BSG being milked like any other successful show on TV....

I have to wonder, is the show perhaps not generating the expected revenue and thus the budget is forcing some (relatively) on the fly decisions. Specifically, is Starbuck/Katee Sackhoff still getting paid or did they cut a deal with her? Afaik she had a five season contract. Her "replacement" in the pilot roster undoubtedly has a much lower per episode salary.

Salary* is why Pat Tallman didn't sign on to be B5's resident telepath after the pilot and so JMS had to make changes.

I agree with the post that mentions the tactic of trying to skimp with some episodes so as to save for episodes that will give a greater bang for the buck. B5** had to do that too.

Salon mourns: http://www.salon.com/ent/tv/iltw/2007/03/11/weddings/index.html

*I've read that the suits couldn't be swayed from an insultingly low ball figure.

Btw, do a screen cap of Starbuck's cockpit just before the explosion. Interesting. :) Though it could just be a matter of a CGI effect/model lacking an important detail. ;)

** Interesting JMS news: http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17647

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117960798.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

I agree with the OP. It should of and could have been a tour de force, an unrelenting wow-fest of terrific quality, not a soap opera with expensive sets.

I still enjoy it, probably out of habit. :smile: ...but not nearly as much as I once did.

I've felt the last few episodes it's stabilized. Not back to the best of seasons one and two, but at least there seems to be a thread moving forward again.

Correct me if i'm wrong but that was ep.18 of ~21 in a season. What with the requirement for a 1 or 2 episode run-up to a two-episode end-of-season cliff-hanger, now is the right time for ... for example to be pulling the major characters out in preparation for revealing them as *shock* The Five (for example).

I mean which bit of "Starbuck has some sort of deep and mysterious past and/or future" wasn't totally transparent from that episode?

There's no way they're going to get rid of her, she's the hottest chick in the entire series :)

Starbuck doesn't hold a candle to Tricia Helfer and Grace Park. But I'm still 23 so maybe in a few more years I'll learn to find butch girls more attractive.

Starbuck doesn't hold a candle to Tricia Helfer and Grace Park. But I'm still 23 so maybe in a few more years I'll learn to find butch girls more attractive.

Yeah, give it a few years, you'll see. Helfer is ISO standard platinum blonde. Blah. Grace Park is nice enough (wouldn't kick either out of bed to be fair).

So far, I think this season has been pretty good, actually. There were no truly atrocious episodes like some of the stuff we had to suffer through in various Star Trek series. I'd say the weakest eposides were the boxing match one, the one about Adama's wedding anniversary and, most of all, the episode in which some pilot dies a heroic death leading the fleet through a radioactive star cluster. The boxing episode and the Adama episode at least offered some interesting insight.

I just don't see how people can say that this season is worse than the last. It isn't. There have been a number of weak episodes in season 2 and none of the weak season 3 episodes have been any worse.

Remember the season 2 episode about the embedded journalist? Or the black market episode that started with an interesting premise but turned out to be a complete let down? Or the one about the terrorist hostage taking? The episode with that Cylon Uber-Raider and the constant bitch fighting between Starbuck and Kat, which felt like a rip-off of a similar Space: Above and Beyond episode?

There hasn't even been one episode so far I'd consider a waste of time. Some were a bit weak but there has been no complete stinker. The overall quality level remains very high.

I really enjoyed the episode about the refinery workers' strike because it gave insight into the way society functions in the fleet. The fleet has been little more than window dressing so far. I found it interesting. I think the ending was a bit awkward but the provocative issues that were raised made it worthwhile.

I think the episode about Starbuck's death was brilliant. It was intense, emotional, illuminating and visually very well done. Sackhoff gave a fine performance of Kara's psychological meltdown. I'm still not sure I like the idea of snuffing such a central character but the epside did what it set out to do really well, IMO.

she's the hottest chick in the entire series :)

I vomited in my mouth a little just now. She looks like a man-trying-to-become-a-woman. A real dog.. :oops:

I actually didn't watch the last 4 episodes until just the other day, they bored me so much. Once I reached that ep with Helo playing medicine-man with the Sgigititriaririrons, I nearly died of boredom. I'd fire it up, watch about 5 seconds, get bored and skip through it briefly just for the hell of it, then close it and give up. Then the next one would come out, i'd check the details on Gateworld, realise it was another pathetically boring episode and leave that too. But finally after finishing going through my backlog of classic TV shows, I was forced to watch these eps of BSG, not only out of necessity, but also to 'keep up' (on boring plot discussions!).

Better pickup soon...I want some damn epic space battles! And for crikeys sake, ENOUGH WITH THE SHAKEY CAM! It was cool and inventive in season 1, and 'ok' in 2, but all through 3 they've been waving the fricken thing around like it were tied to a piece of string on the end of a stick in the middle of a hurricane. It's rightly pissing me off. Too often they swing it all over the place and out of focus as if they were the Millenium Falcon dodging asteroids :devilish:

*edit* Wow...after reading those new spoilers, I see we now have an equally shit-tastic ending coming up. It's like they want us to go to sleep while watching it...

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.cortandfatboy.com/index.php?id=489

A teensy bit OT, it contains a decent post Starbuck death interview with Katee Sackhoff. The "Listen now!" link opens a new window that use QT audio, the mini-control panel below it seems to use flash but it's audio only too. Lol, she's opinionated and funny.

P.S. I looked again at the screen captures of her final scene. They're not the best quality but I think I previously allowed hope to blur judgment. In other words, I can't now say I saw what some others think they saw. Sorry about that.

I've given completely up on BSG .....

I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish they'd start up Firefly again, but i guess that wont ever happen :(

I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish they'd start up Firefly again, but i guess that wont ever happen :(
Thank goodness. Most overrated show EVAR. We don't need yet another generation of fantards praising this crappy mishmash of things we've seen done better a hundred times before like it was the Jesus of SciFi.

I still don't understand all that Nerd Rage against 3rd season BSG.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave in and read the spoilers for the rest of the season, including finding out who four of the five unknown Cylons are....and they're all currently on Galactica. :devilish:

I gave in and read the spoilers for the rest of the season, including finding out who four of the five unknown Cylons are....and they're all currently on Galactica. :devilish:

I read that too... it would make the series a little more interesting, but they've still pretty much wasted the season (after such a brilliant climax to season 2)

L233: I'm intrigued. Explain why Firefly is overrated, if you will?

The latest BSG was very good, BTW. The show's never dipped in quality, but it'd been going slowly without many truly memorable eps. I suspect the season finale will deliver in a similar fashion.

Back