1up claims Kojima says MGS4 demo could be done on 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone ever doubt that it could be done on X360? Of course it could be done, it's not like that demo is pushing the PS3 to its limits, and it wouldn't push the X360 much.

Are you kidding?

Most of the demo isn't that impressive, but the beginning FPS part rivals Killzone imo.

That part and Killzone are pretty WHY the PS3 has it's reputation.

the start of the video from what i can remember just has really good texturing . there aren't alot of effects done . Then when they zoom in the backrounds are very bland and can actually be 2d textures .

The rest of the video has very bland backroudns .

Its really just the character models that have really high polygon counts and normal maps . Oh and the metal gear thing looks pretty cool

What really brings the video together is the animation and i highly doubt it will be that high quality . Not for nothing but the video is scripted and a game wont be

mgs4 could be done on 360 By Kojima team no doubt.Not every developper would be able to produce that 1080p 60 fps demo still.
More a question of developer than hardware ,(as usual most of the time)

I don't think technically the MGS4 demo did anything that would've been "PS3 only".
The models, textures, animation, particles... all should be perfectly replicapable on xbox360 hardware.
That's just the demo though, all precapped animations and physics.
It remains to be seen how crazy physics and effects with animation and framerate as good the final game would have, and would that be achievable on xbox360.
The impressiveness of MGS4 demo was a combination of art, direction and technology, not just technology.
Like, I doubt the GOW team could achieve something of same artistic and cinematic (sorry for the word ;) ) level.

How good the final game will be is most likely limited more so by release date then technical specs .

To have a game with art standards that high (higher than gow i believe) they are going to need weeks per character .

MGS4 is proof that it's the developers that count. Not the hardware.

I don't think there is anything on that demo that could be done on PS3 and not X360 and vice versa.

The things that were done very well on the demo were all developer-based, it showed their attention to detail and their skills in translating that attention to detail into a realtime application. NOT some sort of hardware superiority, which, even IF is there, it wouldn't be exploited in a pre-release demo. Any kind of hardware superiority that might be there from both sides will be exploited well into the consoles' life, i'd give it at least 2 years.

london-boy said:
Did anyone ever doubt that it could be done on X360? Of course it could be done, it's not like that demo is pushing the PS3 to its limits, and it wouldn't push the X360 much.

Exactly nothing we have seen so far couldn't be done on both consoles.

It maybe could do a demo that was made in 2 months, but the finsihed product, i dout it...i think it would be extrmemly difficult to get 360's CPU to run all the physics and ai code that cell would do.

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
It maybe could do a demo that was made in 2 months, but the finsihed product, i dout it...i think it would be extrmemly difficult to get 360's CPU to run all the physics and ai code that cell would do.

And we all already know how much physics and AI code MGS4 is going to use...

We have seen nothing regarding MGS4 gameplay. It is amazing what a trailer for a game at least a year away can do. People already think it the greatest thing ever and no one knows a damn thing about it other than a pretty render.

*Back on topic: I see no reason why the X360 couldnt run that demo with the exact fidelity of the E3 showing. I mean it wasnt that great.

Not every developper would be able to produce that 1080p 60 fps demo still.

Funny how people perceive that 720p/30fps(*) HD trailer as 1080p/60fps.
My 5 cents: the whole thing can be done on an almost-highend pc (like, around 3ghz p4 and a 6800 ultra), and i personally think they did exactly that, and then recompiled the stuff for the ps3 predevkit. It would make perfect sense as they're not that far off from each other, especially for a rolling demo like this. (and yes, it's beautiful :) )

*: i still believe that the whole thing is rendered at a lower resolution with aa, and upscaled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back