Killzone PS3 shown at GDC 07?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since everybody else is throwing dirt here, I'll join...
I personally feel that Halo is the only console FPS worth talking about... Future might chance things.

edit: well ok that's an exaggeration, but I still feel it's the only truly great console fps game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well since everybody else is throwing dirt here, I'll join...
I personally feel that Halo is the only console FPS worth talking about... Future might chance things.

edit: well ok that's an exaggeration, but I still feel it's the only truly great console fps game.

If we're considering strictly console-exclusive games and Halo counts due to H2V not being out yet, the first Halo's port being extremely poor, and H3 not having a port for a number of years to come, I'll agree with that. There might be a couple more people that agree, if sales charts and online play time/people still playing have any value greater than nada.

Of course, I find myself as an oddball often. I just don't get GTA, I'm not quite as hot on God of War as others, and HL2... I find to be horribly overrated (and HL2: Episode 1 to be a far more enjoyable experience)--yes, moreso than Halo, by about a mile. An oddball is me.

Also, Halo 1 never had any Live support of anykind, and survived pretty much entirely off the SP and Splitscreen/LAN Multiplayer. Halo 2 may be close to 9 million WW, but Halo 1 still managed 6 million +. Unless one is to subscribe to the theory that a decent FPS + STARVING CONSOLE BUYERS (for both a good shooter and a good game) is what produced all the results.

But look at that cover picture... because we're really off topic now.

If they wanted they could have rendered it much better than what was shown at E3'05. But they didn't because it shall be an equivalent of what's to expected for the real game (regardless if it can be achieved or not).

They've done it so because they were under a pretty tight deadline, especially considering the size of the team. They had to pull long nights and weekends to get it completed for the show.

Again. This was not a target render at all, there were no instructions of any sort on poly count, texture resolution, scene complexity, or anything - Axis only had to make it look as good as they could, at that time (early 2005), with their technology at that time (they've significantly upgraded their tools and workflow in the past two years).
Can we please stop with all the rampant speculation about that project, so long after a lot of concrete information has been shared?

Hi everyone :smile:

Comment from lead tester(scroll down):
All I can say is that only at a certain point in development does an actual "Game" come together. When you start making a new level, you do not start colouring it in from the start point to the end-trigger. Layers get added on over months of development and a game can only really start coming together near Beta. What was shown was not a gameplay demo, or some unveiling, it was a demo of our physics and lighting features and what we can do with ragdolls and texturing. Fact is, it was not ready for the general public, because then we would have no end of "It looks nothing like the E3 movie! $ony $ucks! KILLZONE LIES!!!". We are working hard at getting to the point where we are ready to show it and where it will look better than anything you want to compare it with. We still have a lot of work to do till then, but we will get there.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...thread.id=4780&view=by_date_ascending&page=69

Seb Downie - Lead Tester - Guerrilla Games

Hi everyone :smile:

Comment from lead tester(scroll down):

This will be a great battle when this title is shown next to MS's big hitter. I'm guessing KZ2 (the psp game is hardly worth considering a proper sequel) will come out on top as they have a different goal. MS want a good looking game, but I think they are focusing more on their gameplay objectives (large battlefield) than anything else at this point so graphics will have to be compromised somewhat to fit in the limited ram.

KZ2 however will be a flagship title (system seller) that needs to position itself as superior to all else on the market.

I think the team can do it by limiting the play area and mixing cgi for transistions which fool the gamer by showing a much larger world when transporting etc. If done correctly it could do the trick of haing a very detailed but limited world and carrying this same LOD in the transistion points while the game loads in the background.

Depends on their design though, I have no inside info on what they are planning, just speculation on where this title fits in with the bigger picture at Sony co.

My guess is Gears class graphics with AA. I think this would do the trick and should be feasible for the team.

I have no inside info on what they are planning, just speculation

The cliff notes. You are playing the expectation game, raising the bar so you can claim they fail. KZ doesn't "need to" do anything other than be a good game. The first one has a good story and ambiance (that Gears borrowed from IMO), but the hardware was not capable.

Since KZ was a 7/10 game, I'd love to hear your expectations for Halo 3, must it be the best looking and playing game ever?

http://uk.media.games.ign.com/articles/693/693580/vid_1931004.html

2:25 comments on KZ @ GDC. Basically only a tech demo (similar to how MS presented Fable 2) with an emphasis to show off the tools, reminded the IGN guy of Black on the Xbox with stuff blowing up everywhere and a lot of particle effects. He said it looked alright but nowhere as good as the CG. A little surprising they didn't show something more polished, not surprising on the graphics.

I'd love to hear your expectations for Halo 3, must it be the best looking and playing game ever?

If you read my post I said KZ will probably come out on top. Mostly by postioning from Sony. However with Sony these days who knows. I still think the team will come through. It won't match the cgi by a long shot but will use tricks to get close to make the difference small enough where most won't notice unless it's pointed out.

[offtopic]
H series has a large online following so this will be the #1 priority w/ graphics 2nd. (I will most likely be disapointed by their efforts as online play is secondary for me. H2 was crap to me. H1 was great for what it was.
[/offtopic]

My guess.

There's an interview with Guerilla in 'De Telegraaf', a fairly popular Dutch newspaper. As referred to on QJ.net:

New details regarding Killzone PS3have been revealed by game developers from Guerrilla Games. They announced some of the features they have added to Killzone PS3 which should differentiate itself from other FPS.

The developers mentioned that it was easier to develop the game on the PS3 since they had more computing power to play with unlike the limited power the PS2 provided. They went so far as to say that if theycould imagine it, they could implement it. So what have the developers been imagining and implementing?

One of the new features they added involves the improvement of the physics engine. No longer will a tank be stopped by a wooden fence, it would simply keep rolling on. In addition to this, lighting and shadowing have been improved to cinema-like quality, making the game prettier than its previous incarnations. Finally, they have also announced that practically the entire world would be destructible. No specifics on this have been given, but we hope that walls can be leveled by using a tank.

Killzone PS3 is slated to be released in Europe on July 13, while the US release date has yet to be announced. If you've been patiently waiting for the the game, it may be good for you to know that new info about Killzone PS3 will be shown in the next issue of PSM.

Emphasis mine. That's soon!

Pfew. I'm looking forward to seeing how they've implemented the sixaxis, or if we have to wait for Unreal on PS3 to see a decent implentation or at least a full-blown attempt at one ;) (can't wait for that - it's what I imagined I would do, and I'm soo hoping it'll be good).

So the rumors were apparently true in saying PS3 Killzone was far along in development. However July's only 3 months away - you'd think they would've shown something already.. then again that might've further made possible PS3 owners delay their purchase.

Most likely that QJ.net article is confusing E3 with the release date, the original article has no mention of the release date and "the next issue of PSM" thing was wrong too.

http://ps3.qj.net/New-details-on-Killzone-PS3/pg/49/aid/87326
http://www.telegraaf.nl/i-mail/60736281/Hele_wereld_kan_kapot_op_PS3.html

I think so to. I think they will unveil it then, not release it, if that was the case it would be high time for them to start hyping it to death already...

I think so to. I think they will unveil it then, not release it, if that was the case it would be high time for them to start hyping it to death already...

For Sony at this point: Unveil = Release.

KZ2 will be the "proof" many were/are looking for of console superiority by ps3. If it fails, I think it will place the burden of ps3 success squarely on price. We've already seen Motorstorm and while it looked nice, it was hardly a world beater that established the ps3 as the elite console this gen. With these two titles being the talk of the debut, and the emphasis on the KZ, This unveiling will be something special one way or the other. :smile:

IMO - Sony should hold this title until they can demonstrate console superiority as it is integral to their pricing strategy. What sucks for them is, the more time that passes, another game gets announced that ups the bar again, making it more difficult to impress with KZ2. If I were in their shoes I would demo the game as CGI (asset limited) if the realtime code was not clearly head and shoulders above games on the market and soon to be on the market. They need something to combat Halo3 and this something needs to at least match it, but honestly it needs to surpass it. Fun times ahead. :D

I really don't understand why you persist in attaching an imagined importance to Killzone, TheChef0. I'd love to know who these people are who think Killzone will be the second coming in terms of establishing "PS3 superiority", because all I've seen since the controversy over the nature of the E3 05 demo is scepticism and cynicism (if not active anticipation for 'the real deal' to fall short - that is everywhere).

I think there's much better cases being made out there already in terms of validating the worthiness of PS3. I think you'll see much better cases in the future, obviously, as software matures - Killzone is not "the last chance" to show PS3 off :rolleyes: If Killzone did not do that, the burden doesn't fall squarely on price, it falls on subsequent releases to do that. I open to surprise, but I don't know anyone, certainly least of all myself, who is expecting much of anything from Killzone, it's certainly well down my list. There's much more solid bets elsewhere, and I think most know that.

I could be cynical, and suggest that you're puffing up the significance of Killzone in the broad hope that it will fall flat in a more dramatic fashion.

TheChefO is making a point of building up Killzone as he fully expects it to fall short, thus the more he builds it up, the more he can slag it off later, being the 360 fan he so obviously is.

TheChefO is making a point of building up Killzone as he fully expects it to fall short, thus the more he builds it up, the more he can slag it off later, being the 360 fan he so obviously is.

Really. Or is he being logical, and recognizing that KZ2 will be targeted as a system showpiece, and graphical powerhouse, while the Bungie guys have stated explicitly they are concentrating on scope and atmosphere, instead of insane detail levels.

KZ2 will probably look better than Halo 3, and that has nothing to do with any expectation game, that's called being informed and using critical thinking.

If you want to play that game, here's my expectation: Gameplay in KZ will be average or sub par, like the other 2 KZ's, and it will be one of the most overhyped games in recent memory.

Now, given your guys' "logic", since I have very low expectations, I must be a Sony f@nboy who's setting it up to exceed expectations right?? :rolleyes: It's pretty funny the hoops you guys jump through to call people out, rather than just responding to their arguments.

IMO - Sony should hold this title until they can demonstrate console superiority as it is integral to their pricing strategy. What sucks for them is, the more time that passes, another game gets announced that ups the bar again, making it more difficult to impress with KZ2. If I were in their shoes I would demo the game as CGI (asset limited) if the real-time code was not clearly head and shoulders above games on the market and soon to be on the market. They need something to combat Halo3 and this something needs to at least match it, but honestly it needs to surpass it. Fun times ahead. :D

I think that would be a terrible idea, and would only make the game look worst when it is show in real-time.

Also if the new CGI trailer is more of what the game would really look like it probably won't be as good as the first CGI trailer which would probably make them look bad because it would look as if they overestimated what the PS3 could do. Right now they still have a chance to capture the essence of the video and redeem themselves somewhat like motor storm

Now, given your guys' "logic", since I have very low expectations, I must be a Sony f@nboy who's setting it up to exceed expectations right?? :rolleyes: It's pretty funny the hoops you guys jump through to call people out, rather than just responding to their arguments.

It's a ludicrous argument to say that PS3 'falls back squarely on price' if Killzone fails to demonstrate 'PS3 superiority'. So ludicrous that I think it demands closer inspection as to why one would be motivated to attempt to place such a burden on such a title. For the sake of drama is not a bad bet in this case, I don't think.

I'd love to know who these people are who think Killzone will be the second coming in terms of establishing "PS3 superiority

Every person who has bought a PS3 and will be buying a PS3 this year is for KZ2. I thought that was rather obvious. Were have you been? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back