Microsoft releases "Silverlight" to compete Flash

Kaotik

Drunk Member
Legend
Supporter
http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/

The beta version is now available.
At first, it's mainly aimed against Flash videos, but overtime it will grow and in the end, it's planned to end up as leading RIA (Rich Interactive Application) platform, you could build with ASP.NET applications which use both AJAX and Silverlight.
And I'm bad at writing stuff like this

Anyway, to boost the start, MS launched https://silverlight.live.com/ site where you can store up to 4GB of streaming (silverlight) content for free.

Silverlight is available for Windows and Mac at the moment, and supports in addition to IE, Firefox and Safari.

ActiveX is just the branding Microsoft uses for accessing COM Controls in Media rich environment. A COM Control is typically coded in C++ or VB, so they are hardly direct competition to flash.

Silverlight is the official name for WPF/E, which is WPF-everywhere, or the cut down version of Windows Presentation Foundation - which is the UI language for Vista.

Phew.

So it's actually really quite good. And as developers start getting into vista and WPF, they will find it much easier to port to silverlight.

There are also some other networking and sharing advantages iirc. Not to mention the significantly better video support.

Personally I'm no fan of the name silverlight, but the tech is good.

If it means squeezing adobe out of the market and thus stop the flash plugin from crashing and taking every single tab in IE7 down with it I'm all for it. ;)
I definitely sympathize, but I'm not sold on any monopoly. Adobe couldn't maintain quality at the top. I doubt Microsoft can either. As long as there's enough competition to keep them progressing, I'm happy.

Ok I didn't actually realise it, but silverlight allows you to write client side .net code (the original samples didn't seem to use it).

This is a pretty ginormous thing. C#, VB, ironpython, ruby.net... etc.. but client side...

They have a sample that plays chess here:
http://silverlight.net/samples/1.1/chess/run/default.html

It has a .net and a jscript implementation. The .net implementation is approximately 1300x faster on my machine.

Coupled with the fact silverlight doesn't have to be used as an embedded control (it can be just another part of xhtml) things start to get pretty damn spicey. Not to mention hardware rendering on vista...
A fully fledged networked 3d game isn't out of the question I'm thinking...

It's nice if it's available to non-windows platforms and if it is an open standard. But it probably isn't an open standard, right?

It's nice if it's available to non-windows platforms and if it is an open standard. But it probably isn't an open standard, right?

Well it's available for OS X already, Linux support.. well, I doubt it, but if it goes through, I'd expect them to actually release it too

Well it's available for OS X already, Linux support.. well, I doubt it, but if it goes through, I'd expect them to actually release it too

Aren't the Mono brigade are going to do a clone. I thought I read that somewhere.

It has been confirmed that the people working on mono will also do silverlight; I'll try to find a link. Think I saw it on ars technica.

EDIT: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070501-microsofts-flash-killer-steals-the-show-at-mix07.html

Mono developer Miguel de Icaza has already expressed interest in building an open-source Linux-compatible Silverlight implementation. In fact, de Icaza admits that he is "kind of happy" that Microsoft didn't make a Linux-based Silverlight port, because he thinks that "implementing [Silverlight] sounds incredibly fun and interesting."

Last edited by a moderator:
Arrrgh...... another incompatible proprietary video format - as if we need yet another one.

Arrrgh...... another incompatible proprietary video format - as if we need yet another one.
Since when is Silverlight a video format? Or are you refering to VC-1 which Silverlight is using? In that case my question would be: Since when is VC-1 proriertary?

Since when is Silverlight a video format? Or are you refering to VC-1 which Silverlight is using? In that case my question would be: Since when is VC-1 proriertary?

It is a format used to display video, therefore it is a video format.

Proprietary \Pro*pri"e*ta*ry\, a. [L. proprietarius.]
Belonging, or pertaining, to a proprietor; considered as
property; owned; as, proprietary medicine.
[1913 Webster]

Why did you mention VC1 in particular? VC1 and most video formats are proprietary - theroa ogg being the exception. They, or rather the codecs they use are protected by patents on the encryption, so you have to pay for the right to use it. In the case of most video formats the creator of the format is who the money is collected from, or whoever pays for software the player is bundled with. Like IE and Firefox, the player is usually free because if they charge end users for it, that would reduce their uptake, and hence their income. Lock-in to proprietary video codecs (and DRM) are also being used as an anti-competition measure - for example Microsoft was fined $1billion fairly recently for anti-competitive practices with regard to bundling of video players. If video codecs and formats were open standards (like HTML) which anyone can use without restriction or payment of royalties, instead of proprietary ones, then we wouldn't have all this incompatibility and vendor lock-in push that we are seeing from everybody in the market.

Silverlight is a Microsoft only proprietary format, which I believe has both secret bits, and bits which are protected by patents. Incidentally VC1, Mpeg, AVC etc. are all proprietary - or at least different parts are proprietary to different companies since many companies own patents to different bits of the codecs. While this is better than a single company proprietary product since it is less likely to be used for anti-competitive lock-in, it is still a problem, because it increases cost - for example a DVD player hardware costs $25 to manufacture but the licensing of codecs required to play DVDs add an extra $25 to the price of a DVD player. Also you still get groupings pushing different formats in the hope of making a killing on royalties later if their format is successful. The result is a whole load of mutually incompatible formats which are forced onto the customer.

Adobe Flash is also proprietary, and I would dearly like to see an libre open standard version to replace it, however it is better than Silverlight because at least it is OS neutral. Microsoft will definitely use Silverlight to try to lock out other OSes and possibly even Google/Youtube, who they are hoping to challenge.

Wow, Microsoft reinvents Java Applets, too bad its many years too late.

I predict this will be about as successful as MS's other attempts at internet technology. IE has been steadily losing marketshare and given the way most sites are sticking to pure cross-browser JS/HTML/CSS these days, I highly doubt this will take off anymore than Java Applets did. Silverlight is just as huge and RAM hungry as Java, and is not going to replace JS or Flash anytime soon.

It is a format used to display video, therefore it is a video format.
You should get your facts right before you post.

Silverlight is not a video format. Silverlight 1.0 is a runtime library which exposes a subset of WPF (Windows Presentation Framework), therefore it was called WPF/E (Windows Presentation Framework / Everywhere) previously. Silverlight 1.1 adds a custom version of the CLR (Common Language Runtime), meaning you don't have to use the browser' s JavaScript engine, which will conveniently eliminate bugs due to different JavaScript implementations and will allow you to program it using a different language (JavaScript, Ruby, Phyton, C#, VB, etc.). So Silverlight is similar to Flash and maybe Java , both of which can display video but are not video formats themselves (and calling them would be silly). Silverlight is using VC-1 for video display. VC-1 is a standard and it's not new by any means. Whether or not VC-1 is proprietary according to your definition is absolutely irrelevant since any usable and accepted video standard is proprietary according to your terms.

Wow, Microsoft reinvents Java Applets, too bad its many years too late.
Well, the same has previously been said about Java and .NET and .NET is pretty successful. Apart from that Adobe is doing the same thing (i.e. reinventing applets) with Flash. Are they too late, too? I think it's rather the other way round: Applets were too early (and badly done). And given the choice I would rather program Silverlight than Flash (and I bet those who have been forced to program something using Flash/ActionScript would probably say the same).

Well, the same has previously been said about Java and .NET and .NET is pretty successful. Apart from that Adobe is doing the same thing (i.e. reinventing applets) with Flash. Are they too late, too? I think it's rather the other way round: Applets were too early (and badly done). And given the choice I would rather program Silverlight than Flash (and I bet those who have been forced to program something using Flash/ActionScript would probably say the same).

That is exactly what I am saying - that there are too many incompatible proprietary audio-visual standards. We certainly don't need yet another one. As for programmers finding it hard, I don't think that is the a problem - programmers are smart enough to do that, and there will be tools to make it Flash easier. The real problem is for the end user who has to deal with this mess and install countless codecs, plug-ins and updates to codecs and plug-ins in order to access the content.

That is exactly what I am saying - that there are too many incompatible proprietary audio-visual standards. We certainly don't need yet another one.
What? 2? What else is seriously competing with Flash? I'd much rather have 2 products in the field than have one go on unchallenged for years.

As for programmers finding it hard, I don't think that is the a problem - programmers are smart enough to do that, and there will be tools to make it Flash easier.
I'm sure they'll all be pleased to know that they can just deal with it.

The real problem is for the end user who has to deal with this mess and install countless codecs, plug-ins and updates to codecs and plug-ins in order to access the content.
This would add 1 installation, if I understand it correctly. Silverlight would have to be installed, but after that, it would use all the existing codecs, formats, etc. that other technologies use. I don't understand how 1 more than what we have today is "countless." It's not like you have to install WMV for each program that uses it.

Back