english:
pure, 100% simple

Some people need to
1) learn english

3) why don't?
a normal ethernet is far than enought in my opinion

Don't go around patronising people for their understanding of a language, when you're the first not to know it.

Back