[360, PS3] Borderlands

AntShaw

Regular
So, I found a rag sitting on someones desk here at work and it had a breakdown of Borderlands. Game sounds fantastic.

Diabloesque FPS. 4-Player co-op. Loot grinding.

All set in a 'Mad Max' style world. Random 'instances' each time you go out.

Sounds rather fun and a good mix of all the right elements in a fun FPS setting. Gearbox is working on the title.

Didn't have any info on release date, but sounds like a fun multi-platformer!

Well, the "Mad Max" style seems to have gone now! Here's the new Cel-shaded (POP 4) look they are following now
Mod : removed magazine scan as per the rules.

Ain't bad, but the "inhospitable" planet has turned into a "Beautiful" planet now, a big change of mood, eh ;) !

This is what it was earlier :
bord_large_2.jpg

Wow nice change of direction, at least for the characters so far based on that shot. Unfortunately that below shot wasn't what it was earlier, the in-game stuff was much less inspiring IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the change, but I think I agree with the devs that "cell-shaded" is a woefully inadequate term this day in age. What Price of Persia, Valkyria Chronicles and Borderlands are doing is incredibly diverse and pretty far from Jet Set Radio or Wind Waker.

I think this change in styling could be very effective. A game like this could struggle to stand out in a crowd of bland post-apoc/sci fi settings. Now it has a beautiful, distinctive look going for it in addition to its preexisting virtues.

I was worried about the change the first seconds I read about it, then I thought "why not", and now that I've seen a screenshot, I find it nice.
I wonder if that style will have an impact on the narrative...

I love the change. Gives the graphics a lot of character (there's so many gritty, dirty and realistically rendered games out there that I find it hard to get excited for those kind of visuals anymore)

Yes , there are a lot of gritty games out there, but the whole concept was like venturing into a dangerous uncharted land with 3 of your friends in search of loot , while encountering deadly wil life and pirates on te way. Add to that the option that the parts that you might find on such expeditions can joined together to form innumerable types of guns. The earlier "Mad MAx' Look helped that concept tremendously.
The new look feels like yes, you are still going for loot with 3 of your friends, but now in an Aladin like beautful place, where you might as well find some princesses on the way :p !
They are opposite to each other, the two looks. The first one felt better to me, especially when the concept focussed on countless gun-types possible. I like to be in a dangerous looking place if I am to be prompted to go after guns ;) !

Oh come on. It doesn't look anywhere near cheery or "Alladin" or "Prince of Persia" at all. It still has a very "mature" comic look to it. Looks more stylized, but I take that over the Fallout 3 knock-off visuals any day. It still looks like Mad Max. Not quite like the movie anymore, but more what the graphic novel would have probably looked like.

[gt]49925[/gt]

New trailer with cell shaded visuals. The game's concept is great, but the 2D style just doesn't fit , in my opinion. The initial trailer with lotsa guns and hostile wildlife was just Superb !

I also like the original Teaser Trailer better than this one.
17 seconds of in-game footage... that's short, but at least you can see the new art style in action.

I'm still interested in that game anyway.
I'd welcome a gameplay trailer.

The new artstyle is 100x better than the original. They can actually sell their game as unique, instead of all the same looking games that come out every year. Good on them

The new visuals are just...blah...

And the aliasing on the black lines to enhance the cell shading are just horribly distracting. Since it's ALWAYS high contrast, it's ALWAYS in your face.

Absolutely the worst game graphics I have seen in any current gen console to date (ok a bit of exaggeration, but it's BAD).

Yuck, looks like this won't be making my "to try" list.

I was so looking forward to this originally also as it was a Post Apoc-ish game.

Regards,
SB

That damn impressive graphic and art style. I can just imagine this with all clean edges with high AA an AF.

I guess wasteland-ish open world action games with RPG elements are all the rage these days...........:rolleyes:(Fallout 3, Borderlands, Rage)

I guess wasteland-ish open world action games with RPG elements are all the rage these days...........:rolleyes:(Fallout 3, Borderlands, Rage)

Yeah, but it's the coop and Diablo style loot that's getting me revved for Borderlands. Plus the art style is at least unique, though a bit more color in the environs would be nice. Right now it's looking like a cartoonish Capital Wasteland :???:. Perhaps those are just particularly bland screenies..

Te whole Hook of this game is the 4 player co-op ! You go for loots with ur friends and encounter randomn events. You might go out one day, find some bandits, loot them for weaponry and ammo, only to lose it all on some wild life you encounter on ur way back :D !

Those are the kind of experiences the devs are putting their money on ! Its like a journey into the unknown, u don't know what's gonna happen today, but with 4 friends, it can become an experience u remember !

Let's hope they do a better job than Hellgate: London (good game ruined by more bugs than you could count).

Although I'm still not liking the graphics direction of Borderlands.

Regards,
SB

Back