Best Graphic EVER [Full Gears of War Vids]

Status
Not open for further replies.
looks amazing... the fidelity and quality are top notch and the gritty nature of the environment creates a surreal world that looks like fun. The smoke, particle effects and the dirt and debris flying may be the best ever IMO.

I can't wait to play this on XB LIVE :cool:

oh and the "Roadie Cam" rocks my socks

Last edited by a moderator:
Best Graphics ever? Well yeah imo atleast if PC exlusive like Crysis are counted out. I mean here is my take on the matter...

After I watched all the footage that came out from TGS I was blown away by the quality of the PS3 titles. It's clear that PS3 developers have had lot's of time to polish their titles and the new worldwide company policy where sharing of technology and information seems to really pay off for them. Almost all the games I have seen on PS3 are atleast 9/10 graphically, or atleast higher percentage than on the X360. So I think so far it seems that PS3 games on average have better graphics than 360 games imo.

I believe that it has more to do with the deveplopment community sharing their ideas between studios than the machine itself, although it's clearly a beast.

However at the end of the day in my book Gears is graphically 10/10 and it spanks everything I've seen on PS3 or on X360 by a margin that is clearly seen. I'm super excited about this game, I just hope that other X360 developers can match or exceed this in the future. I know the "huge" titles are going to accomplish that, but I want the quality to spread more evenly across all games.

Though when I look at the titles that are coming out next year, I must say I'm not too worried about all of this really. Great times ahead indeed...

Spanks everything on the PS3?

Well, it certainly has been in development forever and on final hardware forever as well.

Best Graphics ever? Well yeah imo atleast if PC exlusive like Crysis are counted out. I mean here is my take on the matter...

After I watched all the footage that came out from TGS I was blown away by the quality of the PS3 titles. It's clear that PS3 developers have had lot's of time to polish their titles and the new worldwide company policy where sharing of technology and information seems to really pay off for them. Almost all the games I have seen on PS3 are atleast 9/10 graphically, or atleast higher percentage than on the X360. So I think so far it seems that PS3 games on average have better graphics than 360 games imo.

I believe that it has more to do with the deveplopment community sharing their ideas between studios than the machine itself, although it's clearly a beast.

However at the end of the day in my book Gears is graphically 10/10 and it spanks everything I've seen on PS3 or on X360 by a margin that is clearly seen. I'm super excited about this game, I just hope that other X360 developers can match or exceed this in the future. I know the "huge" titles are going to accomplish that, but I want the quality to spread more evenly across all games.

Though when I look at the titles that are coming out next year, I must say I'm not too worried about all of this really. Great times ahead indeed...

That's mostly subjective, but it does look very good.

But you can't deny that for first-generation launch titles, the PS3 is showing a different promise than what the 360 showed for its last year's launch.

Although Resistance is obviously not as pretty looking as Gears of War, I can see more enemies on screen, more particle effects and huge enemies moving in complex environments in Resistance, plus that Rag-doll physics is pretty sick.

Another is Lair's testament to CELL's ability to render 32x32 miles landscape, Global Illumination (apparently after a certain duration the sun rises across horizon), 3,000 interactive soldiers and multiple dragons on the sky with non-foggy draw distance, and volumetric smoke/fluids being rendered at the same time is very, very impressive.

That's my two cents...

But you can't deny that for first-generation launch titles, the PS3 is showing a different promise than what the 360 showed for its last year's launch. ..

Well I guess when you delay your launch 6 months, that might be one of the side effects.

Not that I agree with you, Kameo still looks as good as anything launching with PS3 imo.

I find it difficult to label any 1 game, "Best Graphic EVER" for the sole reason that different games offer differing visual experiences.

As stated by other in this thread, GoW looks good, real good. The textures are beautiful, but then it has trade-offs such as number of enemies on screen. Another game (won't get into game v game comparisons) may offer more enemies, greater draw distance and greater physics based environments.

Both are equally amazing graphically, just in differing ways.

That's just my 2 cents.

Though that's true, it's also in confined play areas with limited views, and only a few characters. So graphically it's great, but only in a subset of total graphics aspects. If I draw up a list of graphical points that any game will have...

Mesh complexity
Number of objects
Texture resolution
Multiple Textures (normal maps, diffuse, specular etc.)
Dynamic Lighting
View Range
Shader Complexity
Frame Rate
Animation quality (smoothness, nuimber of motions, etc.)
Particle Complexity
Post Effects
coincidence, i was actually just thinking of making a table of these (more for my own game though), because (unlike others) u can actually measure the quality of the graphics engine

A cool quote from Ken Lobb creator of Goldeneye:

I finished the game for the first time this afternoon... This game is insanely good. I have always thought that this was going to be a game that would really matter to us, but DAMN!!! The story is cool, the gameplay is far more varied than I expected, the graphics blew my mind, and continued to get better and better through the whole experience. Every time I stopped playing over the last few days, I have been pulled back for more, and have been thinking about what I just went through, and where I was going to be headed next. Awesome!

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=552695

That is one hell of an endorsement. IMO when gears of war comes out it will be the best looking game to ever be released. I am sure it won't be to long into 2007 where someone takes the crown. To me the game is mindblowing in how good it looks and thankfull the framerate seems to be solid. This is just a taste of things to come this generation I can't wait.

I would add the disclaimer that this guy heads the Microsoft Gaming Devision, so it's not like he still works for Nintendo or something.
Have to agree. It would only be news if he wasn't impressed with the game. I think Lobb is a pretty respectable guy, don't get me wrong, but there is a serious conflict of interest there.

I still don't get the "it doesn't have a ton of enemies on screen" comments for GoW.It's obvious why these comments are coming but seriously give me a break.The game is not a fps and i don't remember comments like that for games like RE4.Why do people make complains that should be more suitable for fps???Don't worry ,all you who "suddenly" remembered that scale is all that matters in videogames,Halo3 will come and make "other" fps look tiny in temrs of scale.Anyway i remember early GoW footage(gas station) showing tons of flying creatures filling the screen so i am sure that these "complains" will be over after the game gets released.But then people will have to search and find something else to whine.

Oh and why do people mention the big ships of resistance??We haven't seen any boss characters or anything in GoW(and there's bound to be some huge monsters if you've followed this game).

I still don't get the "it doesn't have a ton of enemies on screen" comments for GoW.It's obvious why these comments are coming but seriously give me a break.The game is not a fps and i don't remember comments like that for games like RE4.Why do people make complains that should be more suitable for fps???Don't worry ,all you who "suddenly" remembered that scale is all that matters in videogames,Halo3 will come and make "other" fps look tiny in temrs of scale.Anyway i remember early GoW footage(gas station) showing tons of flying creatures filling the screen so i am sure that these "complains" will be over after the game gets released.But then people will have to search and find something else to whine.

Oh and why do people mention the big ships of resistance??We haven't seen any boss characters or anything in GoW(and there's bound to be some huge monsters if you've followed this game).

I still have the videos of this on my comp at home and I distinctly remember that the flying creatures in the gas station demo where dome using flat, dark coloured particles rather than full rendered,textured, shaded and lit geometric models..

Just wanted to let you kno..

Oh,the topic here is "GoW-Best graphics ever".WTF do these general comments have to do with the topic?
That's pretty paradoxical. Yes, "Best Graphic EVER" [sic] is the topic. If comparisons to other games are somehow forbidden, how would one go and establish "best"? You can't, that's how. "Best", if my education wasn't terribly misguided, means "better than everything else [in its context]", so if comparisons somehow aren't allowed here for peace's sake or whatever, then claims of something being "best" shouldn't be allowed either, and for the very same reasons.
But I figure they are because the thread is still open. Just live with it.

And RE4 isn't widely criticized for having too few enemies at once because it does show many enemies at once on several occasions -- or endless occasions if you peruse the Mercenaries game mode. Not a hundred, but surely ten or so. Enough to make it really frantic in any case. I must have missed where that was brought up as criticism against Gears of War but since you wanted to talk about it ...

I still don't get the "it doesn't have a ton of enemies on screen" comments for GoW.
Again, which people said that? I brought up that topic, but only to qualify the term 'best'. I personally find it very hard to qualify a game as 'best looking' when there's lots of different looks. Which is the best looking title, God Of War or Okami? How do you even qualify that statement when they're so different? Well, as has been pointed out, for those that do rate a game as 'best' it's a subjective thing. It just appeals to them more than other titles. For an objective consideration, best is nigh on impossible to determine unlessone game manages to win on all counts. As an example, SnowBlind Studio's games win the 'best looking' titles of thse genres because they win on all features - animation, framerate, detail, particles, etc. That's comparing like titles with like looks though. For someting like GOW vs. Okami, they both great lookers and the only way to decide which is 'best' is personal preference rather than technical observation.

So if you were confusing my point, I'll reiterate, GOW is a great looking game. It's one of the top titles so far for next-gen. In creating it's look, working the available resources for it's style and scope, it does a stellar job. But I don't think it's better than all other games because other games have different technical demands and have spent the resources differently. I also have no problem with some people subjectively ranking this their favourite looking game. I only asked to see if those people were being subjective or objective (and if the latter, what their criteria was).

I find it difficult to label any 1 game, "Best Graphic EVER" for the sole reason that different games offer differing visual experiences.

As stated by other in this thread, GoW looks good, real good. The textures are beautiful, but then it has trade-offs such as number of enemies on screen.

again, according to whom? People here haven't seen enough of the game to make a statement like this. We've seen a bit of the first level combat and that's it. WE still know nothing about the game. we haven't seen the ability to give orders to your men, vehicles, just how many enemies will be on screen at one time, how the gameplay varies, etc...

Not to turn in this into a game vs game thread, but with that I fully agree, if there one game that should take price for being generic that would go to resistance...

The thing that's humorous t me is that i have personally have yet to see an original shooter IMO.

The most original game I've last played is katamari damacy

again, according to whom? People here haven't seen enough of the game to make a statement like this. We've seen abit of the first level combat and that's it. WE still know nothing about the game. we haven't seen the ability to give orders to your men, vehicles, just how many enemies will be on screen at one time, etc...
As we're revewing the linked-to footage, we can only comment on that, no? If they show a later video with hundreds of enemies in epic scope and still with this detail, opinions can be reevaluated. At the moment, the video footage that spurred the comment 'this is the best looking game ever' is very different in scope to other titles, so on technical grounds there's not really an objective argument there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back