1up claims Kojima says MGS4 demo could be done on 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
ihamoitc2005 said:
CPU: CELL has maximum of 9 usable hardware threads (2 PPE, 7 SPE) with 256k "cache"/thread but Xenon has only 4 with 256k cache/thread. Use of additional available hardware threads or blocked cache method on Xenon for streaming compressed data for GPU = even less usable cache for sharing by remaining threads and higher instability and perhaps lower overall performance.
Don't agree with that. XeCPU has 1 MB cache. If one core is doing procedural processing say, it could lock out a portion of cache for streaming data. It only needs a little buffer space so can get by with say 32 kb. That leaves 984 KB between two cores. There's nothing saying the partitioning of cache has to be uniform.

Nesh said:
I d like to see an official link where NVIDIA states that RSX is merely un upgraded version of G70

not say its an upgrade, but it is officially stated that the RSX is faster that the 7800GTX

There's no doubting that NVIDIA's new 7800GTX is the ultimate in PC graphics technology. The card's G70 GPU, which is more than twice as powerful as two of NVIDIA's previous top-of-the-line 6800 boards, shares a lot of similar workings with the PS3's RSX chip - only it isn't as fast. Oh, and it retails for $599.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/9132/PlayStation-3-GPU-More-Powerful-than-GeForce-7800/

mckmas8808 said:
Yeah here is the pic of what you were talking about.

[image removed]
This is very very cool. It's exactly something like this that would make something really next-gen while also making a nice synergy between several products in Sony's product portfolio. Being able to use the PSP as a wireless controller would be awesome, especially if the PSP's screen could be made useful. Something like showing your inventory, status, or objectives comes to mind.

Doesn't Nintendo already have something like this?

wireframe said:
This is very very cool. It's exactly something like this that would make something really next-gen while also making a nice synergy between several products in Sony's product portfolio. Being able to use the PSP as a wireless controller would be awesome, especially if the PSP's screen could be made useful. Something like showing your inventory, status, or objectives comes to mind.

Doesn't Nintendo already have something like this?

I think so, but I'm not sure. But if they do the PSP will be able to do so much more than what Nintendo can do present day. Sony's 1st party devs need to be thinking about using the PSP in-game with PS3 games.

Jov said:
not say its an upgrade, but it is officially stated that the RSX is faster that the 7800GTX

Which we already knew. Faster probably refers to clockspeed, which we've always known will be 550Mhz

scooby_dooby said:
Which we already knew. Faster probably refers to clockspeed, which we've always known will be 550Mhz

The 512MB GTX at 550MHz is still pretty much on par with the 512MB X1800XT which doesn't even have the EDRAM and unified shaders. So this makes the PS3 so much better than the XBOX360.. just.. how?

The GTX also has a 256bit bus which the RSX won't have, I think you missed my point, that "faster" does not necessarily mean more powerful.

mckmas8808 said:
I think so, but I'm not sure. But if they do the PSP will be able to do so much more than what Nintendo can do present day. Sony's 1st party devs need to be thinking about using the PSP in-game with PS3 games.

IIRC, wireless interaction between the Revolution and the DS was heavily hinted at by Nintendo, which should be interesting too.

Jov said:

Which could mean anything besides just an upgrade right?

scooby_dooby said:

Read the link and make up your own mind. Personally, if its only faster and not processing graphics faster I don't think nVdia will bother to correct the mistake.

Nesh said:
Which could mean anything besides just an upgrade right?

Yep, it can meaning anything. We dont know if the RSX is an upgrade or branch off with more features.

We'll see when the details come.

scooby_dooby said:
The GTX also has a 256bit bus which the RSX won't have, I think you missed my point, that "faster" does not necessarily mean more powerful.

Well, as a consumer when someone says "faster" I think framerates, not clockspeeds, so "faster" is a bit misleading..

Anyway. The whole 7800GTX comparison thing is rather pointless, I still think the RSX will not be more powerful or technologically advanced than the Xenos in any way.

Hideo Kojima: "really no differences [between Xbox 360, PC & PS3]"

http://www.xbox365.com/news.cgi?id=GGPriPLuLd12160521

In an interview with 1up.com, Hideo Kojima (the creator of the popular Metal Gear Solid series) mentioned that it was technically possible for Metal Gear Solid 4 to run on Xbox 360 hardware. He also stated that they chose the Playstation 3 hardware to run the MGS4 trailer was merely because it was 'newer' and they wanted to try it out first. Kojima also said that there weren't any real differences between PS3, PC and Xbox 360.

As for the Nintendo Revolution, he called it totally different.

will MSG4 be ps3 exclusif or be exclusif for a given time?
It's a bad new for sony PR, the guy clearly state that the most impressive ps3 demo(so far) can be done on XBOX360.
We start to feel MS $ in the war for first party game.

MGS4 trailer was just an initial build, the final game is a different thing. Is he talking about trailer or Final game?

I think you're all missing the point. Both machines are handicapped in visuals by the 512mg of system memory. The ps3 maybe more powerful but will never be able to render anything the x360 can't for this very reason. Expect 3rd party ports to be nearly identical.

also: I wouldn't hold my breath for any mindblowing, photo-realistic textured games running at 1900x1080 at 60fps on the ps3 with 512mg ram.

Deepak said:
MGS4 trailer was just an initial build, the final game is a different thing. Is he talking about trailer or Final game?

he says that there's no real difference between pc, ps3 and x360, he's talking in general way of the 3 machines
and says that revolution is instead very different machine, so you can interpreter as good notice for revo or as terrible notice for revo..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back