3 year warranty for all X360s.

I think the ring o' death basically tells you MS knew about all these problems before it started shipping them.

I have had 4 xbox360s since they have been released and sold them on (luckily), and all 4 of them have since broke. One lasted a year, one lasted less than a week.

Having already read the series of replies to this I know I'm a little late to the party but....

PC motherboard manufacturers have been putting hardware failure and configuration diagnostic tools (via LEDs on the board andPC speaker beeps) onto their products for years to aid consumers and their tech support in identifying root cause for hardware issues/failures. I dont see how using the external LEDs around the 360 power button with flashing sequences or alternate colors (i.e. red) is any indication of prior knowledge of the RRoD by MS. Quite frankly, they'd deserve to be slapped harder for not having the tools in place to troubleshoot such issues with customers on the phone.

There is a whole host of codes in those flashing lights. First time I plugged mine in after getting to Canada I had a shock, thinking that it hadn't survived the flight (paying for "fragile" handling, my arse, the thing looked beaten to death when it popped out!), as it came up with a number of flashing red lights on the ring. After a few minutes I figured out it was just trying to tell me that I hadn't yet plugged in the AV cable and it thought that I really should.

There is a whole host of codes in those flashing lights. First time I plugged mine in after getting to Canada I had a shock, thinking that it hadn't survived the flight (paying for "fragile" handling, my arse, the thing looked beaten to death when it popped out!), as it came up with a number of flashing red lights on the ring. After a few minutes I figured out it was just trying to tell me that I hadn't yet plugged in the AV cable and it thought that I really should.

I had a scare myself. When I first turned on my unit for the first time on Christmas morning last year it came up with red lights and displayed an error. I about got sick. Looked online for the error to see what it meant and found out that I should just disconnect the hard drive and then reconnect it back. It came on that time, but boy was I scared. LOL

BTW, SubtleSnake, nice find. Surprised there has been no commentary on that by now. It's all Greek to me, but I figured some here would know if what it meant and if it was legit.

Tommy McClain

Anybody remember GhaleonEB, GAF's most prominent viral marketer for Halo (he's an MVP proper)?
And anybody remember that three-year warranty?
There exists something that you should read.
GhaleonEB said:
When did you buy your console?

April of last year.

Okay, your console is out of warranty, it will be $99.99 to repair it.

No, you extened the warranty for the flashing red lights to three years. The lights that I have.

Oh! You're right we did. But it might not be that.

How the hell not? They're flashing right now.

Well, it might be the power supply.

The light on the power supply is green.

It's green? Okay, then it's the flashing red lights.

I'm glad we agree. *gives console information, orders coffin*

Them: But if we get it and it's NOT the flashing red lights, we charge to $99.99.

But it is the flashing red lights.

But we may disagree.
So much for "they have fixed the problem". Not only do the consoles continue to break right now, left, right and center, but customers are still screwed out of even more money for the inevitable repair of their faulty product.
Also think about the above whenever you read about the D&E division's plans for profitability in FY '08.

Anybody remember GhaleonEB, GAF's most prominent viral marketer for Halo (he's an MVP proper)?
So much for "they have fixed the problem". Not only do the consoles continue to break right now, left, right and center, but customers are still screwed out of even more money for the inevitable repair of their faulty product.
Also think about the above whenever you read about the D&E division's plans for profitability in FY '08.

Wow, Rolf, stunning revalation, people at call centres are idiots...jeez I never realized that!

A friend of mine recently sent his in, it had been getting ROD for the last 6 months but he couldn't really afford to get it fixed. After hearing about the warrantee, he called them up and they sent out the box no hassles.

So much for anecdotal evidence.

A friend of mine recently sent his in, it had been getting ROD for the last 6 months but he couldn't really afford to get it fixed. After hearing about the warrantee, he called them up and they sent out the box no hassles.

So much for anecdotal evidence.

I just submitted my RMA online, didn't have to talk to anyone, have a coffin being shipped to me right now.

The consoles manufactured before the problem was fixed (if it has been fixed) will continue to break. I don't see what's surprising about that.

And one call centre representative claiming that a hardware fault might not be 'the three red rings' error, is hardly evidence that consoles sent in with such an error are wilfully 'misdiagnosed'.

The consoles manufactured before the problem was fixed (if it has been fixed) will continue to break. I don't see what's surprising about that.

And one call centre representative claiming that a hardware fault might not be 'the three red rings' error, is hardly evidence that consoles sent in with such an error are wilfully 'misdiagnosed'.

Kind of like judging the mass for one persons actions/experience... totally worthless.

I cant believe people actually take that kind of shit.

Everytime i call tech support for anything im so glad that i went to lawschool along with my finance studies, first thing i do when i hear that the person on the other side is starting to play like that is that i ask for the manager. If hes not avaliable, i start pointing out laws that basically proves im right (they don't allways prove that, but since nobody understands law, [but they are usually very impressed by it], they usually yield. )

Last edited by a moderator:
3 Year Warranty. Do you have to pay???

I bought my Xbox 360 2 days ago and was told i had 1 year warranty but had to pay £60 for an extra two years. is this because i have reacieved a console built a while ago or does the new 3 year warranty only cover the red ring of death.?
PLEASE HELP???

cheers

The 3 year warranty just applies to the 'three red rings of death', which represent "hardware failure", so most faults should be covered. You'll still need pay out if your DVD drive fails, though.

If you get a non RRoD fault, how hard would it be to induce one and get the machine replaced under the 3 year warranty? Do the towel manoeuvre to deliberately sabotage the machine, perhaps?

Back