360 HD-DVD Rumours - $170 in JPN? 1080p and MCE compatability?

People talking about tiling for 1080p games??? you won't need AA with 1080p, so no tiling required correct? :mrgreen:

Also 1080p can be displayed over the VGA cables with the update??? Wow. :D

As I understand it:

1080p over component=just fine.

Movies with ICT flag=no 1080p over component.

I think the ICT flag and "no 1080p over component" stuff is seperate. Not sure what the story on that is, but I believe that's what the AACS mandates seperately.

why would the number of games at 1080p be any fewer than Ps3? :LOL:

At first blush it would seem there is even more overhead in getting to 1080p on 360 than PS3 (some devs seem to have enough trouble with tiling at 720p, let alone twice that), and the number of 1080p sets out there seems to be swaying some developers on the matter, on whether they even try for it or not - and that will be an even smaller number for 360 because it'll need to be the number of 1080p sets that accept 1080p over component.

People talking about tiling for 1080p games??? you won't need AA with 1080p, so no tiling required correct?

Incorrect.

....and the number of 1080p sets out there seems to be swaying some developers on the matter, on whether they even try for it or not - and that will be an even smaller number for 360 because it'll need to be the number of 1080p sets that accept 1080p over component.

well that does makes sense T but the difference between a few on 360 and more than several for Ps3 is still small :D...

I'd like to hear from Jawed on the tiling issue before saying that you are correct there though. ;)

well that does makes sense T but the difference between a few on 360 and more than several for Ps3 is still small :D...

True, but the number of TVs accepting 1080p versus the number that accept 1080p over component may grow going forward. I don't know if 1080p over component is something that will become common (?)

I'd like to hear from Jawed on the tiling issue before saying that you are correct there though. ;)

Geez, thanks for the vote of confidence :LOL:

Maybe Dave's article will convince you:

http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/xenos/index.php?p=05

1080p without AA would be about the same as 720p with 2xAA..or to be more precise, have a footprint just shy of 16MB without AA i.e. requires tiling.

True, but the number of TVs accepting 1080p versus the number that accept 1080p over component may grow going forward. I don't know if 1080p over component is something that will become common (?)

I though it was becoming a larger part of the market recently. I now am leaning toward one in a year or so, myself. (Geez, just went 1080i last year) ;)

Geez, thanks for the vote of confidence :LOL:

no offense intended. :smile:

BTW... good morning to you mate.... as it's now bed time here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh, business and posturing. Wasn't it only a week ago MS were saying 1080p games weren't going to happen on PS3? And all along they've said it wasn't necessary. The proverbial pissing contest continues unhampered by any degree of sense.

Anyway, what's this about secret features enabled a year ofter launch? Huh?! :oops: Why not enable them at launch? I can only guess there was a software thing required, some driver shennanigans maybe. Very wierd to put chips in a console that won't do anything. Scary even. I don't like the idea of buying a product with secret features that'll be enabled with an 'update'. Isn't that what happens when the robots turn on humanity? They're all nice to begin with so everyone adopts them, and then they get an update and turn psycho?

"Let's not activate our brain-drain Hypno-Beam until after a year and we've a good install base. Then we'll have a much larger Zombie Army Horde the moment they turn it on and get a spiral pattern vapourising their identity. Muahahahaha!"

Wait how are they achieveing 1080p HD-DVD movies via component? AACS forbids that. (yes I know current AACS agreement is interim, but to change it you need mass approval).

The press release is quite well worded to mask the HD-DVD issue, it just says "movie content". It's quite a clever bit of PR.

AACS is the least of our problems. The real problem here is that very few sets can actually take 1080p through component anyway.

So, there are few 1080p sets and out of those few, an even small segment can actually take 1080p through component for whatever reason.

1080i though component (As long as it's full 1920*1080i and not 1440*1080i) will look gorgeous anyway. 1080i-to-1080p will provide a similar difference to 480i-to-480p, which is already quite small, depending on the set.

1080p is nice and all, and it's definitely better on 1080p since it avoids the need of deinterlacing (can potentially create image quality issues), but 1080i at full res looks absolutely stunning, especially seen how the 1080p sets of today can deinterlace a 1080i signal very well.

It'll do 1080p through VGA aswell which is why I'm excited! IF you have a native 1080 set and a VGA port you're good to go! :)

VGA is always progressive.

It'll do 1080p through VGA aswell which is why I'm excited! IF you have a native 1080 set and a VGA port you're good to go! :)

VGA is always progressive.

Heh, another problem is that out of the few 1080p panels, an unknown percentage will take 1920*1080 through VGA too.

Most glaring example is the Sony 1080p X-Series. They can take 1080p through HDMI, not sure about component, but can only take a lower resolution (i think it's 1368*768 for some strange reason) through the VGA port.

Then again, this is all from memory so i could be wrong about the Sony set, but there are definitely some sets that behave like that, like the Philips. Also, i'm talking about European/UK sets, US ones are probably different.

But if you say your TV can take 1920*1080 through VGA and/or component, then you're set!

Most glaring example is the Sony 1080p X-Series. They can take 1080p through HDMI, not sure about component, but can only take a lower resolution (i think it's 1368*768 for some strange reason) through the VGA port.
Could it be that the VGA port is mainly for PC's, and it needs to take in some PC friendly (lower) resolutions through it.

Could it be that the VGA port is mainly for PC's, and it needs to take in some PC friendly (lower) resolutions through it.

Still no reason why it shouldn't take a higher resolution as well as the lower resolutions, seen how the set has a native res of 1920*1080 (progressive obviously cause it's LCD). And 1920*1080 is a normal PC resolution, if your PC can handle it. These days any resolution is a "normal" PC resolution really...:D

The only left piece in the jigsaw puzzle is the HD DVD internal Xbox 360 w/ HDMI, then :cool:

As for the 1080p firmware update to the upscaler I don't doubt its viability, but I'm curious about the upscaling latency.

EDIT: Or is it just what some 1080p TVs do (1080i -> 1080p interpolation)? I mean, not 1080p/60 output which games need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder how much processing power the upscaling to 1080p needs over 720p/1080i, and if it's done mainly in software would it effect the more complex games.

Wonder how much processing power the upscaling to 1080p needs over 720p/1080i, and if it's done mainly in software would it effect the more complex games.
Depends on the algorithm. The GPU could do a straight bilinear resample using the texture units (copy backbuffer as texture, render to screen-sized quad) with negligable effort and just a bit of BW consumption. You can then add any amount of custom upscaling methods to get different quality output. Check out the numerous PhotoShop upscalers for some quite demanding techniques.

I don't like the idea of buying a product with secret features that'll be enabled with an 'update'. Isn't that what happens when the robots turn on humanity? They're all nice to begin with so everyone adopts them, and then they get an update and turn psycho?
The "transform and imprison your owner" update won't happen until they get at least 80 million units out there. They want a good beachhead.

Damn, after 2 years I had to register for this. Can anyone clarify this:
At their pre-TGS press briefing in Tokyo today, Microsoft announced that the Xbox 360 will support 1080p content through a software upgrade. The "p" stands for parity.
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/20/tgs-xbox-360-to-add-1080p-support-ps3-to-lose-bullet-point/

The "p" stands for parity? Parity does not equals to Progressive!
Lol, so they shamesly call it 1080p, but everything is gonna be upscaled from 720p. Maybe they think that PGR3 [rendered @ 540p] needs to be streched-up little more.

And can anyone tell me, will ANY content on x360 be rendered at 1080progressive and then sent to TV?

1080p without AA would be about the same as 720p with 2xAA..or to be more precise, have a footprint just shy of 16MB without AA i.e. requires tiling.
Unless you could live with 32bpp, in which case your footprint would be about 8 MB. Granted, that's pretty limiting.
Wait how are they achieveing 1080p HD-DVD movies via component? AACS forbids that. (yes I know current AACS agreement is interim, but to change it you need mass approval).
For the millionith time in this thread, no. You're thinking of the ICT, which, when present, mandates a downgraded signal over analog connections (like component) and HDCP-less digital connections. However, AFAIK most studios have agreed not to release any content containing the ICT until 2011, due to the prevelance of non-HDCP sets out there. Also, they feel it would slow HDDVD/Blu-Ray adoption and be a PR nightmare (which they're right).

Back