1080p output = standard checkbox feature by 2011 or earlier?

That's because hardly anyone sits closer than about 6' to their TV, and on a 32" display you'd need better than 20/20 vision to resolve anything more than 720p anyway.

Yeah...it so happens that this display will not really be for TV at all...strictly gaming (at relatively close distance) and the occasional DVD. We haven't had broadcast (cable) piped into that room since we moved in 6 years ago. Our TV for "watching" is in the family room.

I certainly hope that 1080p won't be the "standard" just because some marketing idiots say it should be. Look at all the fuss this generation about games that render at a lower resolution internally, yet these games still look fantastic. People get too consumed with numbers and really start to "miss the forest because of the trees" in my opinion.

Remember, we're talking about the next generation, in 2010-2011.

Aren't PCs pretty much there, with 1080p or greater and all the effects?

At least on the high-end rigs?

So will next-gen consoles be able to match high-end PCs of today?

Remember, we're talking about the next generation, in 2010-2011.

Aren't PCs pretty much there, with 1080p or greater and all the effects?

At least on the high-end rigs?

So will next-gen consoles be able to match high-end PCs of today?

It really depends where they want to go. I don't see any reason to force developers to not have the choice. If the best game they can make will look best at something less than 1080p, thats what they should do. There's certainly no reason that the hardware won't allow resolutions up to 1080p but marketing bullet points don't really help anyone in the end. I want to see the best games developers can make, not the best games developers can meet while meeting certain goals set by marketers.

Yeah but as the anecdotes in this thread indicates, it's not just marketers pushing 1080p.

It looks like 1080p has a certain mindshare among the public.

I have to say I am really surpized with the push to 1080p, but maybe I shouldn't be. For the first you would need quite big screens or sit very close, closer than most I would think to see the difference in resolution. But the most annoying thing and where the stupidity, or should say sheep mentality, of the consumer sets in, is the fact, atleast here in Europe, that the thing that most people use their TVs for, which is to see normal broadcasted programs and the second most used thing, to watch DVDs are all in SD resolutions.

On the other hand as others have pointed out, it is not much of a choise as soon those will be the only TVs available for purchase and annoyingly there are other more important metrics like contrast/black levels but unfortunately that is not as easily meassured and improved and marketed.

As I said in my previous post, I belive in choise. Indeed maybe it would not be the best idea for all the games, but still I would rather developers have the choise to use 720p or 1080p depending on their game and vision, and that the next gen hardware is more geared for pretier pixels and not just more of them, quility over quantity...

Yeah but as the anecdotes in this thread indicates, it's not just marketers pushing 1080p.

It looks like 1080p has a certain mindshare among the public.

Because marketers are pushing it. The sad part is that consumers think that higher res TV will give better/higher res picture never thinking that the original source is the same. I had a coupke of friends that bought a 40" LCD TV thinking they some great image only to realize when they went home and swithced on the TV it was a bad grainy mess and both of them are actually well educated people, not the average joe six pack...

Because marketers are pushing it. The sad part is that consumers think that higher res TV will give better/higher res picture never thinking that the original source is the same. I had a coupke of friends that bought a 40" LCD TV thinking they some great image only to realize when they went home and swithced on the TV it was a bad grainy mess and both of them are actually well educated people, not the average joe six pack...

:D Yeah, the HD sources used in the shops do their work well and the personnel are often not very keen to switch to a SDTV source. I know from personal experience.

1080p is definitely a waste for regular TV watching, the benefits come from HD movies, internet surfing and photo showing as I see it, granted you have a size of the display matching your viewing distance.

1080p gaming has yet to show its benefits, the current trend of scaling to 1080p doesn´t seem to give any better picture than the built-in scaler of the TV.

In the early years of HDTVs in the US, most were 1080i and 720p was thought to be too expensive to produce in consumer sets.

Maybe the manufacturers have found that it's easy to make higher resolution panels now, but improving things like contrast ratio, black levels and response time is more costly.

We've been waiting for OLED panels almost for 4 years now.

Anyways, NTSC, PAL, etc reigned for decades.

With digital TV, things are in flux. But eventually, specs will settle down and have to be around for decades. So I can't complain they're moving towards 1080p.

In the early years of HDTVs in the US, most were 1080i and 720p was thought to be too expensive to produce in consumer sets.

Well, in the early years of consumer HDTV it was still CRT technology as a whole that was dominant over any flat panel type display. 1080i display is a pretty clear sweetspot fot price / performance winner with CRT technology.

Now that flat panel technology has pretty much overtaken CRT technology, we'll see 1080p evolove to become the display standard.

I think most of us are expecting 1080p being the primary resolution next gen. Following past consoles:

N64/PS1: 320x240 (with a few 640x480 interlaced titles)
Xbox/PS2/GCN: 480i/p (a few 720p/1080i games)
Xbox 360/PS3: 720p/1080i (some 1080p games)

The logical conclusion is that 1080p would be the baseline for the 2010-12 timeframe of consoles.

Hopefuly 1080p standard will come with the next gen consoles xbox 3 and ps4

Hopefuly 1080p standard will come with the next gen consoles xbox 3 and ps4

if Ps4 and Xbox720 will do native 1080p @ 8xAA and 720p @ 24xAA I will be fine
I'm talking about rasterized graphics

although some rumors says that future machines will spot a CGPU heavly multithreaded (24-48 cores) able to perform some CG rendering in realtime
who knows the future?
:rolleyes:

I bet on 1080p @ 8xAA rasterized graphics for 2011

I would think that we're unlikely to see any more than 4xAA at any point in the future, since the resources can be used to improve other aspects of the image. Let's hope that AF will be standard on all games by then (at least 4xAF).

I would think that we're unlikely to see any more than 4xAA at any point in the future, since the resources can be used to improve other aspects of the image. Let's hope that AF will be standard on all games by then (at least 4xAF).
I agree, and a switch to 1080p also mean huge bandwith requirement, more pixel shading power.

I think that the next gen system will have tigher silicon buget than the current systems so it could make edram costly.

Back