[360, PS3] Borderlands

I'm getting the latest DLC soon. I really like Borderlands, so I'm supporting it as much as I can.

Are you PC/XB360 players? Or solo players? I did enjoy Borderlands, but the fact they never addressed some of the PS3 bugs has me doubting them as a developer and unwilling to buy future Gearbox games without plenty of reading around first to be sure they do what they actually say they do.

There is a big "final patch" that is currently in the last stages of QA. Supposedly it will try to fix a load of things and reset the game with a higher level cap and scaled enemies and weapons.

Apparently because of Xbox restrictions on number/size of patches, Gearbox is trying to get everything done in the one patch that is due some time in October to match up with the Game Of The Year edition.

I expect Gearbox are working on Borderlands 2 by now.

IMO the 360 version doesn't have too many bugs or performance issues (though I didn't do too much co-op). It was (is) mostly pure awesome.

I feel the same!

The wife and I played the crap out of the PS3 version and two of the DLCs, probably the most time spent in a game this gen for me. What are these show stopping bugs you speak of? The game is not perfect (what game is?) but it was very far from unplayable on the PS3.

Cheers

Are you PC/XB360 players? Or solo players? I did enjoy Borderlands, but the fact they never addressed some of the PS3 bugs has me doubting them as a developer and unwilling to buy future Gearbox games without plenty of reading around first to be sure they do what they actually say they do.

PC version here. The only things I didn't like about the game were the horrible texture streaming (ugh) and the cell shading (the original look was so much better, IMO). But it's a testament to the game itself that despite those I still rank it as one of the best games of that year.

Other than that any bugs I ran into were so minor that I really don't remember them. What bugs did the PS3 version have?

Regards,
SB

Broken online aspects mostly. The single player campaign was fun. Howrever, I wasted so much time trying to get to play with friends online, and with constant complaints about the broken voice-chat on the forums going unaddressed while they continued to roll out DLC, that leaves an unfortunate bitter after-taste. "We'll make money of those who are not having problems and ignore those who are," is not a very considerate attitude. Not to mention the story what utter pants and made no sense whatsoever!

I'd like a Borderlands 2 or similar, definitely. The RPG elements in a shooter made it far more involving for me than other shooters. Plus the whole pacing and tempo, allowing long-distance sniper shots or up-close Rambo style however the player felt. I'm just gonna wait until after release and check the forums, and this time when I ask and people say, "you'll have no problems, there are these workarounds," I'll ignore them and go by the number of people who are having problems! (although of course if Sony got their act together, a lot of this would be moot.)

Broken online aspects mostly. The single player campaign was fun. Howrever, I wasted so much time trying to get to play with friends online, and with constant complaints about the broken voice-chat on the forums going unaddressed while they continued to roll out DLC, that leaves an unfortunate bitter after-taste. "We'll make money of those who are not having problems and ignore those who are," is not a very considerate attitude. Not to mention the story what utter pants and made no sense whatsoever!

I'd like a Borderlands 2 or similar, definitely. The RPG elements in a shooter made it far more involving for me than other shooters. Plus the whole pacing and tempo, allowing long-distance sniper shots or up-close Rambo style however the player felt. I'm just gonna wait until after release and check the forums, and this time when I ask and people say, "you'll have no problems, there are these workarounds," I'll ignore them and go by the number of people who are having problems! (although of course if Sony got their act together, a lot of this would be moot.)

Yeah, I can see why you might not have liked that whole experience and why you asked about X360/PC platform as neither of those would have had the problems you mentioned. I'm still amazed that Sony hasn't implemented any sort of universal voice and party chat. If nothing else that would go a long way to at least standardizing the quality of voice chat. On the PC I rarely rely on company provided voice chat as it can range from horrible to decent. Instead almost everyone I know ignores in game voice chat options and instead uses Teamspeak or Ventrillo.

Regards,
SB

The wife and I played the crap out of the PS3 version and two of the DLCs, probably the most time spent in a game this gen for me. What are these show stopping bugs you speak of? The game is not perfect (what game is?) but it was very far from unplayable on the PS3.

Cheers

I played through the game, played through some DLC and then bought this General Knoxx DLC. Played fine, was great until I had to rescue a women from jail. Fight in the jail, rescued here and had to fight back with tons of enemies - first game I ever played with framerate so low that I could not aim anymore...I tried to hide behind boxes so that the engine can cool down - but everytime I looked up and shoot my Vulcano sniper with fire effect - I got a slide show and got attacked without having much chance to fight back...it was indeed unplayable for me on PS3.
I stoped there as it just was not fun anymore - they should have optimized the DLC better, this way it just smells like easy money to me - boooooo!

I like the game a lot, and I def looking forward to Bortherlands 2 (hopefully with more effort put into the PS3 version) - but I will make sure this time that I carefully read the review sections about the tech!

It's remarkable the PS3 version had those problems. The 360 version wasn't flawless, but it never became unplayable. And I spent most of the game in 2-4 player non-local coop. I think the only time it got bad was four players in Mad Moxxi

Back