[360] Forza Motorsport 3

I haven't really been taken in by the out-of-game video, to be honest. I'm hoping that they remove the grass glue, get rid of the switchover between the "under the limit" and "over the limit" tyre models which was jarring, and make the career mode larger and more coherent, and I'll be a very happy bunny.

get rid of the switchover between the "under the limit" and "over the limit" tyre models

Thank god, there are other people who noticed this. Right now it seems Forza 3 has only added one or two parameters, but they involve the tires so who knows they fixed this issue. This bit killed the game for me. Cars lost grip sometimes in such completely unrealistic ways, it was terrible, especially FR cars.

Come on now. This is a forza thread.

With that said, comparisons on the known technical merits of competing games are fine, provided you have a good reason. As is talk about the arrogance of the management is OK too if you are careful.

---------------------------------------------------

Public service reminder:

Good:
Game X has ZOMG! But similar competing Game Y only does OMG. One is better but it needs an extra character and not as efficient, so both overall are balanced.

Not:
Game X has ZOMG! But similar competing Game Y is crappy. Lol.

Come on now. This is a forza thread.

With that said, comparisons on the known technical merits of competing games are fine, provided you have a good reason. As is talk about the arrogance of the management is OK too if you are careful.

Stating lies as facts is also OK?

As long as you prune the flame baiter I have no problem with this.

Thanks for deleting my post but not the trolling one , well done ...

I wasn't finished yet. And yes, I had deleted his post before I saw your post.

Josh should have known better. While his point was valid to an extent, it wasn't well presented. Generalizations about a platform's fanbase, etc.
You, however, started with a personal insult and then moved on to taking a dubious claim and turning it into blatant flame bait.

Stating lies as facts is also OK?

As long as you prune the flame baiter I have no problem with this.

Feel free to use the report post button:
report.gif
. We can generally respond to these much faster, as we can't be monitoring threads 100% of the time.

I've got 2 X360's, and I've been considering getting 3 monitors for triplehead PC gaming, so with one more X360 and 3 copies of Forza 3, I should expect something fantastic, right? Well, the framerate of the E3 demo seemed to be cut in half from the single-screen gameplay. I would hope the final game could achieve 60fps in triple-screen mode, considering how much money would have to be spent to run it that way.

Forza 3's not taking the lead for racing graphics in my eyes, but I remember thinking that the graphics engine would be great for use in a new Ridge Racer game. I didn't think nearly as highly of Forza 2 with it's poor implementation of environment mapping on the cars, and psychedelic color blending and lighting.

I haven't really been taken in by the out-of-game video, to be honest. I'm hoping that they remove the grass glue, get rid of the switchover between the "under the limit" and "over the limit" tyre models which was jarring, and make the career mode larger and more coherent, and I'll be a very happy bunny.

There was a benefit (and I think it was intentionally implemented this way once it was determined that they weren't going to accurately model non-track surfaces) to this in that it prevented people from cutting the corner short by taking a detour through the infield. If they do attempt to create more accurate off-track surfaces they will also need to come up with a way to prevent it from being exploited, otherwise it would actually hurt gameplay more than help IMO.

I've got 2 X360's, and I've been considering getting 3 monitors for triplehead PC gaming, so with one more X360 and 3 copies of Forza 3, I should expect something fantastic, right? Well, the framerate of the E3 demo seemed to be cut in half from the single-screen gameplay. I would hope the final game could achieve 60fps in triple-screen mode, considering how much money would have to be spent to run it that way.

Forza 3's not taking the lead for racing graphics in my eyes, but I remember thinking that the graphics engine would be great for use in a new Ridge Racer game. I didn't think nearly as highly of Forza 2 with it's poor implementation of environment mapping on the cars, and psychedelic color blending and lighting.

I'm tend not to prefer cockpit view when racing, but the three-screen setup + cockpit view sure looks impressive!

BTW the cockpit view seems to be running @ 30fps right now even in single screen. Perhaps this is why the E3 demo you saw was running @ 30 with triple-screen??

I'm tend not to prefer cockpit view when racing, but the three-screen setup + cockpit view sure looks impressive!

BTW the cockpit view seems to be running @ 30fps right now even in single screen. Perhaps this is why the E3 demo you saw was running @ 30 with triple-screen??
With a wider FOV, the lower framerate is even more noticeable. I couldn't tell if it was 30fps or less in the 3-screen setup. It might not be so dramatic from the driver's seat, with all that stuff in your peripheral vision, but as a spectator, it was like looking at Forza 1 on my 57" RPCRT all over again.

When the game drops, the bullshit stops! Can't wait to see how the screenshots will compare to the replay mode and in game in Oct.

For now there's a offscreen vid: http://www.operationsports.com/videoview.php?id=404 The enviornments and draw distance is just outright impressive.

At the very least, the new lighting engine has dealt a heavy blow to the ebil high frequency specular aliasing that was prevalent in FM2. :cool: Texture filtering is quite a bit better too.

There was a benefit (and I think it was intentionally implemented this way once it was determined that they weren't going to accurately model non-track surfaces) to this in that it prevented people from cutting the corner short by taking a detour through the infield. If they do attempt to create more accurate off-track surfaces they will also need to come up with a way to prevent it from being exploited, otherwise it would actually hurt gameplay more than help IMO.

I hate the grass glue as well (not to mention the tire model, but that's a different story all together).

I think a good method for "cutting corners" wouldn't be to make players "slower" on that particular surface, rather, hit them with a time penalty at the end of the race, or limit their speed for a set period of time (i.e. if you cut corners your speed is reduced to 30mph for 3 seconds). They can implement this penalty system on corners that are known to be "shortcuts" and still leave the proper surface models in tact. It's just irritating to lose control in a race and get stuck on the grass for extended periods of time in an area that clearly would give no benefit to someone going off track.

They can implement this penalty system on corners that are known to be "shortcuts" and still leave the proper surface models in tact. It's just irritating to lose control in a race and get stuck on the grass for extended periods of time in an area that clearly would give no benefit to someone going off track.
NFS: Shift seems to work that way. I was penalized for cutting some corners, but not for spinning out in others.

Will Donkey Kong be in this game, and can you throw banana peels?

Pick a high HP race car and you can use the livery editor to make a donkey kong car. Turn off the aids, take the Aero body work off and you'll pretty much be racing on a track of banana peels.

Some comparison pics:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16188591&postcount=1067

I'd post the pics but I'm too lazy to resize.

I couldn't help watching this thinking it would be cool if the game could detect you looking to the side so that you could look into a corner slightly before and as you were turning into it. Likewise with looking the other way slightly when coming out of the corner.

That's always been the most disconcerting thing to me with a PC/Console racer in cockpit view (the view I prefer) is that unlike real driving, you can't look into the corner.

This would be the perfect opportunity I think for a system like Natal to greatly enhance a "hardcore" racer as an enhancement rather than a control system.

It would please me to no end to being able to look into a corner as I approach it and keep looking into a corner as I was going through it while in cockpit view.

Granted a feature like that would be useless in chase cam view.

Regards,
SB

I still think GT5 looks better, looks to me like they have more realistic colors. FM3 still looks very very well thought.

In terms of photorealism these racing games are starting to look closer and closer. Next gen games will be mindblowingly real

Last edited by a moderator:
Back