360 HD-DVD Rumours - $170 in JPN? 1080p and MCE compatability?

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/microsoft/xbox-360-hd-dvd-player-hits-japan-nov-22-201696.php

According to my friendly neighborhood Shibuya sources, Microsoft will announce tomorrow (late tonight for those of you in saner time zones) that the Xbox 360 HD DVD player attachment will ship to its wee Japanese fanbase just in time for the holidays. Priced at a very reasonable 19800 yen (20790 yen with tax), my source was eager to mention its 1080p capabilities and Windows XP Media Center Edition compatability. Woo.

For those of you too lazy to type in "19800 japanese yen in US dollars", or your currency of choice, that's about 168 bucks, otherwise known as "cheap". As we all know, pricing in dollars to yen to euros to whatever is not created equal, so speculating other regional prices on current exchange rates doesn't always tell the full pricing strategy story.

We'll see what Microsoft has to say about worldwide release dates and cost at Barcelona, but it seems cheap ass 1080p-ers may have something to shout about. We'll follow up with more details following Microsoft's press event later today.

Can these players be region locked? Because I'll probably import a player if MS tries to pull a greater than $200 price point stunt here in the US just for the principle.

Can these players be region locked? Because I'll probably import a player if MS tries to pull a greater than $200 price point stunt here in the US just for the principle.

I'd guess it'd be $200 in the US if this is correct. By the time you add in shipping + customs (possibly) it probably wouldn't be worth your while importing.

HD DVD's are all region free. Ofcourse for SD playback, I expect it to be locked to the appropriate region.

1080p? The drive outputs through the 360 right? AACS forbids 1080p via analogue.

Or is the 1080p issue related to MCE video streaming?

The news is from Kotaku, they are part of the BS triangle of the Inq and Spong so I don't trust it but the price is as you'd expect.

HD DVD's are all region free.

The first hardware doesn't check for region codes, but last I heard HD-DVD was looking into establishing region coding for the discs under pressure from various groups. So if it's still the case that all the hardware/discs are region-free, it may not remain that way indefinitely. Or have there been developments since?

$250 + $168 = $418

so according to this, $418 buys you a 360, a HD-DVD player,
Ninenty Nine Nights, Project Gotham Racing 3,
plus the means to play Blue dragon and Lost Odyssey, if by any chance these are worthy games.

I find it a lilttle bit difficult to believe.

The first hardware doesn't check for region codes, but last I heard HD-DVD was looking into establishing region coding for the discs under pressure from various groups. So if it's still the case that all the hardware/discs are region-free, it may not remain that way indefinitely. Or have there been developments since?

Its not just that it doesn't check for Region Codes, its that there are no Regions for HD DVD. Yes, there have been some rumblings regarding having them, but I don't see it making any headway. Its a great selling point for owners of the hardware, for movies that appear as Blu-ray exclusives here in the states, if they don't have dist. rights in the uk, then I can buy them on HD DVD from the UK dist.'s (e.g. Studio Canal releases on HD DVD in the UK they happen to own the UK dist rights for some titles that in the states are only on BD-R). Also, reading things at AVS, I thought the only people rumbling about RCs were Japanese Publishers...

BD-R on the other hand has chosen to continue RC.

EDIT: Also, let me repeat, its HD DVD (no Hyphen!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not just that it doesn't check for Region Codes, its that there are no Regions for HD DVD. Yes, there have been some rumblings regarding having them, but I don't see it making any headway. Its a great selling point for owners of the hardware, for movies that appear as BluRay exclusives here in the states, if they don't have dist. rights in the uk, then I can buy them on HD DVD from the UK dist.'s (e.g. Studio Canal releases on HD DVD in the UK they happen to own the UK dist rights for some titles that in the states are only on BD-R). Also, reading things at AVS, I thought the only people rumbling about RCs were Japanese Publishers...

BD-R on the other hand has chosen to continue RC.

EDIT: Also, let me repeat, its HD DVD (no Hyphen!)

Well, then let me return the favour in kind. It's Blu-ray not BluRay ;)

Actually it's supposed to be 'Blu-ray Disc' but hey, nobody cares about the disc part.

Talk is....well.....talk and I'm sure it'll continue for quite some time. Fact is, neither the discs or players have even a hint of region coding on them. Anything can happen, sure, but it's not likely. The HD DVD's studios also have no interest in region coding which would be the incentive to pass it through.

1080p? The drive outputs through the 360 right? AACS forbids 1080p via analogue.

AACS doesn't forbid it by default, but only when the ICT is enabled. Assuming no ICT on a given disk, 1080p should be possible with some component cable that can take 1080i60 and a TV that can IVTC 1080i input from a component source.

AACS doesn't forbid it by default, but only when the ICT is enabled. Assuming no ICT on a given disk, 1080p should be possible with some component cable that can take 1080i60 and a TV that can IVTC 1080i input from a component source.

And if I recall, the studios decided to hold on ICT till 2011, I believe?

Well... if true, it's good news nonetheless.

Typically a company will build "price fence" around regional products so that it's not worthwhile to parallel import (It will likely become more expensive than buying locally). The HD DVD player is USD 199 for US right ? Or is it unconfirmed ?

Back