21 million DS sold

Rockster said:
Out of curiosity, what is the number of PSP units sold to date?

Last official that I know of was 17 million, probably a little more now, as that was March.

Rockster said:
Out of curiosity, what is the number of PSP units sold to date?

LINK Those are shippped numbers and keep in mind that Sony's shipped number are shipped out production in constrast to Nintendo's sold to retailers numbers.

fearsomepirate said:
But now the industry's heavy hitters are saying "Hey, there are 21 million of these things in people's hands, and the games are continually selling in the top 10! We can't afford to ignore this thing."
ok, but then again:
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=767598#post767598
If it wasn't for the "non-game" craze (mostly in japan), the hw revision, the headstart there would be no such ds domination.
http://www.vgcharts.org/worldtotals.php?name=&console=DS&publisher=&sort=Total
Looking at the two links I provided it seems like Nintendo is about to squash the 3rd parties again so those seem to move steadily towards the sony product (as in the console market). Variety of (good) software creates sales so if the price points are on par eventually, the psp could sell as well as the ds (not sure about japan though). In future the DS will still outsell the psp, but not by such a big margin imho.

Magnum PI said:
why limit to gamespot ?

If you read my post and looked at the link, you would see that gamerankings was down at the time, and I did add in IGN on the second worksheet on that page.

gamerakings collect ratings from a lot of reviews, and the figures you'll find here can only be more accurate..

I would like to add though that more numbers aren't always more accurate per se - the more reviews you add, the more likely you'll add reviews from sites of questionable quality. ;) But as said, I wanted to see if I could add gamerankings data also, but the site was simply down at the time.

3 DS games above 90 % avg

0 PSP game above 90 % avg

Even here it is still worth noting that for the 10 best games, we are talking about a 2.2% average difference between the PSP and the DS. So 'much more quality games' still really doesn't quite apply yet.

I think if anything, it is a combination of the DS being the compatible inheritor of the GBA's success, and not so much the quality of the games, as the originality of the games (think Brain Training, Nintendogs, etc.) which makes the DS such a success, especially in terms of software units sold.

And Guden Oden, I think that the discussion we are having right now is a little bit more mature than you are presenting it now, and furthermore, in a topic on the DS having sold 21 million, even a relevant discussion too.

ElStupido said:
ok, but then again:
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=767598#post767598
If it wasn't for the "non-game" craze (mostly in japan), the hw revision, the headstart there would be no such ds domination.

And if my aunt had balls, we would call her my uncle. :)

http://www.vgcharts.org/worldtotals.php?name=&console=DS&publisher=&sort=Total
Looking at the two links I provided it seems like Nintendo is about to squash the 3rd parties again so those seem to move steadily towards the sony product (as in the console market). Variety of (good) software creates sales so if the price points are on par eventually, the psp could sell as well as the ds (not sure about japan though). In future the DS will still outsell the psp, but not by such a big margin imho.

A game doesn't have to sell more than 1 million copies to be a success, especially on a console where development costs are quite low.

The "3rd party do bad on DS" nonsense is an example of "Internet common sense" that really should disappear... There are several good-selling 3rd party DS games, like Children of Mana (300K), DBZ2 (a bit under 300K), Tamagotchi (over 1 million), Slime Dragon Quest (over 300K). It's true that Nintendo games sell even more, but that doesn't mean "3rd party sell crap on DS".

Most 3rd party games on the PSP die of an horrible death too. Apart from Monster Hunter, Capcom games on the PSP all tanked badly. Megaman on DS (ZX) already sold more in Japan than both Megaman on PSP (Maverick Hunter and Powered Up), and it was released 2 weeks ago. On the PSP, Sega's most successful games are (surprise) the Brain Training clones. You also have to take into account that development costs on PSP are much, much higher than on DS.

An interesting analysis on the repartition of 3rd party sales in Japan :
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3052284&postcount=106

Game rating mean nothing. And from one specific site means even less than nothing.

The reason people are buying the DS is that it offers a new gaming experience, and the games are very good for their portable nature. The DS is truly setup to allow you to pick it up for 5 minutes and get some joy out of it, something rather hard with the PSP.

I actually think both the DS and the PSP have done well, both better than I expect. And really they have come into their own markets of sorts, and proven that there are a wide range of users forming. In fact, this sort of market seperation is exactly what Nintendo is banking on with the Wii.

Arwin said:
Even here it is still worth noting that for the 10 best games, we are talking about a 2.2% average difference between the PSP and the DS. So 'much more quality games' still really doesn't quite apply yet.

I think it's safe to agree that we have established that both handhelds have quality libraries, with the DS having an edge for original/fun content and the PSP having an edge for more console-centric software (longer titles with deeper gameplay). There are of course exceptions, like Loco Roco on PSP and the upcoming FF3 on DS.

I think if anything, it is a combination of the DS being the compatible inheritor of the GBA's success, and not so much the quality of the games, as the originality of the games (think Brain Training, Nintendogs, etc.) which makes the DS such a success, especially in terms of software units sold.

Actually, for their specific genres, both BT and Nintendogs are extremely solid titles (controls in both titles are amazing, for example). As for the DS being the unofficial heir to the GBA, I think that helped start up sales at first (when the DS launch and early post-launch library was very weak), but now the DS sells mostly on its own merits and its own software.

Listed below are the top 100 selling games in Japan taken from the site:http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=6641

1- DS Brain Training 2 - 2,575,265
2- PS2 Final Fantasy XII - 2,296,003
3- DS New Super Mario Bros. - 1,797,012
4- DS Animal Crossing: WW - 1,756,860
5- DS Brain Training 1 - 1,399,993
6- DS English Training - 1.044.691
7- PS2 Winning Eleven 10 - 910,078
8- DS Mario Kart DS - 737,075
9- DS Tetris DS - 647,724
10- PS2 Monster Hunter 2 - 567,492
11- PS2 Sengoku Musou 2 - 559,972
12- DS Pokemon Ranger - 545,097
13- PS2 Dirge of Cerberus - 507,998
14- PSP Monster Hunter Portable - 416,285
15- DS Mario & Luigi RPG 2 - 393,775
16- DS Yawaraka Atama Juku - 390,287
17- PS2 Kingdom Hearts II - 389,039
18- GBA Mother 3 - 338,382
19- Tamagotchi Corner Shop - 329,660
20- PS2 Shin Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams - 325,872
21- DS Nintendogs 319,435
22- PS2 Valkyrie Profile 2 - 302,867
23- PS2 Dragon Quest: Yangus - 293,601
24- DS Children of Mana - 260,377
25- DS Daredemo Asobi Taisen - 241,088
26- PS2 Let's make a Pro Soccer Club: Europe Championship - 240,977
27- PS2 Gundam: Climax U.C. - 240,846
28- DS Pokemon Fushigi Dungeon Blue - 210,433
29- PS2 Front Mission 5 - 203,060
30- PS2 Ace Combat Zero - 197,713
31- PS2 Powerful Major League - 193,461
32- PS2 Suikoden 5 - 192,297
33- GBA Pokemon Fushigi Dungeon Red - 184,197
34- PS2 Another Century's Episode 2 - 179,446
35- GC Super Mario Strikers - 172,718
36- GBA Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros. - 160,481
37- GBA Rockman XZ 6 158,176
38- PS2 Pro Baseball Spirits 152,253
39- PSP Valkyrie Profile 1 - 151,788
40- PS2 Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories - 149,148
41- PS2 Naruto: Narutimetto Hero 3 - 147,875
42- PS2 Okami 143,377
43- PS2 World Soccer: Winning Eleven 9 Bonus Pack - 138,512
44- DS Densetsu no Stafi 4 - 137,072
45- PSP Powerful Pro Baseball Portable - 134,032
46- PS2 Sengoku Musou 4 Empires - 129,324
47- PS2 Evangelion Pachi-Slot - 128,514
48- PS2 Pro Baseball Hot Star 2006 - 126,710
49- PSP DragonBall Z - 123,903
50- PS2 .hack//G.U. Vol. 1 - 123,903
51- DS Sawaru Made in Wario: 117,724
52- PS2 Tales of the Abyss - 116,240
53- GC Mario Party 7 - 114,848
54- DS Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest 2 - 114,450
55- PS2 Tourist Trophy - 113,775
56- PS2 Ryuu ga Gotoku - 112,673
57- PSP Brain Training PSP - 111,322
58- PSP Talkman - 110,313
59- DS Super Mario 64 DS - 110,148
60- DS Eye-Shield 21 Max DevilPower - 109,909
61- PS2 Pachi-Slot Simulator - 108,201
62- PSP Initial D: Street Stage - 102,775
63- DS Dragonball Z - 101,746
64- PS2 Final Fantasy XI: Treasures of Aht Urhgan - 101,429
65- PS2 Momotarou Dentetsu 15 - 100,856
66- DS Machigai Museum - 95,122
67- PS2 Ar-Toneliko: Sekai no Owari de Shi Tsudzukeru Shoujo - 93,578
68- DS Bleach DS - 93,183
69- DS Naruto 4 - 92,988
70- GBA Pokemon Emerald - 91,578
71- PS2 Devil Summoner - 90,283
72- XBOX360 Dead or Alive 4 - 89,643
73- DS Mushi King: Greatest Champion - 89,313
74- PS2 Nobunaga no Yabou: Kakushin - 88,946
75- PSP Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable - 88,925
76- PSP Super Robot Taisen MX Portable - 87,342
77- PS2 Kingdom Hearts Final Mix (Ultimate Hits) - 85,625
78- PSP Kazuo - 85474
79- PS2 Siren 2 - 85,457
80- GBA Final Fantasy 4 Advance - 84,868
81- PSP Minna no Golf Portable (PSP the Best) - 83,450
82- PS2 Guity Gear XX Slash - 82,897
83- PS2 Biohazard 4 - 80,876
84- DS Jump Super Stars - 79,808
85- DS Pokemon Toroze - 78,400
86- DS Puzzle Series Vol.3 Sudoku - 77,990
87- GBA Mother 1 & 2 (Value Selection) - 77,976
88- GC Naruto 4 - 74,658
89- DS Kanji no sono mama Dictionary - 73,569
90- Jissen Pachi-Slot Hisshouhou! Ore no Sora - 73,430
91- PS2 Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition - 69,935
92- PS2 Kingdom Hearts (Ultimate Hits) - 67,468
93- DS Power Pro Kun Pocket 8 - 66,667
94- PS2 Gunparade Orchestra - 66,244
95- DS Harvest Moon DS for Girls - 65,745
96- GBA Duel Monsters EX 2006 - 65,138
97- PS2 Bleach: Hanatareshi Yabou - 63,828
98- PS2 Minna no Golf 4 (The Best) - 63,824
99- DS Digimonstory - 63,815
100- PS2 Metal Gear Solid: Subsistence - 60,002

And as I analyzed the list, I notice Japanese seem to favor ex. gb games and the brain training. There are plenty of games ranging from Ps2, gba, ds, gba, to psp that did do well in terms of sells. TBA, it's proves what i thought all along...regardless of what any of you say this seems to be a temporary trend that will dissolve when home consoles hit...well those brain-age games. Well, we'll see.

Exit: I also wanted to note the price for the games makes a big difference i believe. Had PSP's software been cheaper, they would have sold better. I guess just like America fifty dollars just doesn't justify for a handheld game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ex GBA games?, not really sure what your getting at to be honest.

Also to be clear those are the top 100 sales in the first six months of 2006.

Corwin_B said:
I think it's safe to agree that we have established that both handhelds have quality libraries, with the DS having an edge for original/fun content and the PSP having an edge for more console-centric software (longer titles with deeper gameplay). There are of course exceptions, like Loco Roco on PSP and the upcoming FF3 on DS.

Well said and I agree wholeheartedly with this post. I know I shouldn't make one line posts, but there's just really nothing to add, and there isn't a public version of giving rep for a specific post either. ;)

The ds has performed much better than I would of thought. The scary thing is the big guns have yet to come out in the new pokemon games + FF3 remake.

I think in the future 3rd party sales of DS games will get better. I am sure the DS success has caught most of them off guard. I am sure most 3rd parties just put together a half ass dev team to put together games for not much money. Now that the DS is selling so damn well I am sure the DS teams are getting much better talent and size like nintendo has done.

Skrying said:
Game rating mean nothing. And from one specific site means even less than nothing.

The reason people are buying the DS is that it offers a new gaming experience, and the games are very good for their portable nature. The DS is truly setup to allow you to pick it up for 5 minutes and get some joy out of it, something rather hard with the PSP.

I actually think both the DS and the PSP have done well, both better than I expect. And really they have come into their own markets of sorts, and proven that there are a wide range of users forming. In fact, this sort of market seperation is exactly what Nintendo is banking on with the Wii.
THANK YOU!

*kisses hand*

The reason summed up terrifically why I'm falling in line with the Wii60 crowd. You get the fun things that you can't find elsewhere, and the fuller richer experiences of the 360 or PS3. Now don't get me wrong, you will get full experiences on Wii, but the technical gulf will make somethings only possible on the other two. They are perfect complements of each other.

Each handheld is in the same position. One has the techincal prowess of a mini PS2, and the other doesn't, the DS though does have another way playing games, giving birth to concepts on handhelds that wouldn't have been possible with just more power. (Nintendogs, Trauma Center, both very possible on PSP prettier, but wouldn't play anywhere near the same).

There's room in the marketplace for both, as the American market is proving with DS and PSP sales being so close to one another. The DS became a cultural phenom in Japan, but it's not like PSP sales are terrible, just below the godlike DS. The PSP still outsells the PS2 weekly.

Sony's only problem in the console market is I can't afford it, and that's an unpardonable sin.

Sony's only problem in the console market is I can't afford it, and that's an unpardonable sin.

Do you mean to say that you bought the PS2 on release date? Most people didn't, you see. But it still went on to sell 100.000.000 in six years, even in Europe where it was actually the same price PS3 is now, at launch.

Other than that though I mostly agree. Nintendo does offer some nice original games that make good use of the DS' features, and Nintendo manages to create some great games, as it to be expected.

But I do take exception to the comment that PSP games aren't suitable for 5 minutes of play. That's really just nonsense. There are plenty of games that have barely noticeable or very short load times, like Loco Roco, Tekken, Daxter, Burnout Legends, etc., and even for those earlier games that do have longer load times you still have a perfectly functioning sleep button.

As for the Wii, I'm going to remain firmly in the wait and see camp. I personally think that the PS3 will give me everything I need, but I really can't say yet at this point. I haven't seen *anything* yet on the Wii that appeals to me to be honest. It's a matter of taste, and I realise I am probably in the minority (after all, the DS is popular too, but I don't like anything on that either, except maybe Brain Training)

Again, though, that doesn't stop me from recognising that the DS is a great success and offers some great innovations.

Well I bought a DS Lite for myself yesterday, and three games. Funny thing is, I went to two stores first. They were sold out. Finally the third store had some. And while I was waiting in line, 3 DS Lite's were purchased right in front of me.

I was swearing under my breath hoping that they'd have one for me. :LOL:

It's a lot of fun to be sure, and my husband has already asked if I would pick up Brain Age. Already trying to steal it from me. Guess I'll have to get one for him too.

Arwin said:
Do you mean to say that you bought the PS2 on release date? Most people didn't, you see. But it still went on to sell 100.000.000 in six years, even in Europe where it was actually the same price PS3 is now, at launch.

Of course you're right that most people didn't buy a PS2 at its initial $300 launch price. It really started selling big as its price dropped nearer mass market levels ($200 and below). But PS3 is launching at $500 ($600 for the Premium system), it may be a few years before it even drops enough to match PS2's launch price never mind near the kind of price the mass market accepts. So its really not the same situation IMO.

Europe is different, they tend to accept higher prices then the US, but this time around PS3 will be £450 in Europe ($860), PS2 was £299 ($570).

I honestly think that Sony need to more then half PS3's price within the first two years to stand any chance of success.

Well it's official. My husband just took my DS Lite from me so he can play it. Sigh. Time to buy him one. :)

Natoma said:
Well it's official. My husband just took my DS Lite from me so he can play it. Sigh. Time to buy him one. :)

Ah, I've discovered the secret to Nintendo's success. Apparently there're only 10.5 million sold. The rest were just to keep the partners quiet. :p

Back