NEC ships dual-mode chip for HD DVD and Blu-ray disc

pcchen

Veteran
Supporter
NEC has started shipping a DVD driver chip which supports both HD DVD and Blu-ray disc specifications. It's now sampling, and volume production is expected to be started in Q4 2006. By mid-2007, it's expected to produce 30K per month.

This chip, combined with an optics compatible with both HD DVD and Blu-ray, could help making a cheap dual-mode player.

I can only find the press release in Japanese ( http://www.necel.com/news/ja/archive/0610/1001.html ).

From my understanding this is the easy part... there isn't anything stopping anyone from doing it -- non-complex chip fabbing (at least in comparison to something like a CPU/GPU).

An OPU and track (BR/HDDVD require different lens heights) that will work on both BR/HDDVD is going to be the tricky part.

IIRC Ricoh already demoed an optical component for reading and writing all disk formats (Blu-ray Disc, HD DVD, DVD, and CD) back in July. So it's sort of covered too.

IIRC Ricoh already demoed an optical component for reading and writing all disk formats (Blu-ray Disc, HD DVD, DVD, and CD) back in July. So it's sort of covered too.

I imagine it's still going to be the bottleneck by far. Nice to see one demoed though!

Wonder when we'll see the first multiformat players... Mid next year at the earliest?

Back