Trailer from Naughty Dog

with a stupid 3d screen while for crisy we have tons of video ? It's not jut correct.Just wait a video and see if naughty dog fool us :D

Of course. It's a PS3 game so it's clear the developers have lied. It's a PS3 game so it's seriously downgraded, it can clearly be seen from one little screenshot. It's a PS3 game so it's going to look average at best and even then you have to remember the devs clearly lied and it's clearly downgraded with plasticy shaders and terrible aliasing. And it would look a lot better on 360, a lot better. Afterall, it's a PS3 game that was clearly, after seeing this screeshot, being lied about in the past and everyone who expected anything good has clearly been betrayed by the devs in the most horrifying way you could ever imagine. Average at best, even that might be overrating.

Of course. It's a PS3 game so it's clear the developers have lied. It's a PS3 game so it's seriously downgraded, it can clearly be seen from one little screenshot. It's a PS3 game so it's going to look average at best and even then you have to remember the devs clearly lied and it's clearly downgraded with plasticy shaders and terrible aliasing. And it would look a lot better on 360, a lot better. Afterall, it's a PS3 game that was clearly, after seeing this screeshot, being lied about in the past and everyone who expected anything good has clearly been betrayed by the devs in the most horrifying way you could ever imagine. Average at best, even that might be overrating.

captain obvious:rolleyes:

:p

I hope they show this game live at gdc and someone leaks a vid or two so we can better guage what the true status of this game is.

I praise Naughty Dog honesty. They can show some bullshot. I repeat in december the game was just a bit under the trailer.

And the promotional materials of Sony is often old, we don't know the screenshot date, if it is like the HS shots at E3.

how do you know this thing ? And how mean a little bit under the trailer ???

Did you really? It was from E3 '06 wasn't it? I never thought a game would look like that circa 6 months before the launch of the console itself.

Any DX9.1 enabled PC should be able to display normal mapped geometry. Gears was running in realtime, even though on PCs, when it has been announced. This game demonstrated ingame assets and I thought that Naughty Dog wouldn't bother with prerendered stuff...

Can you explain this significant difference in the visuals then?

I thought you worked in cg. Maybe you could specifically highlight the differences. You noted the specularity of the skin, but then isn't that seriously being effected by the intensity and proximity of the muzzle flash? That's like an order of magnitude brighter than the ambient lighting in all the other shots we had previously. The vegetation is also at a different depth and angle than before. Like the grass, doesn't this result in AF muddying otherwise sharp textures? When you rotate the image so you're looking at his left side, you see the textures on the nearby tree is as sharp as what we saw in the previous trailer.

The differences IMO are the change in character design, poor image quality (which might have something to do with the odd resolution) and the bright muzzle flash which has pretty much washed out any of the ambient lighting effects. I also side with the people that say it looks better than the previous trailer. It may well turn out that the game isn't as populated as the trailer showed, but that is not a conclusion to be reached from some screens grabbed from a single frame of animation. Again, you're supposed to be the cg guy, but you sure don't sound like it here. Maybe I'm missing the glaring differences. PEACE.

I also side with the people who say it looks better than in the trailer. I certainly wouldn't say it was downgraded by just looking at that pic. The only difference I can plainly see is the lighting is different (which might be due to the time of day and/or the muzzle flash) and the character model looks slightly evolved from the previous one, but that's about it. Anything else wouldn't be noticable to your average gamer (which would be me).

As for the water, I would wait until seeing it in motion before judging it...

Based on the work Naughty Dog has done in the past, I expect that they won't fail to impress this time around either. Just my 2 cents.

I pruned so many posts, in this thread, that contributed nothing but adding static to the debate that I think locking the thread down would have been a more appropriate choice..
Definitely not on par with the original trailer, and I thought that was realtime... seems like we've been fooled back then, one more time.
It's a single frozed sequence based on a fairly closed enviroment, which was not in the early footage.
You're looking way too much into it.

Now, having said that, I can't say I'm particularily impressed with that 3D screenshot myself. Why they chose to take a 3D screenshot just in the middle of a propagation of crappy large quad poly with an alpha texture particle might remain a mystery for the upcoming years. Large particle effects are not the kind of effects you'd want to have in a frozen environment because the result will look like a 3D cutboard effect from the early 3D raycasting games.

By the way, the E3 06 trailer, according to the ND folks, was from a PS3 devkit.
With that said, the E3 video was a directed, fast paced trailer and was probably fully featured (as in with the LOD levels pushed to the maximum and with more AA than what the final game will have, if any).
If you are willing to believe, or not, any new member vague and contentless claims, that is your right, but, please, no need to bring that into a discussion as if it was debate worthy.

I'm not seeing the huge differences at all, only thing that stands out is the quality of the screens; Artifacts in the new image, and the huge amounts of AA in the trailer. As others said before the muzzleflash is affecting the quality as well. Other than that I don't see it.

Better to wait for updated screens (of the newest build if possible), preferably HD video to see it in motion.

:oops: Wow, game looks amazing. Are they gonna unveil a portion on GDC ? Perhaps we'll be lucky enough to see what the wizards of Naughty have concocted...

The 2 pirates in the background have softer lighting. They are more comparable to the one in Tap In's post. Perhaps if we have another screen shot without the flare, it would be easier to compare.

Besides the harsher lighting, I can also see jaggies, and fake leaves behind Drake. On the other hand, I like the shadow in the trees to his front left, and the wet rocks behind him. The wrinkles in his shirt (nice !) and everything else looks on par with the other. What are those floating stuff in mid-air (not the empty shells) ? Are they leaves ?

Btw. didnt Axsider say they were finalizing the main character's design and that his face or clothes might change? There's one point he was right about.:LOL:

I'm not seeing the huge differences at all, only thing that stands out is the quality of the screens; Artifacts in the new image, and the huge amounts of AA in the trailer. As others said before the muzzleflash is affecting the quality as well. Other than that I don't see it.

Better to wait for updated screens (of the newest build if possible), preferably HD video to see it in motion.

What??!! Seriously are you blind?!! :oops:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5585122&postcount=327

The Game has taken a major step UP here!! In the old video there was no light! The whole thing was dim and all solid looking and stuff. I mean heck look at the vegetation! Or the shadows! Before it was like some kinda cgi or somethin. Now it looks like a game is supposed to! AF ftw!

:|

/joke

Seriously - Lighting and shadow are worlds apart along with vegetation, AF, AA, Texture detail, but I see where the team is going. Certainly promising and has oodles of potential. Not only graphically but :oops: could be loads of fun too!

The legend of ps3=realtime CGI gameplay, is dead though. ... {twitches on the floor} dead I tell you!:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back