157mpg

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
http://www.i4u.com/article5165.html
loremo_car_future.jpg

German Loremo AG will introduce their ultra Efficient Car at the Motor Show 2006 (site) in Geneva next week.

The car start-up developed a light-weight passenger car with outstanding aerodynamics. The Loremo LS is powered by a 2 cylinder Turbo Diesel engine with 20 hp and 160km/h top speed. The amazing thing is that the Loremo only needs 1.5l per 100km. This is approx. 157MPG!

I'll believe it when i see it.
And who wants a 20HP car?
If you think old beetles are slow...

epicstruggle said:
Needs a bit more information, go to http://www.loremo.com/ and select the english page on the bottom. Apparantly, there are two versions of the car, a ls version and a gt version. The gt version has 30 more horsepower and can go from 0-100 km/h in 9 seconds compared to the ls version's 19 seconds. However, the gt version has a range of about 800 kilometer compared to the ls version's 1,300 kilometer range. Oh, and in case your wondering if the cars use some kind of supertechnology, the ls is about 11,000 euro and the gt is about 15,000 euro.
:

nintenho said:
Needs a bit more information, go to http://www.loremo.com/ and select the english page on the bottom. Apparantly, there are two versions of the car, a ls version and a gt version. The gt version has 30 more horsepower and can go from 0-100 km/h in 9 seconds compared to the ls version's 19 seconds. However, the gt version has a range of about 800 kilometer compared to the ls version's 1,300 kilometer range. Oh, and in case your wondering if the cars use some kind of supertechnology, the ls is about 11,000 euro and the gt is about 15,000 euro.
:
the ls model is quite enough for many in the third world. and the gt for the rest of us. Im glad some in the auto industry are pushing the boundary in MPG race.

epic

I have hard time to believe the top speed figures, eventhough the car is very light and has very little drag, I dunno but with 20hp you are supposed to get 160kmh and with 50, 220kmh...
Motorcycles need lot's more power to achieve those numbers and bikes are over 50% lighter, so to me those figures sound bit optimistic, eventhough it's drag is extremely low. Neverthless very interesting car.

Dr Evil said:
I have hard time to believe the top speed figures, eventhough the car is very light and has very little drag, I dunno but with 20hp you are supposed to get 160kmh and with 50, 220kmh...
Motorcycles need lot's more power to achieve those numbers and bikes are over 50% lighter, so to me those figures sound bit optimistic, eventhough it's drag is extremely low. Neverthless very interesting car.
I'd assume motorcycles are less aerodynamic though.

epicstruggle said:
the ls model is quite enough for many in the third world. and the gt for the rest of us. Im glad some in the auto industry are pushing the boundary in MPG race.

epic
Now just make an ethanol version and it's gravy.

Dr Evil said:
Its about equivalent to a ford focus.
(via diggs)
20hp/450kg = 0.04444444

ford focus (wikipedia)
1.4 L Zetec-SE: 74BHP; 42.8MPG; 106MPH top speed; 14.1s 0-60
prob about 1400kg

74/1400 = 0.0528

similar power/weight ratio as a ford focus.

For streetbikes, yes the drag coefficient is pretty poor - various factors work against the benefits of a bike, such a rider positioning, visual design, and so on. Bikes can be made to be just a efficient as cars though (admittedly they wouldn't sell very well and I dare say they wouldn't be too comfy to ride). Go back to the 60s of GP racing and look at the top speeds achieved with the power available - no wonder they ended up banning dustbin fairings.

Neeyik said:
For streetbikes, yes the drag coefficient is pretty poor - various factors work against the benefits of a bike, such a rider positioning, visual design, and so on. Bikes can be made to be just a efficient as cars though (admittedly they wouldn't sell very well and I dare say they wouldn't be too comfy to ride). Go back to the 60s of GP racing and look at the top speeds achieved with the power available - no wonder they ended up banning dustbin fairings.
Agreed.
That's basically what the article says ;)

Joe DeFuria said:
I would also be inclined to believe that this car would be about as safe as a motorcycle in a crash.
Based on what? A cursory look? You can't tell anything about the safety of a car from what the shell is made of.

Three solid longitudinal support bars have a low weight and a higher stiffness than would be the case if there were side doors in the middle. Even in the case of a side impact, they will provide excellent protection. The pyramidal transverse support bar does not only effectively increase the protection against side impact but also makes the structure torsionally stiff to a high extent. Loremo's innovative structure allows for a great crumple zone of 600 mm which extremely reduces passenger load.

The graphics show a 50 km/h collision with a static barrier having a 40 % overlap. The dashboard is deformed by approximately 150 mm only.
Thus, it is highly probable that it will also withstand the 65 km/h offset crash with a soft barrier without major deformations of the dashboard. http://www.loremo.com/daten_en.php

epicstruggle said:
Its about equivalent to a ford focus.
(via diggs)

for the record, my piece of crap car :
760kg, 50hp -> ratio 0.0658, about 45MPG and top speed about 90mph, powerful enough to be fun to drive in city and small roads
being a diesel, the loremo maybe has almost as much torque as mine?

I'd like to know if the loremo is compatible with vegetable oil :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Blazkowicz_ said:
for the record, my piece of crap car :
760kg, 50hp -> ratio 0.0658, about 45MPG and top speed about 90mph
being a diesel, the loremo maybe has almost as much torque as mine?
1734.5kg, 287hp -> ratio 0.1655, about 20mpg and a top speed of about 160mph I think.

(274lb-ft of torque)

No clue what all the numbers mean, I'm just all re-infatuated with the Z since getting her back. :cool:

Top speed is only about friction. Slick, hard tires and a very low drag will get you there in the end, no matter the horsepower. The direction of the wind matters, though.

Anyway, nice car. But I think electric is the way to go, if only we had some decent batteries or fuel cells. I think direct methanol fuel cells are the way to go.

Back